Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Large Bands To Check Out List (106 Bands)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sllepty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Large Bands To Check Out List (106 Bands)
    Posted: January 03 2021 at 22:15
--Not Obscure--
Anekdoten
Aphrodite's Child
Ashra
Barclay James Harvest
Beardfish
Big Big Train
Caligulas House
Demons and Wizards
Dream Theater (DONEkinda)
Gazpacho
Genesis
Goblin
Gong
Haken
Hawkwind
Jethro Tull(DONEkinda)
Le Orme
Leprous
Mike Oddfeild
Miles Davis
Nektar
Opeth
Rare Bird
Renaissance
Rishloo
Snarky Puppy
Soft Machine
Thank You Scientest
The Nice
The Ocean

--Obscure--
Acqua Fragile
Alphataurus
Arabs In Aspic
Arti & Mestieri
Beggars Opera
Bent Knee
Black Widow
Brainticket
Carptree
Dzyan
Egg
England
FM
Fireballet(DONE)
Flower Kings
Fruupp
Gravy Train(DONE)
Greenslade
Guru Guru
Happy the Man
Hatfield and the North
High Tide
Hoelderlin
Isildurs Bane
Kaipa
Karfagen
Kayo Dot
Kin Ping Meh
Kraan
Magma
Maxophone
Moon Safari
Moongarden
Mystery
Paladin(DONE)
Pallas
Rocket Scientists
Rosenbach
Semiramis
Soup
Steve Hillage
Rfus Zuphall
The Tangent
The Windmil
Toby Driver
Unitopia
Univers Zero
Wallenstein
Xhol Caravan
Песняры

--Super Obscure--
Amenophis
Beggars Opera
Blocco Mentale
Cherry Five
Cirrus Bay
Clearlight
Cressida
Days Between Stations
Easter Island
Finch
Flamborough Head
Frumpy
German Oak
Gnidrolog
Hostsonaten
Il Bacio della Medusa
Latte E Miele
Marsupilami
Murple
Nuiva Idea
Nuova Era
Officina Meccanina
Present
Progression By Failure (DONE)
Reale Accademia di Musica
The Enid

I have the parameters for super obscure, obscure, and not obscure set on highest Spotify plays (because this is where I find most of these):

Super Obscure: 10,000 plays or less
Obscure: 10,000 - 500,000 plays
Not Obscure: 500,000 plays or more

The reason I'm doing this off of Spotify plays is because determining if something is obscure or not is a lot harder when you don't have set parameters. If you disagree with how I have them set up feel free to say but I'm not going through that list.

Obviously there are some popular ones like Jethro Tull and Genesis which I have yet to check out because I have only been listening to prog for about 5 months.

Feel free to use this list if your bored and don't know what to listen to. I add on to this list all the time so I might make an update post in the feature 

Check out Progression By Failure and Paladin, some of my favorite bands I've got on here that I have checked out.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 10:20
Thanks for sharing your playlist!!
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 12:12
Big list i would like to add glass hammer and a big thank you for including FM and BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 12:39
Three things:

1) Beggar's Opera is listed twice
2) Awesome that you listed Snarky Puppy, there is so much there for prog fans to enjoy
3) I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 14:02
I don't think all of those are in the right categories as far as their obscureness goes(for example the Enid are definitely not super obscure and the Flower Kings are at least as well known as some in the first list if not more so). Good list though. Also, this should be in the top tens and lists section but only a moderator can move it now.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 04 2021 at 15:02
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 14:04
[I have the parameters for super obscure, obscure, and not obscure set on highest Spotify plays (because this is where I find most of these):

Super Obscure: 10,000 plays or less
Obscure: 10,000 - 500,000 plays
Not Obscure: 500,000 plays or more ]

Ok, I didn't see that at first. Now I see how you are judging them. 

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 14:20
I was surprised to discover I've actually heard of ten of the artists in your Super Obscure list, including The Enid, who are not really obscure at all. Smile
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 14:23
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I was surprised to discover I've actually heard of ten of the artists in your Super Obscure list, including The Enid, who are not really obscure at all. Smile

I thought the same. There’s some definite non-obscurities there - of which The Enid stands out the most.

However, once it was explained that it wasn’t his idea of what was obscurity, rather than number of plays on Spotify, it made more sense. Obscure is probably the wrong choice of adjective, rather than anything else.

But for someone new to prog, I guess it is all pretty obscure? I can’t remember that far back.... 🤪

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 14:28
There are 11k+ bands listed here on PA.  The longer you visit PA, the larger that number will grow.  It will multiply like a superspreading virus.  
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 14:46
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I thought the same. There’s some definite non-obscurities there - of which The Enid stands out the most.

However, once it was explained that it wasn’t his idea of what was obscurity, rather than number of plays on Spotify, it made more sense. Obscure is probably the wrong choice of adjective, rather than anything else.

But for someone new to prog, I guess it is all pretty obscure? I can’t remember that far back.... 🤪

The Enid were a band I'd heard of back in the 1980's, but it wasn't until I first went online in 2010 that I actually heard them for the first time. I've been a fan of The Enid ever since, having now listened to every  album, with The Seed & the Sower being my favourite. Thumbs Up 
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2021 at 14:31
I love lists!!! I don't even care what they're about!!!

(Is this a Prog thing?)
The Prog Corner
 Post Reply Post Reply