Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slartibartfast's Review Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slartibartfast's Review Appreciation Thread
    Posted: January 14 2021 at 18:12
This is the continuation of the "I really like your review" thread. An idea originally started by Special Collaborator Sagichim, to open a discussion thread where anyone can come express appreciation and share kind words for reviews they find particularly insightful and/or well-written.

The thread will also now serve as a memorial to Brian S. Lindsey, known to most here by his profile name, Slartibartfast. Brian was a Progarchives reviewer who joined the site in 2006. He left the world in late 2020 at the age of 55. It seems only appropriate that a man who was never miserly with his kind words here on the Progarchives forum be the symbolic overseer for this catalog of appreciation.  

Edited by Tapfret - January 14 2021 at 18:16
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 18:56
Only 55? That's just not fair!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 22:37
Good work Ian, and RIP Brian-Slarti! Heart
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2021 at 23:33
Oh my, I missed that news!!  

RIP Slartibartfast, it was always a joy to read his writing and interact with him!  Cry
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 04:09

What an incredibly sad story of Brian's life and passing. With all the nonsense going on in the wider world, we forget that individuals like Brian can suffer such personal tragedies. RIP Brian.

Edited by SteveG - January 15 2021 at 07:16
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 05:01
Whenever featuring an album on ProgEars, I'll be sure to read Slarti's reviews when I come across one to see if it's worthy of publication there.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Machinemessiah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Machinemessiah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 07:11
I can't believe it ... 😔

Without having known him besides as a fellow user... it really pains!   😭 😭 😭

I value his transparency at having his picture as profile...  he seemed such a good chap! ...and fellow guitarist. Not to mention his sense of humor and positive energy with his t-shirt full of color.

I'd wish we could've done something to help.

Brian, may you Rest in Peace.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 07:11
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Whenever featuring an album on ProgEars, I'll be sure to read Slarti's reviews when I come across one to see if it's worthy of publication there.

Nice gesture Sean.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 08:40
To kick off a topic, the two reviews of Reticent's "The Oubliette" by TCat and Necrotica were excellent! Clap
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 09:45
very sorry to hear this.  I loved his humour, even his handle name...
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 17:57
Also saddened by the news. Ditto all the positive thoughts and memories of his upbeat interactivity wherever and whenever I encountered his (usually on Ian Beaubot's college radio show).

Nice gesture, Ian, naming this revised thread after "Brian".

This post was meant to be for Psychedelic Paul:

Paul! 
I just LOVE your creative way of introducing your poll and discussion posts! So clever and witty! You must put a lot of time and energy into formulating them. Kudos to you, bud, for putting in the work. It shows how much you love your music--and how much you love promoting the artists and albums you love. Bravissimo!

Sincerely, 
Drew Fisher

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 14:57
I only had a few conversations with Brian, but what I did have with him was completely positive.  He never really complained about his predicament either.  He was always quite positive about it.  What a sad thing to happen to anyone in this cruel world.

A word on The Anders review of "Help!" by The Beatles.  That is an amazing review he did there considering that album (like he states) is a difficult one to review.  But he did it and did it quite well.  Nice job! THE BEATLES Help! music review by The Anders (progarchives.com)

Edited by TCat - January 25 2021 at 14:59

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 18:15
^It is an excellent review. I wish The Anders would review more often. His review of "My Bonnie", as I stated at the time, deserves a spot in the Progarchives.com reviewing hall of fame as the greatest 1-star review of a non-prog single. 

Edited by Tapfret - January 25 2021 at 18:16
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 15:17
Thanks for the nice words Smile

I know I haven't written so many reviews, but I like to go more in details with the albums, so it is pretty time consuming. That being said, I have actually written quite a few lately. But since there are so many reviews posted a day, they quickly disappear from the front page.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 06:49
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

To kick off a topic, the two reviews of Reticent's "The Oubliette" by TCat and Necrotica were excellent! Clap

Thank you! That album hit me hard because my Grandma died from Alzheimer’s, so I knew I was gonna get personal with that one. And the music itself is phenomenal
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 09:27
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Thank you! That album hit me hard because my Grandma died from Alzheimer’s, so I knew I was gonna get personal with that one. And the music itself is phenomenal

AGREED!!! Thanks to Mike and Brendan I've got a new Album of the Year for 2020!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 10:43
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

AGREED!!! Thanks to Mike and Brendan I've got a new Album of the Year for 2020!

Thanks Drew and Steve!  It makes me happy to see this well deserved album get some love!  Brenden and Drew, I really enjoyed and echo your reviews on the album.  I pushed the band through the PM team at the last minute to be able to add this album for 2020's AOTY.  

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2021 at 13:00
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

^It is an excellent review. I wish The Anders would review more often. His review of "My Bonnie", as I stated at the time, deserves a spot in the Progarchives.com reviewing hall of fame as the greatest 1-star review of a non-prog single. 
Yes, I've been enjoying the Beatles reviews by the Anders too, including the newest "Rubber Soul". And these are albums that I know like the back of my hand, so that's really saying something.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 09:25
Another round of enjoyable reviews today from BrufordFreak, Dougmcauliffe, Rivertree, T Cat  and Ken Levine. Thanks for the enjoyable reads!  Clap

Edited by SteveG - February 11 2021 at 09:28
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2021 at 00:01
I really liked Andrea's review of the new Darrell's Journal 2116 album. That sci-fi element sounds like something I'd be interested in 
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>