Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

King Crimson - Radical Action... Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Queretine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson - Radical Action... Discussion
    Posted: January 06 2021 at 04:08
Radical Action to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind is one of my favourite live albums ever, I want to hear your thoughts!
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2021 at 03:47
This is their 2017 album if I'm not wrong....Radical Action is rather heavy and I dig that a lot. Level Five brings out more prog than rock which is fine. Love the drum intro to The Hell Hounds of Krim. The ConstruKtion of Light is very well 'orchestrated' and arramged in the live version. Peace is sublime live. 
Finally, overall a good live performance with specific arrangements; I don't have a fav piece here and the artwork is just gorgeous.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2021 at 10:44
Love it! Also because I saw them on that tour (in Marseille). It was a tremendously great gig and this CD/Blu-ray set captures it very well. No weak moments, imo. Yes some of the stuff is quite heavy (which they put on the "mainly metal" CD) but there are many "easier" pieces.
I like how they split up their live renditions in three CDs: Mainly Metal, Easy Money Shots and Crimson Classics, but the video of the whole concert is wonderful too. And... Great sound!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2021 at 11:05
hI,

I like the Bill Bruford era more ... it has more innovative material. The later versions are a chance for people to reacquaint themselves with the band, and while it is magnificent (what a concert I saw in Seattle!), in the end, I still go back to the Bill Bruford era almost all the time. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2021 at 12:32
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

hI,

I like the Bill Bruford era more ... it has more innovative material. The later versions are a chance for people to reacquaint themselves with the band, and while it is magnificent (what a concert I saw in Seattle!), in the end, I still go back to the Bill Bruford era almost all the time. 

Well, there wasn’t really a Bruford “era”, as such. Bruford’s time with Crimson spanned three different eras, namely the “classic” 70’s trilogy of albums with Wetton, the Discipline trilogy of albums, and lastly industrial period.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2021 at 12:33
As for the album, sheer gold, although I actually think that Meltdown (Live in Mexico) trumps this as a live chronicle of this lineup. It is simply awesome.

Note...must review it sometime....
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 03:58
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

As for the album, sheer gold, although I actually think that Meltdown (Live in Mexico) trumps this as a live chronicle of this lineup. It is simply awesome.

Clap
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 08:42
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Clap

Hi,

My thoughts are that KC hardly needs another review ... there are so many of them, that it makes it really impossible to get a good idea of the group unless you already think that they are great regardless of line up ... 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 09:29
One can never have enough KC reviews. Big smile
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 19:40
Absolutely one of my fav albums ever. Love the set list. I like several of the tracks better than the original. That being said, Chicago, Meltdown all have something going for them. Chicago is probably the most adventurous with several tracks right on the edge off falling of the rails but KC somehow pulls it off. On the downside it has way less tracks.   Meltdown has a slightly different track listing from Radical and the sound is more like a live concert. Radical doesn't have any crowd noise so your mileage may vary.

Edited by tdfloyd - January 31 2021 at 19:45
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 02:35
of the recent Crimson live albums, I own, and if mempory serves, they are the last four widely available (as in B&M stores) releases.
- Orpheum: single disc but holds some of the definitive recent live version of some tracks >> Starless is the prime example
- Toronto: double disc affait, but aFAIAC, not one of the better performance
- Radical Action: saw the tour in Antwerp, but I've only played the DVD. Will probably never play the audio discs, though I suspect that they don't hold the same stuff than the DVD/BR has. Neat DVD/BR performance, a tad better than the Antwerp show I saw (cramped seating)
- Chicago: a torrid double disc affair, but will probably be my last crimson live album bought.

Of course, there are many double use in those for those four releases, but the only one I kind of regret is Toronto.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 03:18
Originally posted by Queretine Queretine wrote:

Radical Action to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind is one of my favourite live albums ever, I want to hear your thoughts!
Well, it's one of my favorite live albums as well, and of the strongest Crimson releases!
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 07:03
Love it. I sit slack jawed and amazed.  
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2021 at 23:45
Well I'm slightly freaked out by the cover and the lack of audience noise is a bit weird (although it's better than the ARW dubbed on crowd noise) but it's a great album.
dodona View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 10:33

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Well, there wasn’t really a Bruford “era”, as such. Bruford’s time with Crimson spanned three different eras, namely the “classic” 70’s trilogy of albums with Wetton, the Discipline trilogy of albums, and lastly industrial period.
OK then there were three different eras. That's exactly what he means. 

Edited by dodona - April 19 2021 at 10:34
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 02:26
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

One can never have enough KC reviews. Big smile

This is my previously unpublished review of King Crimson's concert in Chicago, April 20, 1973.

The venue was the late/great Kinetic Playground in Chicago.  This place was a fire-trap and disaster waiting to happen, but they hosted some amazing bands at the peaks of their careers!!  It was loud, dingy, with no seating (just floor), and amazingly rowdy. 

Opening for King Crimson, interestingly enough, was Peter Frampton!  Two of the most famous 3-pickup Les Paul "Black Beauty" guitars in rock history on the same stage!  Peter was touring furiously in that era, with his "Frampton's Camel" lineup, and I often saw him open for many bands.  He gave a sparkling performance, but the crowd was increasingly drunk and stoned, and so his performance was relatively short with one encore. 

When the Crimson King took the stage, the audience went, well, wild!!  Fripp, in all black, sat off to the right, constantly gazing out into the crowd.  The band was amazing - there was no Muir on this tour, but Wetton, Bruford and Cross were all young & strong!  I remember both Fripp and Cross playing dueling white Mellotrons, and although the set list remains fuzzy, they did the LP "Larks Tongues" and crowd favorites like "Schizoid Man."  I remember quite a bit of jamming also. 

The real problem was that people in front of the stage were all standing throughout the show, and people in back had their sight lines obscured.  This led to a furious back & forth between the groups, with the ones in back screaming "SIT DOWN!"  Some even threw empty wine bottles and other missiles at the offenders.  Mr. Fripp looked very disturbed at this growing negative energy, and frowned in disapproval.  It was rowdy and dangerous, as many shows in Chicago were back in the day. 

This is a setlist someone posted, I wasn't very familiar with their material at this time (I was 18), but this seems about right. 

Many years later, I emailed Bob Fripp about the show, and told him how much I appreciated his strict rules for silence in the most recent tours = no photos, no audience sound, no recording etc.  He seemed to appreciate the contrast from then to now.  (his sister, Patricia, was kind enough to provide me with his top-secret personal email address).

Peace and good health.  Regards, Charles 

Edited by cstack3 - April 20 2021 at 02:29
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2021 at 11:16
It's absolutly my favorite live album by king Crimson. Perfect setlist and some of the songs here are better then the original. But whats the most great thing about this album, is the three drummers. its add so much to the overall album. And Gevin Harisson is a genius 

Also we got two new KC songs! 
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2021 at 08:19
Been listening to several of the more recent KC live CDs and all of them, including Radical Action, have much to recommend, though my fave of the run is the Orpheum.....but why only one disc's worth of music?!?!  There was so much energy and so many excellent performances on that tour.

Radical Action is a nice souvenier of the gigs - saw the first two shows on the US fall tour and then two more at the Beacon in NYC.  

Really looking forward to the 2021 tour - got 8th row center for the Ft Worth and Austin shows at the end of the month.  Any PA KC heads gonna be there?
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2021 at 08:47
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Really looking forward to the 2021 tour - got 8th row center for the Ft Worth and Austin shows at the end of the month.  Any PA KC heads gonna be there?

There is gonna be 2021 tour?? I have to go there. I have never been in a king crimson show.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2021 at 13:11
If you could only have one copy,  which would you choose?  
"The Power to Believe" or the live album- "Level Five"

Level Five contains some of the material on The Power To Believe. 

PS. Radical Action to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind is my favorite KC live album and DVD
 Post Reply Post Reply