Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 10 Albums We Love to Hate from 10 Artists We Love
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10 Albums We Love to Hate from 10 Artists We Love

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 Albums We Love to Hate from 10 Artists We Love
    Posted: July 04 2023 at 18:04
In no particular order:

1. Kowtow - Pendragon
2. In a Moment of Complete Madness - Galahad
3. Invisible Touch - Genesis
4. Nomzamo - IQ
5. Marillion.com - Marillion
6. Presto - Rush
7. The Seventh Degree of Separation - Arena
8. We Can't Dance - Genesis
9. Are You Sitting Comfortably? - IQ
10. Holidays In Eden - Marillion
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2023 at 12:21
My list would include the following:

Love Beach
Black Moon
Big Generator
Tormato
Union
Abacab
Shapes
Invisible Touch
Giant For A Day
A Momentary Lapse of Reason (or Final Cut take your pick)

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 10:00
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I do like a lot of later Tangerine Dream (Finnegan's Wake and Views From A Red Train especially) but the band seriously lost it's way after about 1988. It was very hard to take stuff like Valentine Wheels and Melrose seriously. I agree Goblins Club is good and also worth a mention as is Seven Letters From Tibet. I also enjoy the trilogy of releases based on Dante's works especially Purgatorio. I even stumped up for the box set after saying I wouldn't!

In Search of Hades and Pilots are both amazing box sets (Hades more so). It'd be nice to get a third round from the remaining years Chris Franke was onboard, but I highly doubt it will happen. Just about all of the '80s soundtracks have been reissued, too, including a 2CD remaster of Miracle Mile that I consider indispensable.

What was ARE going to get, sooner or later, is a fourth round from the Official Bootleg Series, and there will be a complete show from the '80s in there.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 08:13
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

IQ - Resistance - I keep trying with it but it just bores me for maybe 70% of the album - love the rest of their albums
Marillion - Somewhere Else (or, as I like to call it, Wish I Was Listening To Something Else); although Radiation is pretty much on a (low) par
Dream Theater - The Astonishing

Resistance bored me the first five listens.  Now, I adore it.  

I've read that quite a few have struggled with Resistance, or at least one side of it or the other... it bemuses me a little as I see it as just being a natural progression from ROB...

Somewhere Else, I have never heard... kind of fell out of love with Marillion 20 years back and although I occasionally listen to their old stuff, I've never really picked up with them again.

The Astonishing.... well, for me it truly is yawn inducing.

Road Of Bones is incredible - pretty much a perfect album! But Resistance just meanders, plods for way too long. Apart from If Anything/For Another Lifetime/The Great Spirit Way….
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 04:01
Originally posted by edefakiel edefakiel wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

so 10 favorite prog artists, any genre right? That will take a while. LOL
Some of them have not released something I dislike. This is going to be hard and I am complicating things. LOL

It took me a whole week to come up with my bottom 10 list, so there's plenty of time. Smile

I can name dozens of well-known prog artists who've never released an album I dislike, including:- The Alan Parsons Project; Jon Anderson; Barclay James Harvest; Camel; Caravan; Dead Can Dance; Deep Purple; ELO; ELP; The Enid; Genesis; David Gilmour; Annie Haslam; If; Jade Warrior;  Led Zeppelin; Jon Lord; Man; The Moody Blues;  Nektar; Sally Oldfield; Pink Floyd;  Procol Harum; Rare Bird; Traffic; Uriah Heep; Roger Waters; & Yes, to name just a few. Smile

Man, it is hard to think that you can enjoy A Valid Path, The Endless River, Calling All Stations, The Single Factor, Metallic Spheres...

I feel shivers. 
I wasn't thinking of Metallic Spheres, which is more of an Orb album than a David Gilmour album. Wink
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 03:42
^ The reason I didn't mention Tangerine Dream is that while I do love the 14-15 albums or so that I own - in total I've heard more albums by them that I really didn't enjoy.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2023 at 03:29
I do like a lot of later Tangerine Dream (Finnegan's Wake and Views From A Red Train especially) but the band seriously lost it's way after about 1988. It was very hard to take stuff like Valentine Wheels and Melrose seriously. I agree Goblins Club is good and also worth a mention as is Seven Letters From Tibet. I also enjoy the trilogy of releases based on Dante's works especially Purgatorio. I even stumped up for the box set after saying I wouldn't!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 17:24
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

@verslibre: As I love Tangerine Dream I like that you defend even the work that I don't find so convincing. True fandom isn't really for me but I appreciate your efforts anyway. Of course in the end it all comes down to taste, but who knows, I may give some stuff another try that you say is better than I remember it is (I haven't listened to Firestarter and Tyger for 30+ years, but I did spin Underwater Sunlight & Poland again fairly recently). I find Stuntman AWESOME, so your avatar already gives you lots of credit.

I used to be a lot harder on them, especially when Jerome joined. The 90s are universally regarded as their worst decade. Going back to the late 1980s, I'm split on Optical Race and Lily on the Beach; the former's best tracks are better than the latter's, but LotB's gears come to a grinding halt once you get to "Radio City," i.e., Jerome's first appearance. (The album proceeds to disappoint as it plays out, almost like a spell was cast.)

While Chris and Johannes were there, they kicked so much rear! Like I said in my reply to Richard, it took a while for Edgar to get his groove back, and it happened when (wait for it) Jerome exited and Edgar's protégé Thorsten Q. took the reins.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 16:40
@verslibre: As I love Tangerine Dream I like that you defend even the work that I don't find so convincing. True fandom isn't really for me but I appreciate your efforts anyway. Of course in the end it all comes down to taste, but who knows, I may give some stuff another try that you say is better than I remember it is (I haven't listened to Firestarter and Tyger for 30+ years, but I did spin Underwater Sunlight & Poland again fairly recently). I find Stuntman AWESOME, so your avatar already gives you lots of credit. 
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 12:39
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Keys to Ascension felt like real Yes again...because it was.

For me, 'KeyStudio' is easily the best Yes album since 1977....
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 12:15
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Fugazi, eh? It's one of the two Marillion albums I like. LOL

Union is better than some other Yes albums, too, but I realize it's subjective.

I listened to the Derek W. Dick albums NON-STOP throughout the 1980s. Now they all leave me ice cold.

Union is the only Yes album I've ever parted ways with. I liked it at first, it has three decent songs, but it didn't last with me. There are a number of other Yes albums I've never purchased/listened to because I was warned ahead of time (Open Your Eyes, etc.).

The good material on Union is good. I didn't like the majority of Talk and never went past the title track of OYE.

Keys to Ascension felt like real Yes again...because it was.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 12:08

Fugazi, eh? It's one of the two Marillion albums I like. LOL

Union is better than some other Yes albums, too, but I realize it's subjective.

I listened to the Derek W. Dick albums NON-STOP throughout the 1980s. Now they all leave me ice cold.

Union is the only Yes album I've ever parted ways with. I liked it at first, it has three decent songs, but it didn't last with me. There are a number of other Yes albums I've never purchased/listened to because I was warned ahead of time (Open Your Eyes, etc.).
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 12:07

Up to and including Underwater Sunlight I think TD were still putting out good stuff. Agree what you said earlier about Tyger, after that it was a slippery slope that followed. Edgar decided to shoe horn his son into the band in the early 90's and that didn't help matters imo.

Tyger was an experiment, but a successful one compared to subsequent efforts that involved a vocalist (like Madcap's Flaming Duty and Under Cover). Plus, the three instrumentals are very good.

After Franke and Haslinger left it was Tangerine Dream in name only.

Up to a point, but Edgar got his mojo back in the 2000s.

EDIT: Some good albums happened in the '90s: Quinoa, Goblins Club, Oasis (a soundtrack).

Edited by verslibre - May 05 2023 at 12:10
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 12:05
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I'm fine with Hot Space overall, the main "crime" probably being that it is more pop than rock. Listening to it on its own premises, I think there are some rather intriguing moments, especially "Action This Day", "Cool Cat" and even "Body Language". The latter has a noir feel to it that actually fascinates me. I would also prefer it to, say, The Miracle at any time. What you can say is, you can sense in the music, that not everything was well within the band, and especially Brian May's contributions sound half hearted.

I agree. I don't know if May's contributions are half-hearted, but I read that May and Taylor were rather miserable while working on this album. If I remember right, May wrote Put Out the Fire and Las Palabras de Amor, Dancer and did a great guitar solo (IMO) for Back Chat.  Taylor wrote Action This Day and Calling All Girls. Deacon and Freddie wrote a lot for the album. As far as I know, Under Pressure was a collective effort. 

I read it was expected of them to write songs in the style of their famous hit Another One Bites the Dust. 

Oh, and Cool cat is awesome. Thumbs Up There I said it, too. LOL

Edited by Cristi - May 05 2023 at 16:50
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 12:03
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

What do you not like in '84-86? All tops, IMO, especially Poland.

Poland and Underwater Sunlight are fine even though I don't listen remotely as often to them as to what came before, Le Parc less so, I mean it has some good stuff but is more superficial than earlier work, and I'm not a fan of Firestarter and Heartbreakers, which are much weaker than earlier soundtracks. The latter three are still enjoyable to some extent but three stars max for me (in fact also Underwater Sunlight which is good but hasn't anything really exciting on it). They churned out some further soundtracks in these years that I don't know.

Firestarter is spectacular, IMO. The compositions are excellent (not that far removed from Hyperborea, just shorter tracks), and their tech was all top-line, with every important piece available at the time (the inner sleeve of Poland provides a convenient list of much of what they were using at the time). Juicy sounds galore!

I love Underwater Sunlight, especially the first side. Edgar's guitar solo is beautifully emotive.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 11:37
I'm fine with Hot Space overall, the main "crime" probably being that it is more pop than rock. Listening to it on its own premises, I think there are some rather intriguing moments, especially "Action This Day", "Cool Cat" and even "Body Language". The latter has a noir feel to it that actually fascinates me. I would also prefer it to, say, The Miracle at any time. What you can say is, you can sense in the music, that not everything was well within the band, and especially Brian May's contributions sound half hearted.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 11:34
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

IQ - Resistance - I keep trying with it but it just bores me for maybe 70% of the album - love the rest of their albums
Marillion - Somewhere Else (or, as I like to call it, Wish I Was Listening To Something Else); although Radiation is pretty much on a (low) par

I've read that quite a few have struggled with Resistance, or at least one side of it or the other... it bemuses me a little as I see it as just being a natural progression from ROB...

Somewhere Else, I have never heard... kind of fell out of love with Marillion 20 years back and although I occasionally listen to their old stuff, I've never really picked up with them again.

The Astonishing.... well, for me it truly is yawn inducing.

Edited by Jared - May 05 2023 at 11:37
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 11:25

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 10:19
I don't tend to find these kinds of lists at all edifying. I came across an Ad for a T-shirt with a bear and the expression 'I Prefer Their Earlier Stuff' which I think says it all really, but some stand outs for me would include:

Hawkwind: PXR-5
Renaissance: Time Line
BJH: Victims Of Circumstance
Camel: The Single Factor
Yes: Open Your Eyes
ELO: Balance Of Power (it really was awful)
Genesis: Calling All Stations
Rush: Vapor Trails (does nothing for me, whatsoever....)
Moody Blues: The Other Side Of Life
Marillion: .Com (at least Radiation was vaguely listable to... this one is where me and Marillion parted ways)

And I'll also throw in as extras, because I really don't know what either band were thinking:

Dream Theater: The Astonishing
Therion: Beloved Antichrist

essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2023 at 09:33
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>