Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gentle Cardiacs have a Giant Gong Here and Now

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Choose any one that you like.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [21.74%]
4 [17.39%]
1 [4.35%]
13 [56.52%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gentle Cardiacs have a Giant Gong Here and Now
    Posted: January 06 2021 at 07:58
Nice. Put one that I don't know between three already good ones, that's how you get me to listen to it. Except that the Here and Now one doesn't quite convince me, although it's OK.

Regarding the vote, absolutely Cardiacs.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 07:53
By the way, any thoughts on what might have worked better together as I’m not sure that I associated the best examples of all four?

Edited by Logan - January 06 2021 at 07:59
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 15:57
Thanks for all responses and sorry for not responding to all right now, but I don't want to risk overloading this post with quotes. My posts end up getting longer than most at the best of times which has caused some consternation, frustration and complaints from some.

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

I'm gonna give Here & Now my vote as they're the under-dog here and 'Give & Take' is a great lp, a real invigorator for the moribund UK countercultureThumbs Up

Here and Now is the album here that I have heard the least, but really want to listen a lot more now. It's wonderful, I think. I really enjoy that album, and that was the impetus for the poll that got me associating. Well, actually I was looking up bands that sound like Cardiacs on Google (I had planned to do "Big Ship" by Cardiacs since I mentioned that in another topic) and one of the results was a topic at PA that I'd seen before where David (Guldbamsen) mentioned this track particularly. My first thought was that it reminded me most of Gong (but of course Gong has similar qualities to Cardiacs, as well as Gentle Giant), and "Master Builder" came to mind. I might have thought of better parallels, but I so love "Master Builder", and this Cardiacs song (a favourite of mine) sprung immediately to mind as well. The epicness and glorious way to my ear that this Cardiacs song finishes reminds me of "Three Friends" (the track). I included both of the two final Three Friends albums tracks as the two are always linked for me (one moves into another).

All four of these bands can be related with each other musically quite easily, although might well make different associations, and I might on a different day.

Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

Oh you just had to include two of my favourite bands (GG and Cardiacs) didn't you?
In this case, it has to go to Cardiacs. That ending...floors me evertime.

I so love this Cardiacs track, and both the ending of "Three Friends" and "The Everso Closely Guarded Line" have moved me in a very similar way. Some say that Cardiacs is not progressive, but to me such music is inherently progressive. Like with GG, Cardiacs could present an awful lot and make interesting tonal shifts and make twists in a short time. Sometimes both might seem a little disjointed and frenetic at times... and maybe a little zenetic, by way of segue...

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Maybe if these bands were busy Working All Day, they'd be as good as Gentle Giant Wink.

One might say "Maybe if these bands were all at the Gong level of being "Master Builders", then they'd be as good as Gong" as well.

But instead of saying good, instead I'd say it's much more subjective and "What you See is What You Are" as it reflects more on the individual psyche than objective reality. Some will always vote for the song by the band that is in-line with their own "Everso Closely Guarded Line" (people can be quite defensive in matters of taste), and may rarely step out of their comfort zones to give the new or lesser-known to them an equal opportunity. I tend to favour newer discoveries (particularly in polls where I had not known all the choices very well). I'm not taking this that seriously, but I wanted to riff a bit on your song word play.

That said, this being my poll, and all loved by me, I won't vote (I rarely vote in my own polls that mention favourites of mine, that's would be rather like choosing between my children (not that I couldn't do that, but it would seem unfair somehow). Normally I do such things as multiple votes. Suffice to say, all four of these have a certain similar energy about them to me.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 14:38
GG
Theprogelitist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Theprogelitist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 04:09
Master Builder but the GG track is nice
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 00:43
master builder 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 23:33
Maybe if these bands were busy Working All Day, they'd be as good as Gentle Giant Wink.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 19:15
Oh you just had to include two of my favourite bands (GG and Cardiacs) didn't you?
In this case, it has to go to Cardiacs. That ending...floors me evertime.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 15:04
I'm gonna give Here & Now my vote as theyre the under-dog here and 'Give & Take' is a great lp, a real invigorator for the moribund UK countercultureThumbs Up

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 13:32
Gentle Giant.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 13:18
GG for me.... also love that tune from Gong
Prog On!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2021 at 12:17
Cardiacs - "The Everso Closely Guarded Line"

Gong - "Master Builder"

Here And Now - "What You See Is What You Are"

Gentle Giant - "Mister Class and Quality? / Three Friends"

Post Reply Post Reply