Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd: The Wall.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd: The Wall.
    Posted: January 02 2021 at 11:22
I haven't listened to the entire album in years by skipping the trial section at the end, but it's still top shelf Floyd in my book. Your thoughts please.

Edited by SteveG - January 02 2021 at 11:49
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 11:30
I agree. It might not be full blown prog but it's a great album. I haven't listened to it in a while either. I remember a few years ago one of the radio stations in my area played the whole thing in it's entirety and the listeners went crazy (in a good way) almost as if they never heard the whole thing before. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 02 2021 at 11:31
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 11:38
It's in many ways more of a Roger Waters than a Pink Floyd project, but there is some astonishingly beautiful music on it. Not necessarily one of their most cohesive works though, but I wouldn't want to live without "Goodbye Blue Sky", "One of My Turms", "Nobody Home" or "Comfortably Numb".
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 11:42
I'm not really that big into it, a solid rock record for sure, but I just don't think it stands up as one of their best works. I don't think it's very cohesive for one, you can really pick out the songs where the full band had contributions compared to the ones clearly penned entirely by Waters, and I just think so many other records have explored the themes of the wall better than the wall does. Most the songs are good, maybe a couple duds, but idk, just not one of my favorites. I do really like side 3 though.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 11:52
It’s top three Floyd for me, along with Wish You Were Here and Animals (which come first and second in my personal Pink pantheon).

The opening sequence of tracks on Side One is amazing. And the whole thing is better live. Ever since In The Flesh was released, I’ve barely listened to the original album, preferring the live incarnation.

Seeing and hearing the album performed as a laser show at the Space Needle in Seattle was one of the highlights of my visit to the US many moons ago.

I can totally understand why a lot of people (and, for that matter, a lot of Floyd fans) don’t like it, and it does in many ways sound like it was a completely different band (a surrogate band?) playing it, compared to previous Floyd albums - but damn, it’s a good album. I love it. ❤️

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 11:58
For me it is one of those albums that have a special place. When it came out, as adolescent, I was just starting to develop more consciously some musical preferences and The Wall was one of the most impressive things I had heard. Soon after I saw the film, which gave me an even bigger impression. Now, with some 40 years of distance, I still like it very much, but also recognize some lack of cohesiveness (not that that bothers me that much); there are more than just a few fantastic gems on it, which makes it even now a great listen. Isn't that a characteristic of something that we might call a masterpiece?

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 12:10
Yeah, I think a lot of why I like it so much is because I came to it as I was coming of age, musically, and also at a time when I was feeling if not entirely nihilistic, very much alienated. When it was released, it passed me by. I was aware of it, but apart from ABitW, pt. 2, i wouldn’t have been able to tell you anything more about it. I think it’s lucky I didn’t cotton on to it back then, as I don’t think I’d have anywhere near the appreciation or love for it that I do now.

Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evolver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 12:10
Middling album for Floyd.
A handful of good songs.
Nick Mason sleeps through most of it.
Richard Wright famously barely there.
Better than The Final Cut.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 12:30
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

Middling album for Floyd.
A handful of good songs.
Nick Mason sleeps through most of it.
Richard Wright famously barely there.
Better than The Final Cut.

Couldn't have said it better
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 12:59
An absolute masterpiece in terms of ideas and their execution, musicality, expressivity, and pure emotion. Even if the listener is not absorbing the whole thing at once, he could enjoy just some individual songs. This is one of the very exceptional aspects about 'The Wall' - it works perfectly both as a continuous mammoth piece (and this is surely the way I like to listen to it) or as an album from which one can extract unbelievable songs which are at this point in time, unprecedented classics. And shall we mention the majestic movie that accompanied this achievement of rock music? With all this said, I must admit that I never understood the criticism towards 'The Wall', it is quite glorious and deserves all the praise it gets!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 14:57
As predicted, The Wall is another split decission album. It's a bit Waters for some with too little Wright. But C'est la vie. I like it for what it is, even though I think Waters extended his reach with this one.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 15:36
I adore it. While it's not one I often play now, it will always have a very special place in my heart. It is something of a sentimental fave. I was young, and my brother bought and played it for me soon after it was released (the artwork first caught my attention). Some complain of filler, but I would not be without one track off the album. I really appreciate it from beginning to end.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 15:40
It has some really good songs but a lot of mediocre stuff also....I could never sit through all of it at one time...
and mostly played the Numb side.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 15:41
I’ve never understood the filler argument, either. There’s nothing I’d lose.
Same for Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. There’s not a single track I would wish to lose.
It’s also always the second disc that people complain of filler, I’ve noticed, on any double album. To me, this is more indicative of listener fatigue, than any real presence of filler. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 00:29
The Wall has always felt like Roger Waters and company, rather than a raw PF record.

Still solid music but not a go-to for me.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 01:37
Massively important album for me as I left my teens and entered adulthood. Didn't listen to anything else around 1980-81 at all. Then became a bit bored of it . The biggest problem fore me is the flat production although admittedly this is a feature of most Floyd albums.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 08:01
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Massively important album for me as I left my teens and entered adulthood. Didn't listen to anything else around 1980-81 at all. Then became a bit bored of it . The biggest problem fore me is the flat production although admittedly this is a feature of most Floyd albums.
Flat production? It's perfect for what it was intended for. Producer Bob Ezrin had to move between sounding like a live band recording and studio work without sonically clashing and did a great job, imho.

Edited by SteveG - January 03 2021 at 08:02
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 08:20
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Flat production? It's perfect for what it was intended for. Producer Bob Ezrin had to move between sounding like a live band recording and studio work without sonically clashing and did a great job, imho.

Yes, "flat production that is a feature most Floyd albums". Because Dark Side of the Moon is a gold standard and most emulated and revered album for flat production. LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Anyway, I think The Wall works best when David Gilmour is fully engaged, hence songs like "The Thin Ice", "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2", "Mother", "Goodbye Blue Sky", "Young Lust, "Hey You", "Comfortably Numb" and "Run Like Hell", all of which Gilmour has writing credits, and basically the best and most memorable parts of the album.

Edited by The Dark Elf - January 03 2021 at 10:40
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 10:27
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

An absolute masterpiece in terms of ideas and their execution, musicality, expressivity, and pure emotion. Even if the listener is not absorbing the whole thing at once, he could enjoy just some individual songs. This is one of the very exceptional aspects about 'The Wall' - it works perfectly both as a continuous mammoth piece (and this is surely the way I like to listen to it) or as an album from which one can extract unbelievable songs which are at this point in time, unprecedented classics. And shall we mention the majestic movie that accompanied this achievement of rock music? With all this said, I must admit that I never understood the criticism towards 'The Wall', it is quite glorious and deserves all the praise it gets!

My hero!!! Clap

The Wall today still hits me like it did in '79, I remember coming home from HS for weeks after it came out and doing one thing before anything, spinning The Wall (all 4 sides). It really is like a movie with ups and downs but as a complete movie its easily Best Picture caliber.

When I want to spin it I make sure I am ready to hear all 4 sides.....very rare I will only listen to 1-2 sides.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 10:36
Ohh no, no flat production at all! It was mastered at The Mastering Lab and my original version sounds amazing. The 2012 remaster that was cut by Doug Sax and James Guthrie is brilliant, this version opens up the sound a bit more and the soundstage is awesome! Certain parts of the original mix have a muddy mix and this is all fixed. Also cut at The Mastering Lab.

Both versions feature Waters bass guitar out front giving the sound a huge presence.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>