Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two Jon Anderson solo title tracks

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which song do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [16.67%]
11 [61.11%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [22.22%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two Jon Anderson solo title tracks
    Posted: December 30 2020 at 16:09
A while back I had these two albums up against each other but now it's time for just the two epics(or at least mini epics)from these two very good(imo) albums. Also, for the first time ever I have decided to include clips for those who aren't otherwise familiar. If possible please listen to these songs twice each before voting(if you have the time) if you aren't already familiar with them.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 30 2020 at 16:11
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 17:30
These two epic songs remind me of just how good Jon Anderson's solo albums are (apart from 3 Ships), and I think Song of Seven just has the edge in this poll.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 18:10
^Really? I like three ships. One of the best Christmas albums ever imo. Anyway, I have to think about my own poll. I'm not sure yet which one I will choose.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 20:08
Yes is one of my fav prog bands---but never was a fan of Jon's solo albums--they seem to ramble on and without the driving Squire/Bruford/White rhythm section and Howe's amazing guitar--and Ricks or Patricks keyboard sonics ---they sound a rambling mess. Although I do like his Xmas album! lol
Jon needs strong collaborators like Yes or Vangelis---as Bruford said --and I'm paraphrasing --he comes into rehearsals "with doodles"--and they need to be organized and fleshed out.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2020 at 23:38
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

^Really? I like three ships. One of the best Christmas albums ever imo. Anyway, I have to think about my own poll. I'm not sure yet which one I will choose.

Although 3 Ships is my least favourite Jon Anderson album, it's still a good solid 3-star album. You're probably right about it being one of the best Christmas albums ever, because I can't think of a better one. I think it's just the idea of a highly regarded prog artist making a Christmas album that put me off it slightly. I usually associate Christmas albums with crooners such as Des O'Connor,  Bing Crosby, Tony Bennett & Engelbert Humperdinck. Smile

This is the best Jon Anderson epic ever, in my opinion: "Open" - released as a "single" in 2011.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 30 2020 at 23:44
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 07:31
Of the two, Song of Seven.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 07:50
Song Of Seven
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 05:34
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Amazingly, 3 Ships is currently the most viewed Jon Anderson playlist on my prog channel, with 2,774 views, compared to the classic Olias of Sunhillow album with just 36 views. Shocked Confused

Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 05:52
Both are good. However, Animation was the first multi-part progressive composition I fell in love with at the age or 13, so my choice is clear. Probably it would still make a deeper impression, if I heard them today for the first time. Yes, I'm sure of it.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 06:18
Neither. I rate Change We Must as his best solo effort.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 09:50
SOS
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply