Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Semiramis - Dedicato A Frazz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Semiramis - Dedicato A Frazz
    Posted: January 02 2021 at 06:16

Creepy AF album art, that's for sure LOL

HOWEVER - this is an amazing album to my ears. It has elements of all of the better known Italian prog giants, while also providing some novelty of it's own. Frenetic is a good word to describe this music. There are hooks everywhere and I find myself returning to this one over and over. I purchased an imported Italian CD version off eBay for context.

Thoughts?

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 09:00
I had it a long time ago. Great album. I need to get it again. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 09:15
One of my favorite RPI albums EVER. In my world beats many of the more popular acts like Le Orme. Give me unrestrained youthful passion over controlled so-called maturity any day not that that's a bad thing, just a personal preference. I think SEMIRAMIS' sole album is just too wild of a ride for many which is why it's not as revered but nevertheless is one of the greatest examples of maturity when it comes to compositional fortitude and creative mojo flowing like the river Amazon.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 00:22
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

One of my favorite RPI albums EVER. In my world beats many of the more popular acts like Le Orme. Give me unrestrained youthful passion over controlled so-called maturity any day not that that's a bad thing, just a personal preference. I think SEMIRAMIS' sole album is just too wild of a ride for many which is why it's not as revered but nevertheless is one of the greatest examples of maturity when it comes to compositional fortitude and creative mojo flowing like the river Amazon.

I know it's your favorite - I read your review on the main site before making this thread! Clap Smile

This is a sleeper gem IMHO. I think you're right about it being a wild ride and getting overlooked as a result. I will say these: a lot of these "one off" bands with albums somehow absolutely nail all of the qualities of progressive rock that I adore, in leaps and bounds. It's like an endless, juicy peach lol.

I'd love to chat in more detail about this album with people that also dig it! Do you own a vinyl copy, SP?

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I had it a long time ago. Great album. I need to get it again. 

I found a brand new sealed imported from Italy CD copy on eBay for about $23 USD, if that's any indicator! Worth every single penny; this is one of those albums I'd gladly pay $25+ to import if need be!

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - January 03 2021 at 00:24

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 07:06
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I know it's your favorite - I read your review on the main site before making this thread! Clap Smile

This is a sleeper gem IMHO. I think you're right about it being a wild ride and getting overlooked as a result. I will say these: a lot of these "one off" bands with albums somehow absolutely nail all of the qualities of progressive rock that I adore, in leaps and bounds. It's like an endless, juicy peach lol.

I'd love to chat in more detail about this album with people that also dig it! Do you own a vinyl copy, SP?

Nope. I have very few prog albums on vinyl and zero original issues. My massive collection is primarily CDs. I prefer remasters with bonus tracks and all that. I'm not a collector for the money but rather to have a copy for listening. CDs are far easier to rip onto my hard drive for iTunes. Agree with many of the one offs nailing it all in one shot.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 23:11
Dude, it's so f**king good LOL.

Another track that's stuck in my head, and honestly is one of the best overall progressive rock instrumental pieces I've ever heard, is the opening track from Locande Delle Fate's album. Over and over! It was stuck in my head after a single listen; those melodies are transcendental!

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 13:51
Ahhh, what a magical album this is!

I remember seeing the artwork long before listening to it and feeling intimidated by it. Frazz the Clown, in all his green glory.

I'm an amateur audiophile and have to say that the sound of this one unfortunately was never great and certainly didn't do justice to the great music. CD versions I have are the BTF and Belle Antique minis, and the BTF sound is better, similar to the sound of the Trident CD. I would love an original LP but can't bring myself to spend the hundreds or perhaps thousands of dollars it would take. And unfortunately this is one LP that wasn't reissued for the Japanese market in the 1980s, which is a great way to get a fantastic-sounding LP without the huge pricetag (see for example Osanna, Odissea, New Trolls, Locanda delle Fate, Quella Vecchia Locanda, Uovo di Colombo, etc--other casualties not reissued are Rocky's Filj, Procession, and Jumbo). But I did manage to find an unofficial Trident LP from 1988, which has great sound, so I'm a happy man! I also have the BTF LP just for the artwork--it was sourced from a CD, so it's not nearly as nice-sounding as the unofficial Trident LP.

Yeah, I'm a bit obsessive about my favorite titles and sub-genre!
"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

Post Reply Post Reply