Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Raider II (Steven Wilson) is Cirkus (King Crimson)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Raider II (Steven Wilson) is Cirkus (King Crimson)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raider II (Steven Wilson) is Cirkus (King Crimson)
    Posted: January 05 2021 at 09:38
I'd noticed that almost immediately back in 2011: the verses' vocal melodies, the heavy wordless chorus with woodwinds, the overall dark yet sentimental tone... "Raider II" is basically "Cirkus" but stretched to 20 mins in length (for no real reason, I'd say). I guess people liked it enough for SW to be like "okay, the whole next album's gonna be A Classic Prog Cover Party then"

Whatcha think? Can you hear the similarities?

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 11:14
Yeah, I’ve thought that since I first heard Raider II. But it’s hardly a new thing with Wilson. He has definitely liberated themes from classic tracks before and used them within his own compositions, not just within his solo work, but with Porcupine Tree as well. Some are more overt than others, but I don’t think he’s seeking to hide them, nor pass them off as his own, so much as celebrate his influences. 🤷🏻‍♂️

A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 11:35
Well, he was remastering 'Lizard' and some other albums from the KC back catalogue at that time, so it's no surprise that all this is reflected upon his own compositions. I am personally really happy that these events coincided for Wilson because GFD is one of my favorite works of his, especially that unbelievable track you have mentioned.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 11:39
^ Indeed. I love that album, and that track, and a lot of that love is due to the way his remastering of KC seeped into own music. I definitely have nothing negative to say about the resemblance of Raider II (which had my vote in the recent SW epics poll) with Cirkus! 🥰

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 13:14
Other than they are both elcectic prog of a sort, I don't hear the similarity all that much.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2021 at 23:19
Nothing this dude's ever done has impressed me TBH. I don't get why the prog scene thinks he's genius. I also don't get why more people don't like VDGG, so that shows you what space-time I occupy LOL Cool.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 02:35
Apart from the verse/chorus dramatics the two tracks don't sound at all similar to my ears. In fact I'm not even entirely convinced they were both recorded by mammals.

Edited by ExittheLemming - January 06 2021 at 02:42
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 06:45
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Other than they are both elcectic prog of a sort, I don't hear the similarity all that much.
Try listening to music instead of genre tags

Seriously tho, I doubt either KC or SW were like OOH IM TOTALLY GONNA WRITE AN ECLECTIC PROG RN
 Post Reply Post Reply