Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Let's Learn & Share Our English Language Levels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Let's Learn & Share Our English Language Levels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What is your English level?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [16.67%]
2 [33.33%]
2 [33.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let's Learn & Share Our English Language Levels
    Posted: February 13 2021 at 08:05
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

try learning German. the articles and pronouns alone will drive you mad.

table of articles
                         male              female      neutral
nominative          der Mann       die Frau    das Kind
genitive              des Mannes    der Frau    des Kindes
dative                 dem Mann     der Frau    dem Kind
accusative           den  Mann     die Frau    das Kind

I'm not much of a "the teacher sucked that's why I couldn't learn" type of guy, but my German teachers REALLY sucked. During middle and high school, our teacher ONLY did his lessons in the level of the geeks (who were the majority); and at university, I decided to choose German as the elective second foreign language course (as it was the only 3rd language that I had had some familiarity with); and our teacher was horrible at Turkish, I was horrible at German and that's why my 8 years of German education granted me almost nothing. If only I had chosen French at university, we learned that the teacher was excellent and was giving awesome marks at the same time. My German course grades definitely negatively affected my overall grade point average. Misfortunate...

Edited by Shadowyzard - February 13 2021 at 08:19
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 07:52
try learning German. the articles and pronouns alone will drive you mad.

table of articles
                         male              female      neutral
nominative          der Mann       die Frau    das Kind
genitive              des Mannes    der Frau    des Kindes
dative                 dem Mann     der Frau    dem Kind
accusative           den  Mann     die Frau    das Kind

Edited by BaldJean - February 13 2021 at 07:58

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Umeda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 07:31
C1. Honestly, I expected less. Really enjoyed the test, thank you for sharing it with us.
Not for rent. To any God or government.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 06:01
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 00:03
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

13-1

Absolutely.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2021 at 17:49
13-1
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 06:33
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

a86bc790-d410-4e1c-b0db-eac2fe72aebf

LOLLOLLOLThumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 06:15
a86bc790-d410-4e1c-b0db-eac2fe72aebf
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 06:53
LOLThumbs Up
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 06:47
Funny but TRUE story..........this has been going viral on the Net for years !!!:)
Some years ago, a uni student had gone to a private language school to get some info on Greek lessons because she had to do a 2-year work/internship in Greece. She needed to speak, write and reason in perfect Greek. 
She started her lessons with a mother-tongue Greek teacher. The course lasted two years and by the end of the course, she spoke quite well, but not perfectly. This had to do since she couldn't waste more time and go to Greece. 
When in Greece, she went shopping, the cinema, discos, etc. and logically communicated in Greek. From the very beginning, everyone she spoke to started erupting in long hearty laughs!! The first couple of days, she thought it must have been her accent or perhaps the people listening to her were simply snobs. 
To make a long story short, the thing was that she had been given ancient Greek lessons !!!!! Everyone thought the student was crazy or something !!! hahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahahhahaha :)

Edited by triptych - January 19 2021 at 06:48
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 04:51
Originally posted by triptych triptych wrote:

I'm a certified Cambridge examiner involved in the CEFW and I can safely say that quite a few native speakers don't pass the Proficiency exam, let alone IELTS !!!
This goes to show that most native speakers use the language very well to communicate, but when it comes to explaining the grammar, they just flop.

I agree. It seems the same for the natives of any language. There was an Azerbaijani woman that I met who was studying Turkology, and to my amazement, her Turkish seemed far better than mine technically and grammar wise. I inquired if she had been living in Turkey for a long time and/or if her parents are from Turkey, but no! 

I think this situation is related to "how" and "when" one learns a language. Non-native speakers are taught grammar for years since childhood or later, whilst natives begin to learn since babyhood. In the latter case, your brain sucks the language like a sponge, whether it is from a "clean" source or not. So, if your parents don't have a flawless command of the language, you're likely to end up with having a flawed command of the language; and it is not an easy thing to correct it, as the flaws also operate like the ingrained/embedded codes of your self-expression.

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 19 2021 at 04:56
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 04:47
Being weird, I purposely answered all the questions wrong and got a result of A1. I guess that means the test is working appropriately.

I also like to give answers to survey questions that conflict earlier questions I've answered. I guess that's not being very helpful, but it makes me grin.

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 23:55
I'm a certified Cambridge examiner involved in the CEFW and I can safely say that quite a few native speakers don't pass the Proficiency exam, let alone IELTS !!!
This goes to show that most native speakers use the language very well to communicate, but when it comes to explaining the grammar, they just flop.

Edited by triptych - January 18 2021 at 23:56
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 20:46
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

and since I read Shakespeare and a lot of literature from 18th and 19th century too I know a lot of ancient words
Like Bellbottoms?

like "cockalorum". a good word to describe Trump. it means "a little man who incorrectly has a very high opinion of himself"

Edited by BaldJean - January 18 2021 at 20:49

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 18:52

and since I read Shakespeare and a lot of literature from 18th and 19th century too I know a lot of ancient words
Like Bellbottoms?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 17:51
did it bite you? Wink

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 17:16
I just done crushed that Pabst Blue Ribbon can like a skeeter by the cement pond. Yeehaw!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 17:10
I also know more than some ancient and obsolete English words, but I cannot say "a lot" to that.

But I know lots of bizarre words, thanks to metal music! Cool
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 17:06

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 17:03
LOL

^ Ah sure, my Turkish interfered. Standart is the Turkish of standard, also. BTW, my mind can sometimes be unpleasantly strange. I literally wrote "beuty" instead of "beauty" for a couple of years. I was a B2 then. Quite shameful, I'd say. Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>