Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do you listen more to recently discovered music?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do you listen more to recently discovered music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 06:49
I find time for a lot of modern jazz.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 07:29
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Me too, although modern jazz to me means any jazz from the last fifty years. Smile
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 12:40
Over the past decade I've been listening to between 200-400 new release albums from each year. Of these, maybe 40 to 50 receive regular play over the course of a year or so, with maybe five albums from each year carrying over into multiple years of active listening. At the same time, PA has been able to excite in me a  continuous stream of curiosity for the thousands I records I missed over these 55 years of progressive rock music. I have probably expanded my collection and awareness of "classic" era prog by a factor of two since I joined PA in 2007--which means about 1000 new albums to my listenership. Then there are all of the albums I discover retrospectively when I get into a "phase" of trying to get to know & explore a sub-genre or decade that I know little of. In short, the past fourteen years have been filled with probably about 95% "new" (to me) music; about 5% given to my "old favorites."

ProgArchives has enabled me to become the prog-o-phile that I have become; new artists help fuel the fire.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 13:04
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Could you list maybe six of these modern jazz bands you think are the among the best you listen to? I don't mean avant prog jazz but more or less pure jazz artists or at least ones who could be categorized as jazz. If you include fusion with that then that's ok too. Thanks.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 14 2021 at 13:06
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 16:00
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I listen to Madonna too..

Ah good. I'm glad I'm not alone in that LOL
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123