Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

genesis ( wind and wuthering )

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: genesis ( wind and wuthering )
    Posted: January 13 2021 at 16:33
The last genesis album with steve hackett is a more of a quite affair the opener ELEVENTH EARL OF MAR is a stunning song about medieval warfare.ONE FOR THE VINE
featuring a lovely keyboard arrangement by tony banks.YOUR OWN SPECIAL WAY is kinda song that shows the direction the band was starting to embark on mainsteam.The other song,s are o.k i guess but i really liked BLOOD ON THE ROOF TOPS and AFTERGLOW once again tony banks carries the day. i have seen the tribute band THE MUSICAL BOX perform some of these tracks live they do an amazing job
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to read my review grant
Four out of five stars
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 17:46
A very good album and one of the best in their catalog. Apparently Steve left the band mainly because he felt his material wasn't finding it's way onto their albums as much as he thought it should. Is it the end of their period? As far as full albums go it probably is but it's not like they didn't anything that could be considered prog after it. One of my top three Genesis albums.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 20:30
Overall, a very good album. One for the Vine, Blood on the Rooftops, Afterglow, etc. Only "Your Own Special Way" drags on for a half hour too long.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2021 at 20:47
Overall I prefer it to Trick.....One for the Vine and Blood on the Rooftops amd Mar are better than the long songs on Trick imho. Trick seemed dull except for Dance.

Edited by dr wu23 - January 13 2021 at 20:52
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 00:32
An very good album. Almost on a par with Trick. It would have benefitted with the inclusion of another Hackett song, and missing off YOSW.

On 'side 2' Blood on the Rooftops through to Afterglow is pretty much perfect Genesis.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 02:11
Definitely spottier than Trick, and not only with that awful YOSW (which really last twice as long as it needs to), but TBH, Wot Gorilla is not strong and I'm not all that enamoured with Afterglow. And Mouse's Night is not nearly as stupendous a mini rock-opera  as RA&B

Their weaker album since Tresspass (incl), but it's still in their classic albums (I stopped at Duke)

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 01:20
I find it a bit 'all over the place' and Collins drumming seems strangely 'stiff' to my ears. On the other hand Hackett has his last hurrah before moving on. 4 stars of messy prog from a band that is normally more focused. 
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 09:38
Love W&W. It has for me more " highs" than TOTT but also more " lows". I have edited my DAP to omit YOSW and replace it with inside and out which makes the album sound even better.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 09:46
A very good album that I felt could have been a little bit better. Perhaps YOSW brought it down too much for me.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 09:54
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

A very good album that I felt could have been a little bit better. Perhaps YOSW brought it down too much for me.

it's true, YOSW breaks the flow of the album a little bit. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 10:04
Yes, absolutely.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 16:11
Incredibly uneven album. One for the vine, Afterglow and Blood on the rooftops are wonderful - but some tripe on there too. Your own special way.......no thanks
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 16:22
I'd like it much more if the third song had been "Inside and Out", and "Your Own Special Way" had been a single release only.
 Post Reply Post Reply