Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

marillion ( misplaced childhood )

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: marillion ( misplaced childhood )
    Posted: December 31 2020 at 09:01
A favorite of mine ,i personally feel it is one of there more better albums, their debut A script for a jesters tear was the better record, but on marillions misplaced childhood has one crummy song on it for me it,s the hit KAYLEIGH too radio friendlyfor my ears the BITTER SUITE is best song, next best song is HEART OF LOTHIAN because fish was the singer and of scottish heritage it more listenable to me because i am also half scot, the LORDS OF THE BACKSTAGE is a song with great melody, steve rothery solo,s are just awesome, thanks for taking the time to read my review of misplaced childhood.
of five stars grant
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 09:12
One of my favourites as well. Pseudo Silk Kimono... The album starts off very dramatic and heart-rendering indeed. But it has many colours of emotions. And the ending is very uplilfting. A definitely 5 star album for me.
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 09:28
It would have been five stars for me if KAYLEIGH was absent.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 09:30
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

It would have been five stars for me if KAYLEIGH was absent.

it's got a great guitar solo, at least. 

great album, one of my favorites, I overplayed it, now i rarely listen to it in its entirety. 

Blind Curve is my favorite song on it. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 10:08
We all loved Kayleigh. Don’t forget just how important it was in the otherwise bleak 1980’s music scene that one of our own was achieving commercial success in addition to making great progressive rock music.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 10:11
I don't have a problem with Kayleigh. My issue is more with the fact that is seems that just about every other girl born in 85/86 was named Kayleigh because of that song. 

I had MC a long time ago on cassette. I need to get it again. I will say this though. It's probably the closest prog got to being mainstream in the 80's(that is not counting most of the usual suspects).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - December 31 2020 at 10:17
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2020 at 10:29
It's flat out a brilliant album, not many bands I feel have multiple masterpieces, Marillion does with Misplaced Childhood and Brave.
I own the CD, 1985 original US Capitol LP issue and the 2017 Deluxe 4-LP box issue signed by all but Fish, if you ordered it from Fish's website he signed those.

Sure I play it often but it never bores or feels old or overplayed, when magic happens in the studio and then you hear it in the grooves how on earth can it get old??

It's easily a StarStarStarStarStar album for me.....Brilliance!!

Edited by Catcher10 - December 31 2020 at 10:30
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 20:22
I think it's a great album (though I still like Script better), and yes, Kayleigh is a great song, one of their best ones, actually, but for me it must go with Pseudo Silk Kimono as an intro, with both as a single song, otherwise it doesn't sound nearly as great.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 17:00
Wonderful album, indeed. Back in 1985 I found a cassette with a couple of songs (I think only the first three songs) of this album on it and it was what led me to Marillion. It was actually my older brother who first bought the Misplaced Childhood LP, then Fugazi, and then, when I had some money, I bought Script. The latter is still my favourite of them, but MC is a wonderful album too - maybe the neo-prog classic of all time because it reached far beyond the mere prog audience.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 01:43
The way the album goes through a transition from simple pop to complex prog with the themes getter even darker is very impressive. Prog was back with a bang!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 02:02
Now here's one I need to spin more often!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply