1 [2.50%]
12 [30.00%]
3 [7.50%]
18 [45.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6 electronic albums from 1976
    Posted: January 03 2021 at 07:53
take your pick from these 6 electronic albums from 1976:

Edited by BaldJean - January 03 2021 at 07:57

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 07:58
I couldn't remember listening to Baumann's album even if I had done (also not very sure about Froese's); but the rest are all great for me. I'll go with the first option.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 09:15
Moondawn. Love me some Klaus. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 10:05
I consider the 2nd side of "Romance '76" (which I think of as being 1 track) to be one of the greatest examples of electronic music ever, and side 1 has its moments too; it even sounds jazzy in one track. so my vote goes there

Edited by BaldJean - January 03 2021 at 10:07

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 10:21
Not a big 'electronic' guy but the 'stratosfearic' musings by TD  always appealed to me.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 10:26
Have no fear, I'm voting for Stratosfear - my favourite Tangerine Dream album - although I really like Ashra's New Age of Earth too. Thumbs Up
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 10:59
For me it's between Froese and TD because of the mellotron on both, as in lots. Voted "Macula Transfer".
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 11:07
Not familiar with Peter Baumann.
Of the choices supplied I'll say Tangerine Dream. (although it's not my favourite)

I also prefer Klaus Schulze's Miditerranean Pads, even though it gets low ratings here. I always feel like I'm in an Egyptian market in the early 20th century when listening to it.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 11:16
Honourable mention

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 11:19
And then there's the classics...

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 11:26
Today I picked Oxygène just over Stratosfear. Tomorrow it may be the other way around. Mindphaser (side 2 of Moondawn) is also a strong contender.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 11:26
Hi,

I PROTEST!

At least 2 or 3 of those albums are in my life's top ten, if I had one ... I love them all dearly, and not just one more than the other!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 13:07
Well, Jean, you've done it. You've created the Impossible Poll. It has one of my favorite Tangerine Dream albums, along with the spectacular Romance '76 and Macula Transfer.

I guess I should vote for Stratosfear, since it is simply one of the Greatest Albums Ever. It's not really EM, it's a hybrid album with its multiple Mellotrons and organ, harpsichord, piano and Edgar's bass and 6- & 12-string guitars. And I love it to pieces!

I would never vote for Jarre over any of the others. His stuff's nice but it's aged nowhere near as well for me.

If you switched out Oxygene for Synergy's Sequencer, then I'd really be backed into the corner! LOL
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 13:15
Though I love all these albums, Tangerine Dream gets my vote.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 15:16
Very hard - I like all of these but wouldn't put any one at the very top of an electronic ranking... In my view TD have more than half a dozen better albums and Froese at least three. Oxygene is fine and probably Jarre's best (apart from the China live album), but then I hardly listen to Jarre anymore these days. At some point as a teenager I was quite addicted to Moondawn, but Schulze is another one I liked more back then than now, and now I prefer some earlier work. I only heard Romance 76 once and wasn't very impressed, maybe I should give it another shot, and the Ashra album is nice to hear but too ambient to really rock my boat. All this music was bigger for me when I got into electronic music in the early eighties. Ultimately I'd say Stratosfear has passed the test of time best, it got by far the most listens out of these in the last ten years.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 15:47
I feel a bit like Paul for mentioning another album that’s not even part of the poll, but damnit if Plantasia isn’t my favourite progressive electronic album from 1976! 🤪

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 16:05
I'll pretend just for a second I'm some guy on youtube and say "they don't make music like that anymore." :P
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 17:43
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Very hard - I like all of these but wouldn't put any one at the very top of an electronic ranking... In my view TD have more than half a dozen better albums and Froese at least three. Oxygene is fine and probably Jarre's best (apart from the China live album), but then I hardly listen to Jarre anymore these days. At some point as a teenager I was quite addicted to Moondawn, but Schulze is another one I liked more back then than now, and now I prefer some earlier work. I only heard Romance 76 once and wasn't very impressed, maybe I should give it another shot, and the Ashra album is nice to hear but too ambient to really rock my boat. All this music was bigger for me when I got into electronic music in the early eighties. Ultimately I'd say Stratosfear has passed the test of time best, it got by far the most listens out of these in the last ten years.

I think Stratosfear is one of TD's best albums, but IMO their best "era" is basically everything they recorded for Virgin and Relativity, plus Quichotte/Pergamon, and the soundtracks for MCA and Varése Sarabande. Another of their best albums is their lone soundtrack for Private Music, Miracle Mile, which was a "duo" TD recording by Edgar and Paul Haslinger

I like Stuntman (Froese's best solo, IMHO), PinnaclesAges and Epsilon in Malaysian Pale more than Macula Transfer, but the poll concerns albums recorded in 1976.

Edited by verslibre - January 03 2021 at 17:55
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 17:45
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Very hard - I like all of these but wouldn't put any one at the very top of an electronic ranking... In my view TD have more than half a dozen better albums and Froese at least three. Oxygene is fine and probably Jarre's best (apart from the China live album), but then I hardly listen to Jarre anymore these days. At some point as a teenager I was quite addicted to Moondawn, but Schulze is another one I liked more back then than now, and now I prefer some earlier work. I only heard Romance 76 once and wasn't very impressed, maybe I should give it another shot, and the Ashra album is nice to hear but too ambient to really rock my boat. All this music was bigger for me when I got into electronic music in the early eighties. Ultimately I'd say Stratosfear has passed the test of time best, it got by far the most listens out of these in the last ten years.

I think Stratosfear is one of TD's best albums, but IMO their best "era" is basically everything they recorded for Virgin and Relativity, plus Quichotte/Pergamon, and the soundtracks for MCA and Varése Sarabande.

I like Stuntman (Froese's best solo, IMHO), Pinnacles, Ages and Epsilon in Malaysian Pale more than Macula Transfer, but the poll concerns albums recorded in 1976.

Yes, I'm not complaining - Jean can do the poll as she wants. I was just discussing the choices.
Let's see, of TD I'd rate Atem - Zeit - Phaedra - Rubycon - Cyclone - Tangram - Exit and the Logos live album higher than Stratosfear, and some more about equal (OK there's not much between Stratosfear and a number of the listed ones either, all great music) - of Edgar Froese Epsilon is just outworldly, stunning album, on a par with Zeit and Rubycon, and then Stuntman and Ages. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 18:03

Let's see, of TD I'd rate Atem - Zeit - Phaedra - Rubycon - Cyclone - Tangram - Exit and the Logos live album higher than Stratosfear, and some more about equal (OK there's not much between Stratosfear and a number of the listed ones either, all great music) - of Edgar Froese Epsilon is just outworldly, stunning album, on a par with Zeit and Rubycon, and then Stuntman and Ages.

Without getting into live albums and film scoresRubyconStratosfearForce MajeureExit and Underwater Sunlight are my favorite TD albums (not necessarily in that order, I went with chrono). 

I love anything and everything recorded by the '80-85 lineup, which IMO is unbeatable when it comes to a purely electronic sound.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>