Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rosfest has officially ended

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rosfest has officially ended
    Posted: December 29 2020 at 09:05
This news is a few days old but I figured I would post it since nobody else has. From the face book page:

The Rites of Spring Festival says “Goodbye, for now”.

RoSfest has been a treasure in the progressive rock world for the last 17 years and it has been my privilege to produce and host one of the best progressive rock music festivals in the world, but RoSfest will officially end its 16-year run in 2020. Dedicated to delivering the highest level of talent, production, and timing is central to what RoSfest represented; an outlet for a niche genre called Progressive Rock that provided a venue for new up and coming artists from around the globe.

Running a music festival can be breathtakingly rewarding, but also quite expensive due to production, insurance, venue rental, hotel rental, staff accommodations, band expenses, vehicle rentals, etc. Additionally, the US government has made it harder and harder to acquire permits for working artists from around the world to perform in the US. Increasing artist permit requirements and fees makes it almost impossible for young bands to travel abroad. RoSfest has been a labor of love but has been struggling financially for years and can’t survive another “Covid” crisis. Unfortunately, we are not able to keep operating the festival at a loss.

On a personal note, I feel so lucky to have been part of this organization. To work with such an incredible staff and dedicated volunteers and to interact with the best Progressive audiophiles in the world. RoSfest has been magical and could not have existed without YOU…. the best and most supportive audience anyone could hope for. Without such an incredible community, RoSfest would not have been possible. I am so thankful for all of your support and dedication throughout our festival years.

RoSfest will continue its core mission to support the art of Progressive Rock and may surprise you (at some point) with a special concert in the future. But for now, with tearful heartfelt thanks from all of us at RoSfest, it’s been an honor to interact with such accomplished and inspiring musicians and music lovers in the progressive rock community.

In the words of RoSfest’s production manager, Kevin Madrishin, “We did it right!”

George Roldan
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 09:22
Sad news, was a well run festival for a lot of years. It was never my particular scene musically, I went to one and had a great time. Guess we are down to ProgDay and Progstock now.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2020 at 12:00
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Sad news, was a well run festival for a lot of years. It was never my particular scene musically, I went to one and had a great time. Guess we are down to ProgDay and Progstock now.

It would seem so. At least as far as the east coast in the US is concerned anyway. 

I went to a total of 9 Rosfests. Although it concentrated on symph prog and neo prog and stuff that leaned a bit heavier(heavy prog and a little bit of prog metal) they did throw in the occasional curve ball with bands like Lazuli, Moetar, Asturias, Thank You Scientist and Brand X. 

Anyway, it was a great festival that will be missed by many. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 29 2020 at 12:02
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 07:57
We've been sadly without a 'fest on the west coast for years now.  I'm moving to Texas to start my own... "Cattle Prog."
LOL
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 09:42
Originally posted by TerLJack TerLJack wrote:

We've been sadly without a 'fest on the west coast for years now.
LOL

Not completely true. Seaprog is postponed for 2020 but has been maintained since 2013 and appears to intend continuation after the pandemic has subsided.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 12:42
Hi,

I have really mixed emotions on these things ... and my biggest concern is how so many of them have not been able, or refused, to update their concert with streaming possibilities and other ideas of reaching fans ... they, instead, continued to the concert ways, and expecting fans, and sure enough, something happened that killed all that ... and now ... the bands and musicians are the ones that suffer from it ... because many fans, even in progressive areas, will say that the bands were not great and were minor since their favorite is better and was not at the show! (... something like that!...)

Sadly, this is not the first time I have seen this and the first one was Sean Ahearn in 1999, that probably put on one of the greatest of shows (SF Progressive Music Festival)  ... only to probably lose over 50K on the whole thing. Saddest thing I have ever seen.

It's still a total mystery to me why these processes are not getting more attention and delivering ... I don't know how well Rachel Flowers does with it, but I don't see her stopping, and not showing the music! My own dentist of 35 years is a reasonably well known bass player around the Portland area, and he has the acumen to modernize his office (computers everywhere with all the pictures of the teeth and such!), and then he has been talking about all the stuff he has been doing with other musicians LIVE on the internet ... and he states that he is totally surprised that the "lag" is so minimal as to not be a factor in the piece of music, not to mention that all the musicians involved are listening to the "result" and they can adjust a little if they need to by extending something, or shorting something else. He has stated that in all his adventures, none of these moments have taken place ... 

And yet .. .here we are going into another funeral, without the desire, ability or strength to carry on ... by doing something to the music and help it get bigger and better.

IN THE END, WE ARE GOING TO SUFFER even more!

WHY?

Easy ... by the time a rich band, gets around to this, you will have a Rolling Stones concert on stream, and a reunion of Jack and the Beanstalks and then Paul revere and the Raiders, and then ... who ever else, and AGAIN ... this Progressive Music gets an incredible hit and painful moment ... as we sit here and pray hard ... how religious of us to do the same thing as 5 to 10 thousand years ... oh, well, maybe we can get Neal Morse to help us with some lyrics.

One harsh criticism ... the greed and money of some bigger bands and their lack of help for these things ... not that one of them will demand top billing or the like, but that they do not want their material to be spread around ... well, all I can tell you that the one band that was not afraid of that, is probably, STILL, one of the richest bands in the world, and they share everything from concerts in 1966 to the last concert by Jerry ... and you can even download many of these yourself and hear one song 27 different times!

There is nothing to fear, but fear itself ... and the laziness with which we go about it, is scary ... it's like saying that the wrong people are at the "controls" of this thing ... and while their reasons are honorable, the sad fact remains ... it's the same thing over and over! And not many bands get interested because it is out of time and sync with today. And an old band is not going to be an attraction as much as it was 20 or 30 years ago!

I refuse to go into MOURNING on these things ... I will raise a glass and toast the spirit of it all and the owner's desire and attempts, and hope, ONCE AGAIN, that we start creating a future instead of a hole in the ground 6 feet deep complete with box and service!

The art/arts do not die ... EVER ... they are one of the few things that last forever and are remembered and appreciated. And I like to ask, knowing that I sound like a jerk saying it ... where do you stand?

Edited by moshkito - January 01 2021 at 11:00
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
TheCaptain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 08:29
Glad I managed to make it to one before they called it quits. It was great walking around town and running into various band members.

Edited by TheCaptain - January 19 2021 at 08:31
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 16:05
Originally posted by TheCaptain TheCaptain wrote:

Glad I managed to make it to one before they called it quits. It was great walking around town and running into various band members.

Which one did you go to?
 Post Reply Post Reply