Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [36.21%]
19 [32.76%]
18 [31.03%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theprogelitist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Änglagård vs Opeth vs The Flower Kings
    Posted: December 31 2020 at 00:19
Änglagård, Opeth and TFK got the most votes in the prog and prog metal polls. Let’s see how they stand against each other

The other polls:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=124913
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=124915
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 00:20
Flower Kings on this one.

Despite loving prog, and metal, Opeth never clicked with me, and I've given it a damn good effort!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 01:54
Opeth
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 02:21
Any of them that aren't The Flower Kings
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 02:51
I would have voted if there was an option 'All three'
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 03:21
Not really a fan of any of these overall, but Opeth has some mightily good music that I can properly enjoy where the singing is either bearable or absent.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 03:59
For the longest time, this was my experience of Opeth as well. And it’s why this poll is so easy for me. Because how many bands exist out there, that make so many people attempt to leave their comfort zones to try (and often try and try again) to appreciate the music.

I’ve met so many people who have had experiences similar to mine, where an absolute abhorrence and avoidance of Cookie Monster vocals has meant that we should not even have been approaching Opeth. And yet, from Blackwater Park onwards, every album they released I would be at a listening post in a record store trying to get my head around the music, and ultimately failing because of the vocals. Ugh! Horrendous. No matter how much I liked whatever else I might hear, those harsh vocals ruined it all for me.

Strangely, I expected to like Damnation (given it featured no harsh vocals), but it didn’t really appeal to me, and I was drawn more to Deliverance - and repelled in equal measure. At the time I thought I was alone in perversely returning to something that clearly wasn’t for me. I was never going to like those vocals. Since the advent of social media (or, at least as I was late to coming to it, since I joined the social media bandwagon), I have discovered I was not alone.

Opeth has led many listeners on a merry dance, like a Pied Piper drawing us back time and time again, seemingly against our own best interests. There’s no way you could say that for The Flower Kings.

I still don’t like harsh vocals. I doubt I ever will. But I can tolerate them now, and so much so that not only have I now bought much of Opeth’s discography, but I have continued to explore the world of extreme metal. Opeth were like a gateway drug, and once I could get past my aversion and revulsion of harsh vocals, a whole new musical world opened up. There’s more in it that I don’t like (and possibly never will), but I’m grateful to Opeth for giving me that key.

Regardless of the musical talent of any of the three bands here, Opeth deserve to be number one because they have broadened the musical horizons of so many.

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 06:24
Surely Anglagard.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 06:54
Anglagard is an extremely bold and talented symphonic prog band with not a dud in sight

The flower kings are lovely, they have my 2020 Album of the year

But Opeth I just hold to a whole different level. My second favorite band of all time only second to Camel, I love pretty much everything they’ve ever done and watching them progress and present a new sound album to album... nothing better
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 07:31
I'm going with The Flower Kings.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 07:48
The Flower Kings
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 07:51
Went with Opeth. Don't know Anglagard.

Would have Kaipa ahead of Opeth anyway🙂
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 07:56
Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

Any of them that aren't The Flower Kings

Wow, what do you have against the Flower Kings? Too retro sounding? Just wondering.
Theprogelitist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theprogelitist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 07:57
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Went with Opeth. Don't know Anglagard.

Would have Kaipa ahead of Opeth anyway🙂

You, sir, need to check out Änglagård! Their three studio albums are on YouTube and I suggest you start with Hybris. The music is powerful, complex, dark, beautiful and unique.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 08:11
I personally won't vote in polls where I don't know all the artists(maybe in larger ones but not when there's only three). I don't know Opeth that well so I didn't vote. I think Anglagard and TFK are great though.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 09:27
i will be disappointed, yet unsurprised, if The Flower Kings take the lead from Opeth. No matter how much talent the band holds, I don’t think they have brought anything new to prog the way Änglagård and Opeth have. Even though all three have retro tendencies, Änglagård and Opeth have never sounded stilted or dated, the way TFK often seem to me. Obviously, it’s personal preference, and very subjective, but TFK do nothing for me. They’re a band like Big Big Train or Wobbler that seem to inspire great devotion, yet with the exception of a few songs fail to raise any great emotion in me - positive or negative. Their music comes across to me as that bland and unchallenging, that I can’t even be bothered to state that I dislike them. There’s as much there for me to dislike as to like - near to nothing. But I can see the appeal for those who enjoy that sort of music, and I will expect them to eventually usurp Opeth in this poll. It’s somewhat inevitable.

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 09:58
I find nothing interesting or essential about TFK... at all.

Hybris is probably the best post-classic era symphonic album out there. But to me Änglagård just fall short of Opeth for the entirety of discography, uniqueness, and evolution/career arc. I'm not the biggest fan of Opeth's first few albums, but they really clicked after Blackwater Park. To me, Watershed is the finest example of a classic prog/death metal hybrid. Then their retro albums are pure gold. I'm a much bigger fan of Heritage than most.

Anyway, Opeth takes my vote easily.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 10:09
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I find nothing interesting or essential about TFK... at all.

Well you took a lot less words to say how I feel. My mum always did accuse me of having. Verbal diarrhoea....

Heritage is my favourite of the Opeth albums sans growls, but my overall favourite is probably Ghost Reveries. I have a feeling, though, that it might be because that was the album where the band finally clicked for me, and where I finally overcame my aversion to the harsh vocals.

I think, objectively, Watermark is probably a better album that Ghost Reveries - but my heart overrules my head here, and I’ll go for Ghost Reveries every time!

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 11:39
^ I'm with you, Ghost Reveries gang! Personally Pale Communion is my favorite non-growl Opeth record, and probably my second favorite overall sandwiched between GR and Still Life, so good!
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 13:51
Anglagard > The Flower Kings > Opeth
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>