Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rolling Stone Top 500 All Time Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 14:49
People demand "best of" lists and then get upset because their favorites aren't where they should be.  

I don't put much stock in them.  It's all based on opinion, no matter how professional they are.  Everyone hears something different when they listen to music and it always touches them in different ways.  

The only time I enjoy "top lists" when it comes to music is when it is put together by someone I know, including individuals in PA.  I have found artists I like that I otherwise might have passed by, but if I hear something I don't like, it's still okay, they like it and I don't, it doesn't make me or them any better or worse because of it.

Music should be listened to without prejudice.  Corporate-made lists only create prejudice in my opinion.

Edited by TCat - December 30 2020 at 14:50

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 14:59
^ Well again, the voters were made up from artists, music industry people, music journalists and RS writers. It's not like Sony/Universal Music put the list together.
But I agree with your list assessment and why we listen to music.

The popularity of what kind of music is popular now is not surprising.......maybe rock is dead!!?? Cry LOL
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 15:27
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Although I disagree, there should be some representation from the Classical genre. I don't get what you mean a "musical score and not a recording". Beethoven wrote music and other people recorded that music, we don't have anything by him, but that's no different in Michael Jackson recording Thriller that was written by Rod Temperton....maybe I misunderstand your point.

My point is, the idea of the album as an art form is something that came with rock music. I would think of f.e. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band as an artistic work in its own right. I wouldn't think of a classical recording as a 'work' in the same way, but more as a recorded performance of the work (the 'work' here being the music that's written down by the composer). After all the European classical music tradition is the product of a time when sound recording did not exist, so the only way you could reproduce the music as written by the composer was the score. Or, as in folk music, by keeping the music alive from generation to generation, but then it naturally changed a lot over time.

Also, in the world of popular music, the performing artist gets most of the attention, and a song like Thriller is associated more with Michael Jackson than with Rod Temperton. The single cover doesn't say "Rod Temperton - Thriller (vocals by Michael Jackson)". I believe that's at least partly due to the impact of recorded music; people then get to hear the exact same performance of the song. In cover versions of popular music the arrangements usually differ a lot from the original. And to my knowledge, pop and rock arrangements are normally created in the studio or during band rehearsals. I don't know many rock musicians who write the music down on notes first, and then record it accordingly (except perhaps Frank Zappa).

With classical music there is a score that tells you exactly how to play the music, so the differences between performances of the same work are fewer. Of couse a classical piece can sound different because of how the conductor decides to phrase the notes, what tempo he uses, how good the musicians are, etc. These things have a big artistic impact of course, but it is still essentially the same notes.

To put it differently. If you are looking for "Thriller" in a record store, you will have to look under Michael Jackson, not Rod Temperton. But to find a Leonard Bernstein recording of Beethovens 5th symphony with the New York Philharmonic, you will have to look under Beethoven, not Bernstein, nor the New York Philharmonic.

Edited by The Anders - December 30 2020 at 15:37
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 15:57

Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Looking at the top 50, there are 11 albums I would classify as hiphop. In comparison, there are 26 I would call rock (in one way or another, and including for instance singer/songwriter albums like those by Carole King and Joni Mitchell), 11 albums that are soul or r&b, and then 1 reggae and 1 jazz album. So it is not like hiphop has taken over, it is just that rock music is not necessarily the big normative anymore that it once was. And in all honesty, why should it?

Another thing is, apart from that the list is not very diverse. There are many important album releases in genres other than these, but they are not represented. F.e. there is nothing electronic in the top 50, no folk music, and it it seems like a joke to me to have 1 jazz album.

As for classical music, it wouldn't make much sense to talk about albums because the 'work' here is essentially a musical score, not a recording. There may be many recordings of classical music, but obviously you can't have Beethoven's 5th symphony as one of the "greatest albums". You could in principle have a particular outstanding recording of that symphony, but again, the work definition is different here.

And then that furthermore emphasizes the meaininglessness of these lists.
That's my point, rock is not the norm anymore, rap/hip-hop is the norm....but it is what it is, it's the most popular genre of music in most of the world. And I agree, all of these lists have a lot of meaningless worth to them, including PA's, all of them are filled with subjectivism. 
Although I disagree, there should be some representation from the Classical genre. I don't get what you mean a "musical score and not a recording". Beethoven wrote music and other people recorded that music, we don't have anything by him, but that's no different in Michael Jackson recording Thriller that was written by Rod Temperton....maybe I misunderstand your point.

I think RS pushed on the diversity thing overall, I do remember the list in past years getting slammed for being almost all white male performers, very little female artists.
I would suggest the voters are abjectly ignorant regarding music. And I am not referring to just prog, which RS has ignored since the 70s. I quickly scanned the TOP 50, and you're trying to tell me that just one jazz album is listed? Just one, A Kind of Blue. No milestone albums from Thelonious Monk. No John Coltrane. No Charles Mingus, Dave Brubeck or Sonny Rollins. Including Kind of Blue, there are a grand total of 3 in the top 100. That is simply ignorance of music.

No country album in the top 50. No blues album in the top 50. No progressive rock album in the top 50. 
Sorry, it's just plain ignorance -- brought to you from the same folks who include every genre for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Homogenized, pasteurized ignorance.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 16:02
^ Ok......I get your point. But still, the list is titled Top 500 All Time Albums, all time being all time and an album being of any musical genre. I doubt the word Album means only the recorded work by the original artist/composer/writer.

That being said I think a list of "All Time" should include music that also came before and where it may have derived from. How Bernstein interpreted Beethoven's music is what is the point, Bernstein brought to us the majesty of Beethoven and that's all we can go by, excluding Beethoven because we don't have recordings of his own works is not a base for ignoring him. In that case one should never listen to classical music performed by someone else, since its not certain that is how it was suppose to sound...

Different topic for another thread, but you bring up a point about composers from yesteryear.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 16:11
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Looking at the top 50, there are 11 albums I would classify as hiphop. In comparison, there are 26 I would call rock (in one way or another, and including for instance singer/songwriter albums like those by Carole King and Joni Mitchell), 11 albums that are soul or r&b, and then 1 reggae and 1 jazz album. So it is not like hiphop has taken over, it is just that rock music is not necessarily the big normative anymore that it once was. And in all honesty, why should it?

Another thing is, apart from that the list is not very diverse. There are many important album releases in genres other than these, but they are not represented. F.e. there is nothing electronic in the top 50, no folk music, and it it seems like a joke to me to have 1 jazz album.

As for classical music, it wouldn't make much sense to talk about albums because the 'work' here is essentially a musical score, not a recording. There may be many recordings of classical music, but obviously you can't have Beethoven's 5th symphony as one of the "greatest albums". You could in principle have a particular outstanding recording of that symphony, but again, the work definition is different here.

And then that furthermore emphasizes the meaininglessness of these lists.
That's my point, rock is not the norm anymore, rap/hip-hop is the norm....but it is what it is, it's the most popular genre of music in most of the world. And I agree, all of these lists have a lot of meaningless worth to them, including PA's, all of them are filled with subjectivism. 

I think RS pushed on the diversity thing overall, I do remember the list in past years getting slammed for being almost all white male performers, very little female artists.
I would suggest the voters are abjectly ignorant regarding music. And I am not referring to just prog, which RS has ignored since the 70s. I quickly scanned the TOP 50, and you're trying to tell me that just one jazz album is listed? Just one, A Kind of Blue. No milestone albums from Thelonious Monk. No John Coltrane. No Charles Mingus, Dave Brubeck or Sonny Rollins. Including Kind of Blue, there are a grand total of 3 in the top 100. That is simply ignorance of music.

No country album in the top 50. No blues album in the top 50. No progressive rock album in the top 50. 
Sorry, it's just plain ignorance -- brought to you from the same folks who include every genre for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Homogenized, pasteurized ignorance.
I don't disagree....dude you know these lists are always about what is popular or what is liked by someone. Rarely is there a criteria that states the music should have significance like what Monk and Coltrane for example contributed, Coltrane is in the total list. The Top 50 is clearly what is more popular vs important to music.....Why do you think Billie Eilish, HER and Beyonce are some of the voters?? 100% because they are popular today. If Hank Williams Jr son (III) recorded rock or rap music and sold 20million albums he would be a voter LOL!

That's why I would love to see the voters ballots.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 16:20

^ Ok......I get your point. But still, the list is titled Top 500 All Time Albums, all time being all time and an album being of any musical genre. I doubt the word Album means only the recorded work by the original artist/composer/writer.

That being said I think a list of "All Time" should include music that also came before and where it may have derived from. How Bernstein interpreted Beethoven's music is what is the point, Bernstein brought to us the majesty of Beethoven and that's all we can go by, excluding Beethoven because we don't have recordings of his own works is not a base for ignoring him. In that case one should never listen to classical music performed by someone else, since its not certain that is how it was suppose to sound...

Different topic for another thread, but you bring up a point about composers from yesteryear.

But then I think it would make more sense to drop the word 'album' and instead make a list of '500 greatest musical works'. That could embrace both great rock albums and great classical pieces. Anyway, if such a list is to make any sense, it requires a much broader musical horizon and knowledge than Rolling Stone seem to have.

What it does exclude, however, is music traditions based on improvisation, and probably also traditional 'generation to generation' folk music. So all in all I still think it would be an impossible task to do all music justice that way.

Edited by The Anders - December 30 2020 at 16:25
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 17:21
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

To say it's a joke would be insulting to the word joke.

Exactly this
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 18:04
Rolling Stone has such a f***ed-up musical taste

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 18:50
^ As much as I agree, what is really the question are the voters. We don't (should not) blame PA for the Top 100 Albums, well some do, but its the voters (reviewers) that created our PA Top 100.........Same with RS Top 500 list, look at the voters link.
And yea, many of those have a "f***ed-up musical taste".

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 02:21
I started looking at the list and then thought to myself "why am I doing this?" and closed the site

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 03:49
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I started looking at the list and then thought to myself "why am I doing this?" and closed the site

You've just saved me the time and trouble of looking at the list. Smile
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 04:20
I can’t be bothered with lists over many pages. I don’t have the patience to wait for them to load, and wade through them all, so I skipped to the last page (50-1) and right to number one.

I worked my way back from there, as far as number 20, and I honestly don’t see what the problem is? 🤷🏻‍♂️ It seems a pretty good list based on those 20. I’ve not heard them all, but I’ve heard of them all, and I can recognise their importance in musical history.

Lists will always be subjective, and this one seems a better one than most, with an obvious attempt to be more diverse and inclusive than many others I’ve come across. Given the source, Rolling Stone, that’s even more impressive. That magazine is hardly a cornerstone of diversity and inclusivity, after all. I imagine this list may enrage its own readership as much as it seems to have riled some of you.

I’ve even less concern about the list of voters, which is again a diverse and inclusive pool.

Admittedly, I’ve not pursued the entire list. So yeah, perhaps it is still too Western-centric.  But from the small portion I did look at, it seems a “better” list than many I’ve seen (even though I might agree with some of those other lists more).

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 04:20
the mere fact that there are only about 10 albums on the list that are not from the UK or the USA speaks volumes. total nitwits

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 04:43
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

the mere fact that there are only about 10 albums on the list that are not from the UK or the USA speaks volumes. total nitwits

Yes, and no. Playing Devil’s Advocate, if these are the Greatest Albums of all time as seen through a Western-centric lens, then there are relatively few albums outside the UK or US that would be recognised as deserving of a spot - depending on how you understand “greatest”.

Unlike lists in any given year, where people attempt to portray the “greatest” albums of the year, and generally mean the best in as objective manner as they can muster, lists of all time tend to mean “greatest” to mean those that had the most impact or influence. So where in any given year, I would expect to see a large amount of albums not from the UK or US, I don’t expect to see the same from lists of all time. For the simple reason that most (NB I said most!) innovations in Western music have come from either the UK or the US.

So, if I were making a list of the greatest albums of all time that represented what I think (trying to be objective) are the best of all time, then it would likely have far more albums NOT from the UK and the US, than from those two behemoths.

But, if I were making a list of the greatest albums of all time that represented what I think (again trying to be objective) are the most impactful and influential of all time, then it would likely have far more albums from the UK and the US, than not. 🤷🏻‍♂️

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 05:15
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Yes, and no. Playing Devil’s Advocate, if these are the Greatest Albums of all time as seen through a Western-centric lens, then there are relatively few albums outside the UK or US that would be recognised as deserving of a spot - depending on how you understand “greatest”.

Unlike lists in any given year, where people attempt to portray the “greatest” albums of the year, and generally mean the best in as objective manner as they can muster, lists of all time tend to mean “greatest” to mean those that had the most impact or influence. So where in any given year, I would expect to see a large amount of albums not from the UK or US, I don’t expect to see the same from lists of all time. For the simple reason that most (NB I said most!) innovations in Western music have come from either the UK or the US.

So, if I were making a list of the greatest albums of all time that represented what I think (trying to be objective) are the best of all time, then it would likely have far more albums NOT from the UK and the US, than from those two behemoths.

But, if I were making a list of the greatest albums of all time that represented what I think (again trying to be objective) are the most impactful and influential of all time, then it would likely have far more albums from the UK and the US, than not. 🤷🏻‍♂️

even being Western-centric there should be more albums from other countries. come on, no album representing Zeuhl? the German band Can were extremely influential on a lot of other artists; none from them on the list either

Edited by BaldJean - December 31 2020 at 05:17

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 08:14
I am perfectly fine with the list containing a lot of hiphop. After all, the genre has had an enormous influence within the last two decades, so it would be strange if it wasn't there. And once again, the number of rock albums is twice as big as the number of hiphop albums, at least in the top 50. The issue I have with the list is more the lack of general diversity, with regards to other types of music.

Hiphop is not my favourite genre either. There's a lot of stuff that I don't like personally, but at least I can acknowlege its artistic impact. When I do like hiphop, we're mostly speaking of the more experimental artists within the genre, and belive me, they do exist. The tough guy attitudes and misogynism present in a lot of hiphop puts me off personally, but hey, what about the Rolling Stones?... "Look at that stupid girl"... Or what about several hard rock anthems. Not to mention the famous lifestyle with groupies and all that... But just like in rock, not all hiphop is like that.

Not all rock music is equallly great either. I don't personally have high thoughts on the artistic value of Bon Jovi, Europe, Boston or Kiss. But what happened after the 60's was that rock was made the all-dominating totem post that everything else was alligned too. Today, rock is a genre along with other genres, and to be honest, I think that's fine. Why does rock have to dominate? The times they are a-changing...

Also, I think it's nonsense to say that rock is dead. As long as people are still making original and artistically significant rock music, the genre will stay alive. It may not be the musical mainstream anymore, but that doesn't mean it's not there. I think a band like Pom Poko is a very good example of contemporary rock music that is original. Or Idles who really have something to say about the times we are living in. If the definition of being alive was being in the mainstream, then jazz would be dead many years ago, but there are still people making significant jazz music.

It is true that there is a lot of junk out there with little to no artistic content, but imo. I think it is wrong to make it a question of genres. All genres can produce great music if you make an effort and take them seriously.

Edited by The Anders - December 31 2020 at 08:15
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 09:09

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

even being Western-centric there should be more albums from other countries. come on, no album representing Zeuhl? the German band Can were extremely influential on a lot of other artists; none from them on the list either

Are we talking about the same list? Ege Bamyasi is on there, if around no. 450. And I haven't counted but it seemed to me that quite a bit more than 10 are there that are from outside US and UK. 

Personally I think that such a list could be better and worse by the way, it's fair enough by me, with some inexplicable choices thrown in, but what else could we expect? (Representing artists with a sampler, I remember Abba but there were others, is quite ignorant though, and should be below the level of anyone who calls themselves a music expert.)

Edited by Lewian - December 31 2020 at 09:14
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 09:16
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Are we talking about the same list? Ege Bamyasi is on there, if around no. 450. And I haven't counted but it seemed to me that quite a bit more than 10 are there that are from outside US and UK.
I wondered about that, too, but didn’t like to say, as I had not looked at the entire list. It seemed unlikely that there were only 10 from outside the UK and US, but I was willing to accept it. Given you’ve identified something in the list that was stated as not being present, I’m happy to believe now that there are quite a bit more than 10.

I think some people are just getting their knickers in a twist, and making a storm in a teacup. Please feel free to add your own metaphors, and mix as you feel appropriate.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 09:44
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

(Representing artists with a sampler, I remember Abba but there were others, is quite ignorant though, and should be below the level of anyone who calls themselves a music expert.)

I have cand mag grade in musicology, and I admire Abba. To me they are the proof that pop doesn't necessarily have to be assembly line music. It is very well crafted, the compositions are great, the albums are very well produced, and the musicianship is superb. It is pop, yes, but it is good pop.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>