Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Who is the most underrated prog rock guitarist?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who is the most underrated prog rock guitarist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 02:29
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

Thing is it could really be Mike Rutherford. Hackett gets all the attention from prog fans but even when Hackett was in the band Mike played a lot of acoustic parts both live and on the albums that fleshed out the sound phenomenally. Plus after Hackett left he did a great job of creating a lead sound and style that reflected Hackett's influence but was better suited to the more commercial direction they'd go in, and wasn't a Hackett ripoff.

Obviously he's not underrated as a bass player and he's not exactly unknown, but he doesn't get talked about for his guitar contributions much.

Dude Rutherford rules, he's the unsung hero of Genesis lol. He gets overlooked. I agree completely on his lead guitar take over after Hackett's departure. Second Home by The Sea FTW!

Don't forget his bass work on the classic Genesis Gabriel era entries; he and Ray Shulman were trailing Squire's cape-tail that entire time!

The bass line to Get Em Out By Friday rivals most things Squire ever played and tops anything most other players played.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 02:49

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Thing is it could really be Mike Rutherford. Hackett gets all the attention from prog fans but even when Hackett was in the band Mike played a lot of acoustic parts both live and on the albums that fleshed out the sound phenomenally. Plus after Hackett left he did a great job of creating a lead sound and style that reflected Hackett's influence but was better suited to the more commercial direction they'd go in, and wasn't a Hackett ripoff.

Obviously he's not underrated as a bass player and he's not exactly unknown, but he doesn't get talked about for his guitar contributions much.

Dude Rutherford rules, he's the unsung hero of Genesis lol. He gets overlooked. I agree completely on his lead guitar take over after Hackett's departure. Second Home by The Sea FTW!

Don't forget his bass work on the classic Genesis Gabriel era entries; he and Ray Shulman were trailing Squire's cape-tail that entire time!

The bass line to Get Em Out By Friday rivals most things Squire ever played and tops anything most other players played.

For me it's the verses on Fountain of Salmacis; the bass is angelically perfect to my ears.

Squire's playing on TFTO is constantly overlooked as well, IMHO. He's grooving very deep on The Revealing Science of God.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 05:11
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Siegi Schwarb (Embyro guitarist on their best LP, Rocksession with Mal Waldron on the electric piano)

his name is actually "Siegfried Schwab", usually called "Sigi (sometimes also "Siggi"), which is short for "Siegfried", like "Tom" for "Thomas". he is one of the most prolific musicians ever, having played on over 15000 (yes, 15000) albums. he can play all styles - rock, jazz, folk, classical or baroque.

so if you want a guitar player for an album just call Siggi; he will probably go (I am inventing names of artists here): "you want me to play on an album of Maria Schulze? what kind of music is that? oh, folk. how about next Thursday? I have recordings with the jazz band Serendipity Calls at 9 am and the baroque ensemble Powdered Wigs at 6 pm on that day; I could squeeze you in at 2 pm"

Edited by BaldJean - January 16 2021 at 05:42

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 06:44
The first name I think of is Gary Green.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 01:46
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

The first name I think of is Gary Green.

He's the first "How the hell do people not know of this dude?" player that always comes to mind.

Stellar guitar player is an understatement. From what I understand the guy wasn't even interested in being professional, he was just drafted in and his chops became legendary.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cylli Kat (0fficial) View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cylli Kat (0fficial) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 10:48
I'm sure if I thought about it, I could come up with a list that would match many suggestions already offered.

But, right off of the top o' my head, I'd lean into what I'm listening to right now:
Victor Miranda-Martin aka KEOR.
Wow!!! In my opinion, this guy is fantastic!
His playing on the album "Petrichor" is utterly brilliant!
And, he seems to be relatively unknown.

Edited by Cylli Kat (0fficial) - May 27 2021 at 10:57
(Insert Clever Words Here)
I'm actually this guy: Cylli Kat
Artik View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Artik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 11:07
Ian Anderson for his acoustic guitar work - brilliant!
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2023 at 21:57
Nick Barrett (Pendragon)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2023 at 22:50
I. Crichton

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2024 at 02:39
I'd like to nominate Apostolis Anthimos from SBB.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2024 at 02:40
PinCrimson Generator View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PinCrimson Generator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2024 at 03:13
SBB, Apostolis Anthimos
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2024 at 10:49
As the man in platonic love with the band Gentle Giant, I can only say Gary Green. 
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2024 at 00:35
^ Good choice -
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456