Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd: The Wall.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 10:37
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

The Wall isn't my favourite Pink Floyd album, but it is my favourite Roger Waters album. Smile

are you sure what you wrote there makes any sense? LOL

I’m presuming he’s meaning the Roger Water album of The Wall live in Berlin? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Exactly! I meant Roger Waters' The Wall: Live in Berlin album, so what I said makes perfect sense, which makes a nice change. Smile

awful live album, I agree with the overall rating it's got here on PA. 
It appears Roger Waters' Live in Berlin album has come up against The Wall of indifference from you. Tongue 

Not surprisingly, I disagree. It's a brilliant Live album with a well-deserved 5-star rating from me. Thumbs Up

2.25 rating here on PA, so yeah, I agree. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 10:39
Originally posted by triptych triptych wrote:

Cristi vs Triptych is looking like it could be the new Cristi vs Paul.

God no... 
Have I got the reputation of the one that argues all the time? LOL
I guess the nonsense some users go into here bothers me more than others. LOL
Really? The one that has the reputation of the one that argues all the time? I hadn't noticed. LOL
as long as you spew nonsense, I am gonna argue and disagree. Evil Smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 10:53

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

He's probably allergic to vinyl.

I'm not, but you might well be !!
Yeah, I gave up on vinyl ages ago. The vinyl craze is just a hoax, but don't tell that to my friend Catcher10. LOL  Seriously, you are one of few that I've ever seen disparage The Wall with such disdain!. It's actually kind of refreshing!

The Wall as a whole is of little worth musically speaking, esp if we compare it to other more SERIOUS Floyd albums. Most people have played the record sales card when arguing about The Wall ! Frankly, I don't care if an album has sold millions of copies around the world....it just means that there are people who like to throw their hard-earned money out the window and not that there are people who really like and appreciate REAL music. But that's all fine with me. All I can say to round up this post is that Syd wouldn't have liked The Wall one single bit :)
is not the paranoia of The Wall's main character "Pink" a bit SERIOUS? And the album's social commentary? And songs like Good Bye Blue Sky, Mother, and Hey You not serious, either musically or lyrically?

Edited by SteveG - January 22 2021 at 04:12
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 22:23

The Wall isn't my favourite Pink Floyd album, but it is my favourite Roger Waters album. Smile

are you sure what you wrote there makes any sense? LOL

I’m presuming he’s meaning the Roger Water album of The Wall live in Berlin? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Exactly! I meant Roger Waters' The Wall: Live in Berlin album, so what I said makes perfect sense, which makes a nice change. Smile

awful live album, I agree with the overall rating it's got here on PA. 

It appears Roger Waters' Live in Berlin album has come up against The Wall of indifference from you. Tongue 

Not surprisingly, I disagree. It's a brilliant Live album with a well-deserved 5-star rating from me. Thumbs Up

2.25 rating here on PA, so yeah, I agree. 

As a whole, I guess a prefer the original album, or the newer album. The Berlin one has some really amazing parts, but some others that don't really work so well, mostly because of the use of so many guests. Still, things like What Shall we do Now, Another Brick in the Wall 3, In the Flesh sound really amazing. And the trial thing with the guests doing each characters parts sounds great... too bad the heavy guitars at the end were ruined in this version. I read once that Waters wanted Clapton as a guest too, but he declined... I don't know what he wanted him to play, but it would have been wonderful to have him play guitars and sing Gilmour's parts on Comfortably Numb.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 13:57
If it was a choice of being flayed alive or listening to The Wall, I would have to think about it.

The only track on the album I like is the wonderful Comfortably Numb.

The rest is utter bilge, especially the cringeworthy Another Brick in the Wall part 2 (despite Gilmour's attempt to rescue it with a lovely guitar solo).
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 07:12
I feel it was the American tour of Animals that did what Punk was supposed to have done. In killing off Pink Floyd. The crowds got louder. This supposedly fragile music seemed unable to withstand people shouting or letting off fireworks.
The Who album "Who's Next" was taken from the better tracks of that infernal Lifehouse project.
Imagine if Pink Floyd were told to scrap The Wall and put an album of the best bits instead?
Would make a good EP!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 08:07
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

I feel it was the American tour of Animals that did what Punk was supposed to have done. In killing off Pink Floyd. The crowds got louder. This supposedly fragile music seemed unable to withstand people shouting or letting off fireworks.

I've seen Floyd three times. The first was the In The Flesh Tour 1977 at Cleveland Municipal Stadium. It's still one of the greatest concerts I've ever seen (and I've seen hundreds). I think anyone who was there would agree. So, I have no idea what you are talking about.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
IndigoStar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndigoStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 08:53
It's the first Pink Floyd album I ever listened to and I still love it. 

I share the thoughts about Nick Mason being asleep through it though, but I think he's asleep for all their work.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 09:15
Originally posted by IndigoStar IndigoStar wrote:

It's the first Pink Floyd album I ever listened to and I still love it. 

I share the thoughts about Nick Mason being asleep through it though, but I think he's asleep for all their work.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 09:46
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I've seen Floyd three times. The first was the In The Flesh Tour 1977 at Cleveland Municipal Stadium. It's still one of the greatest concerts I've ever seen (and I've seen hundreds). I think anyone who was there would agree. So, I have no idea what you are talking about.

https://youtu.be/i05XNORlFM4
^
Try that. Rick left the band for a bit midtour and had to be begged back. Roger was really pissed off with the audience shouting and off fireworks.
I'm glad you enjoyed the show you saw. But for the band, it seemed nothing but the death knell of how their previous shows were.
That's what I'm talking about.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 20:38

https://youtu.be/i05XNORlFM4
^
Try that. Rick left the band for a bit midtour and had to be begged back. Roger was really pissed off with the audience shouting and off fireworks.
I'm glad you enjoyed the show you saw. But for the band, it seemed nothing but the death knell of how their previous shows were.
That's what I'm talking about.

Thanks, that was an interesting watch.  But what I get from that is not that the album Animals itself precipitated the issues, but that they had become too big of a band for the kind of music they made. They took their music very seriously but neither the promoters nor the fans seemed to and that made them disillusioned.  Beatles retreated permanently to the studio when it became impossible to play live.  But for Floyd, that was understandably not an option.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 20:33
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I'm jealous, I would really love to have been able to see a show from that tour... but of course, there was the small problem that I wasn't born yet. I didn't get into Pink Floyd in time to know that I wanted to see them before they stopped touring (though I have seen Roger Waters a few times, and still wish Gilmour had come around here in order to get to see a show from him).
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 12:48
I saw Floyd at MSG in NY for DSotM and WYWH. Missed them for Animals and the Wall, but the two I saw should hold me over.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345