Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do you listen more to recently discovered music?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you listen more to recently discovered music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 01:25
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

This last decade I have been trying to keep up with a bit of new music (though this very last year I didn't keep up very well at all). Yet, even though I have found some great music doing so, once I found what I liked and bought it, and added it to my playlists and everything, when I'm looking for something to listen to out of the stuff I already know and love, I usually end up going for the older stuff I have known for a longer time.
Quite the same here.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 06:16
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

This last decade I have been trying to keep up with a bit of new music (though this very last year I didn't keep up very well at all). Yet, even though I have found some great music doing so, once I found what I liked and bought it, and added it to my playlists and everything, when I'm looking for something to listen to out of the stuff I already know and love, I usually end up going for the older stuff I have known for a longer time.
Quite the same here.

Ditto.

But I have to remark that the majority of "newly discovered" listens is due to the reviews, polls and feedback from this website. It's a remarkable group of people, and the varied insights have broadened my musical horizons.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
FXM View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FXM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 06:42
Probably 90-95% "new music" - ie newly acquired CDs, although some of those could be albums originally released from 1970's to 2010's.
Occasionally I root out older discs from my collection, usually older albums by an artist that has just released a new album which I have on order. For example, while I was waiting for delivery of The Flower King's "Islands" I listed to much of their back catalogue.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 10:14
No...mostly the old prog things....I do play Wobbler , IQ, PT and Wilson...but most of the prog and classic rock I play is older than 1980. I do find old retro things I missed back in the day and play them but it's older music and not new modern bands. I recently found an original vinyl of Titus Groan and Warm Dust-2nd lp,,,,of course those are old obscure prog things....so again it's old stuff.
Alas....I am hopelessly stuck in the past.
Stern Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 10:26
I mainly listen to music that's new to me by artists and bands who've been around since the dawn of prog, so I'm hopelessly stuck in the past too, but in a good way. Smile
Tancos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tancos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 11:16
I don't buy a lot of music these days, so most of what I listen to is stuff I've had on hand a while. So, say, 80% old, 20% new. Note that "old" here includes extreme technical metal and the like from the last ten years, and "new," obscure prog circa 1970.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 11:35
I'm always finding new stuff to groove to but the new stuff is usually old.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 12:55
2020 had not been a very good year for financial security. All my purchasing, even guitar effects, were re-prioritized.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 13:06
I have this row of elpees that are new to me. But I still listen to my favorite 'known' records about 70% of the time. There's about 20% of vocal jazz, 10% Dutch artists, 10% metal, 20% psychedelic and folk and the other 40% is prog.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 13:26
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

80% New

20% Old

100% Prog

So you don't listen to anything except prog? I'm not judging. I'm just curious because I would think that would be somewhat unusual(although not unheard of). 
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 13:31
Maybe 50-60% new to me and the rest good old "comfort" music. Maybe half of the new to being older than 10 years as there is lot of music I missed the first time around.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 14:08
I generally listen to prog all day on YouTube, and then listen to anything but prog all night on CD. Smile
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 14:31
10% local independent radio station.
60% new musicians (different genres)
30% prog
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 14:37
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

80% New

20% Old

100% Prog

So you don't listen to anything except prog? I'm not judging. I'm just curious because I would think that would be somewhat unusual(although not unheard of). 
If I listen to it and I like it, it must be prog.  WinkLOL
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 17:35
^ When I get drunk, I listen to Britney and Madonna.

Please don't take my prog badge..
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 19:53
Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Quite the same here.

Ditto.

But I have to remark that the majority of "newly discovered" listens is due to the reviews, polls and feedback from this website. It's a remarkable group of people, and the varied insights have broadened my musical horizons.

I might add that, if the "new" music I happen to find is actually originally from the 70's, then it's more likely to end up being among the music I'll keep listening later on more regularly (or perhaps music from the 00's and 10's, but then that would be metal... or prog metal... or new music from the old guys, specially if they find their roots again).
FXM View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FXM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 04:17
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

80% New

I listen to almost 100% prog - life is too short to listen to anything else!!
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 06:28
^I say that life is too short to only listen to prog. A lot of music enjoy outside of prog for me.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 06:30
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

^I say that life is too short to only listen to prog. A lot of music enjoy outside of prog for me.

I agree. Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 06:44
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

^ When I get drunk, I listen to Britney and Madonna.

Please don't take my prog badge..
I listen to Madonna too, and I even voted for her True Blue album in a recent "prog" poll. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>