Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Barclay James Harvest Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barclay James Harvest Albums
    Posted: January 10 2021 at 13:15

BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST are the featured artist this time around, as we ONCE AGAIN  delve into the history of BARCLAY JAMES HARVEST & OTHER SHORT STORIES. Who can forget the cute picture of  BABY JAMES HARVEST poking his head out of a plant pot on their fourth album cover. Here at ProgArchives, EVERYONE IS EVERYBODY ELSE in the progosphere, where the classic albums of BJH appear like TIME HONOURED GHOSTS from time to time. The eighth month of the year was OCTOBER ON the ancient Roman calendar, making it the perfect name for the eighth Barclay James Harvest album. The band took a short break, but weren't GONE TO EARTH for long though before returning  with their best-selling album of all time in 1977. In the XII Kingdoms of Prog, Barclay James Harvest reigned supreme and the EYES OF THE UNIVERSE were upon them in 1982 for their CONCERT FOR THE PEOPLE IN BERLIN. This landmark gig for BJH preceded a TURN OF THE TIDE in the Cold War when a RING OF CHANGES were on the way and the old Soviet leaders became VICTIMS OF CIRCUMSTANCE, following the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991. The world became a safer place with no more FACE TO FACE Cold War confrontations between East and West with the ever-present threat of nuclear armageddon hanging over the world. History didn't end in 1991 though, and in the prophetic words of Messrs Emerson, Lake & Palmer, WELCOME TO THE SHOW that never ends, because there were new threats on the way in a new century. CAUGHT IN THE LIGHT of a beautifully clear morning on 11th September 2001, an airliner flew low over New York City..... The RIVER OF DREAMS would soon be shattered forever!

Barclay James Harvest Albums 

5 stars 1971: Barclay James Harvest & Other Short Stories - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCK3-MJ4r9HC8GWo8kVDBrs
 4 stars 1999: Barclay James Harvest Through the Eyes of John Lees - Nexus - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzAnJf4fy-UyTbP_6H-SPmTv
 3 stars 2002: Barclay James Harvest featuring Les Holroyd - Revolution Days - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzB8pDRTcu_yxHf3nVYEjWt4
 4 stars 2006: Barclay James Harvest featuring Les Holroyd - Classic Meets Rock - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzBSpBYZ-4HvvbvdRjuK5d3m
 4 stars 2013: John Lees' Barclay James Harvest - North - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCUAJuwo1TASoaHUd5OKUpg

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - June 05 2021 at 10:41
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 02:11
As I've said many times here, BJH are a bit of a puzzle for me. I'd rate "Once Again" in my top 10 prog albums (probably even top 10 albums) but of the rest of their albums I've listened to, none have really grabbed me at all.
I try again from time to time but they don't do anything for me, that's not too say they're bad. I will keep trying.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 03:34
Love BJH. Seen them many times over the years and they've always been brilliant. I would describe their music as being very 'English' and their musicianship is un-showy, but fits the material to a T. 
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 07:27
My only real puzzle is how you rated "North" only 3 stars, since 3 stars seems to be the lowest you give out, and it's much better than any of their post XII studio albums, except possibly "Ring of Changes"
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 07:33
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

My only real puzzle is how you rated "North" only 3 stars, since 3 stars seems to be the lowest you give out, and it's much better than any of their post XII studio albums, except possibly "Ring of Changes"
It could be because I've only heard two songs from the North album, as that's all there is available on YouTube at the moment. Embarrassed Confused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 07:35
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

As I've said many times here, BJH are a bit of a puzzle for me. I'd rate "Once Again" in my top 10 prog albums (probably even top 10 albums) but of the rest of their albums I've listened to, none have really grabbed me at all.
I try again from time to time but they don't do anything for me, that's not too say they're bad. I will keep trying.
I like BJH's Live albums best of all, as you can probably tell from my ratings, where I've given every Live album a full 5-star rating. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 07:35
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

It could be because I've only heard two songs from the North album, as that's all there is available on YouTube at the moment. Embarrassed Confused

so you rated based on 2 songs? What if the rest of them suck? LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 07:38
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

Love BJH. Seen them many times over the years and they've always been brilliant. I would describe their music as being very 'English' and their musicianship is un-showy, but fits the material to a T. 

Even their name sounds very English. I read somewhere that when the band were trying to come up with a name, they just mixed three random words together, and they liked the sound of Barclay James Harvest best of all. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 07:40
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Well, from what Keneth Levine says, I doubt if the remaining unheard songs on the album do "suck". Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 07:41

Well, from what Keneth Levine says, I doubt if the remaining unheard songs on the album do "suck". Smile

yeah, but it's his opinion the album is good, not yours. LOL
I think you are disagreeing for the sake of it. LOL
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 07:49

I like BJH's Live albums best of all, as you can probably tell from my ratings, where I've given every Live album a full 5-star rating. Smile
I shall check out the live albums then.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 08:00

I shall check out the live albums then.
I should start with the first one: Live (1974), then if you like that album, there's a good chance you'll enjoy all of BJH's other Live albums too. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 08:02

How can I disagree? I can't have an opinion on songs I've never even heard. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 08:07

How can I disagree? I can't have an opinion on songs I've never even heard. Smile

you shouldn't rate albums you've heard two songs from LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 08:21
 ^ Maybe I'll upgrade it to a 4-star rating when I've heard the remaining songs on the North album. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 08:22

^ Maybe I'll upgrade it to a 4-star rating when I've heard the remaining songs on the North album. Smile

yeah, you'll give it 6 stars. LOL
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 09:04

Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

Even their name sounds very English. I read somewhere that when the band were trying to come up with a name, they just mixed three random words together, and they liked the sound of Barclay James Harvest best of all. Smile

What I heard was that the Barclay was for the bank because they wanted to make money, the Harvest was for the label (though some stories refute this, but they were after all the first band on the label), and the James was just to have a name to say how English they were
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 09:10
^ I can just picture Barclay James Harvest being a trusted bank manager who works in The City and wears a bowler hat and dark pin-striped suit to work. Smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 09:12
It's certainly a name that fits their music. Take that as you will.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2021 at 09:49

Listening to the studio stuff I was dubious about BJH, and then I listened to the 1974 live album: that band and that sound stayed with me for good.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>