Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd: A Momentary Lapse Of Reason.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 09:15
I sort of have a soft spot for this one. I was just starting my first year of college and this was the first new Pink Floyd release I ever experienced in real time. I somehow missed The Final Cut back in 1983. In the context of 1987, there really wasn't much else of note on the radio and this was a big deal back then. It got a lot of radio play, and not just the official singles that were released. This was before I even knew what prog was and I had yet to even hear of the name Marillion (Clutching at Straws came out that year). I later saw them on the North American leg of their tour in 1988.

So yeah, it was a Gilmour solo effort that morphed into a pseudo-Pink Floyd album in name only. Mason wasn't confident in his drumming abilities (imagine that?) and his participation was minimal. Wright only performed on about half the songs and wasn't even a full member. Mason used a drum machine on Terminal Frost and Gilmour used a drum machine on Sorrow. Definitely a product of its time period, but better than a lot of stuff that came out that year.

Like I said, it's more of an emotional attachment than a genuine regard for its quality compared the whole discography of PF. Terminal Frost (yeah, even with the drum machine) and The Dogs of War are my favorites from it.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 20:47
I do like the album. It's not as good as other Floyd albums, but it's full of beautiful guitars from Gilmour, and some songs that I really do love in On the Turning Away and Yet Another Movie (yet, I like both songs much better on Delicate Sound of Thunder).
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 09:44
I like Learning To Fly and On The Turning Away....the rest is forgettable for me.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 10:51
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I love all nine of David Gilmour's solo albums. Thumbs Up
Take that, Sean Trane!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 11:24
I think it's very good. There are some interesting things going on on side two(especially some of the instrumental stuff). I guess you could say that this is to PF what Big Generator was to Yes at the time. Not as good as the earlier stuff but still good and still interesting.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 15 2021 at 12:07
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 11:42
I really like Lapse, and whenever I’ve been asked what my top five Floyd albums are, it’s quite often it. It does stay right on the periphery though, so that I wasn’t even sure where I had ranked it in Paul’s Top Seven Albums thread.

For the record, here is that top seven. (Apart from the top two which are set in stone, the rest can change depending on day and mood.)

1. Wish You Were Here
2. Animals

3. The Wall
4. Meddle
5. Obscured By Clouds
6. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
7. Atom Heart Mother

As for why it is so high in my affections, that is probably because it was the first Floyd album I bought (and one of the first albums I bought fullstop). The first album I own often stays in my affections to a far higher degree than it possibly deserves to be. But, to be fair, I do think it’s a good album. For sure, it is perhaps more a Gilmour album than a Floyd album, but it’s still better than any other Gilmour solo album, and I do think it is better than some Floyd albums. Top five better? Objectively, probably not - but subjectively, most definitely so.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 19:07
^ My top two are definitley the same, though the rest I'm not really so sure. Number 3 should be The Division Bell. And then, something between Meddle, Dark Side, The Wall, Live at Pompeii, Atom Heart Mother.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 03:49
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ My top two are definitley the same, though the rest I'm not really so sure. Number 3 should be The Division Bell. And then, something between Meddle, Dark Side, The Wall, Live at Pompeii, Atom Heart Mother.

Objectively, The Division Bell is both more of a Pink Floyd album than Lapse, AND a better album (regardless of provenance) than Lapse.  And yet, as much as I like it, and recognise Bell as a great album, it just doesn’t resonate with me personally so much as other albums. I would put it ahead of Dark Side though, which is one of my less favourite Floyd albums. I don’t dislike it, but it’s never done much for me.

But we all have different tastes, and I definitely don’t judge anyone for what they choose - even if they choose The Endless River to be their absolute favourite Floyd album. I think too much is made of it being demos, as they way they are crafted together is very well done. I like River more than Dark Side, too. And I know quite a few people for whom River is top three or top five, and can understand why, even if I don’t find the same myself.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 20:23
^ Yeah, I think it's rather unfair to call The Endless River demos or leftovers. They are not demos, because they were finished in order to release them... and leftovers, it's unfair to call them that, for I believe it's not for lack of quality that they were not used, but because what they wanted to do with The Division Bell was different, it was more straight forward songs and not so much atmospheric instrumental passages. I believe they actually intended to use them for another album from the beginning, but somehow they didn't do it until about 20 years later. I still believe that, as much as I love The Division Bell, they might have achieved something even greater if they had been up to using and combining the best of both albums back in the time. They might even have used the instrumental passages not only as separate songs, but to enhance and expand the songs that ended up in The Division Bell.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 02:25

^ Yeah, I think it's rather unfair to call The Endless River demos or leftovers. They are not demos, because they were finished in order to release them... and leftovers, it's unfair to call them that, for I believe it's not for lack of quality that they were not used, but because what they wanted to do with The Division Bell was different, it was more straight forward songs and not so much atmospheric instrumental passages. I believe they actually intended to use them for another album from the beginning, but somehow they didn't do it until about 20 years later. I still believe that, as much as I love The Division Bell, they might have achieved something even greater if they had been up to using and combining the best of both albums back in the time. They might even have used the instrumental passages not only as separate songs, but to enhance and expand the songs that ended up in The Division Bell.

That’s how I feel about it. And what I think, too - that had they released an album that was the beat of both, it might have been terrific!

I know a lot of people love Bell, and I do think it’s great, but clearly it wasn’t part of my top seven (as listed somewhere above), and I think a lot of that is because it seemed to (as you put it) straight forward songs based. I can’t help thinking that integrating some of the ideas from River would have made the album stronger and more interesting and enjoyable.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 03:16

^ Yeah, I think it's rather unfair to call The Endless River demos or leftovers. They are not demos, because they were finished in order to release them... and leftovers, it's unfair to call them that, for I believe it's not for lack of quality that they were not used, but because what they wanted to do with The Division Bell was different, it was more straight forward songs and not so much atmosphérique instrumental passages. I believe they actually intended to use them for another album from the beginning, but somehow they didn't do it until about 20 years later. I still believe that, as much as I love The Division Bell, they might have achieved something even greater if they had been up to using and combining the best of both albums back in the time. They might even have used the instrumental passages not only as separate songs, but to enhance and expand the songs that ended up in The Division Bell.

They are clearly more than demos for sure, and yet, they're not really finished products either (they lack Roger Waters lyrics LOL). They're more like "work-in-progress".  I don't think using "leftovers" to qualify the ER tracks is insulting either, especially that if memory serves, they were +/- presented and sold to us as such, as well as a tribute to Wright.

FTM, I'd like TDB a lot more if there were a couple cruddier tracks taken out (don't get me wrong, the worst TDB track is twice better than the best AMLOR track) and replaced with a few "leftover" instrumental material.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 03:52
Definitely not one of my favourites of Floyd and seemed to rather justify Waters' purported reason for breaking up the band.  TDB fared a little better though it remained soporific Floyd.  All mushy, pleasant, feelgood music ripe for AOR stations and a far cry from their 70s work.  Then again, to puncture Messr Waters a little, not like they were going to capture those heights again with him.  It's just....these albums feel somewhat redundant and don't add anything in particular to their legacy.  I know artists don't make albums to add to their legacy; they just make them because they love music and, well, they need new material to take on tour once in a while LOL.  But as a listener, I don't find much of anything to take back from both these albums but especially Momentary Lapse. 
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 04:12
A pretty good album (3.5-4 stars), but I cannot rank it higher than #12 on my list of PF studio albums. The Division Bell is the best of the post-Waters albums imho.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 05:01
Nah. I didn't like the Final Cut much and PF are and were at the time one of my favourite bands, so I had High Hopes for the first Floyd without Waters, but no! I mean, the thing here isn't really that it'd be bad. It's still OK music well played, but it really doesn't have anything that attracts me. I don't think I ever have felt that I wanted to listen to this one after having heard it twice - only for checking that it's really no better...

The Division Bell has highlights even though overall it's not of that high a standard; The Endless River I really like, although of course it's not 5 star... and The Final Cut these days seems to be the far more interesting album than both AMLOR and Division Bell (even though I wouldn't call it enjoyable)... but AMLOR, nah! 

Edited by Lewian - January 17 2021 at 09:48
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 08:06
Pink Floyd is my favorite group, but I can't listen to this album.

The one after has one song I like, "What Do You Want From Me?"
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123