Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slartibartfast's Review Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 14:59
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

I really liked Andrea's review of the new Darrell's Journal 2116 album. That sci-fi element sounds like something I'd be interested in 
I'm looking forward to more of your reviews Brendan. Aside from great reviews, I appreciate that you have the class to compliment other reviewers as well. Something this site could use a lot more of. Cheers.

Edited by SteveG - February 24 2021 at 15:00
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 17:52
Thanks, I appreciate that! I'm actually thinking of applying to become a genre collaborator pretty soon... I figure I've been a reviewer on here for quite a long time (all the way back since 2008 if we're counting my old account), so it only seems right to try and shoot for something higher
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 22:14
Oh snap, you didn't! Just when I thought it couldn't get better, you wax poetic on Souls At Zero that perfectly captured the music and dark mood of the album. Bravo, and well done Mr. B.   

Edited by SteveG - February 24 2021 at 22:16
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2021 at 23:44
Haha, thank you! I'm kinda sad that the site doesn't accommodate the format (I had organized stanzas and everything) but it's all good.

Also, I have a Bjork one as well, but I'm gonna have to delete my rating for it first if I want to get it on the front page Smile
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2021 at 05:23
I really enjoyed Doug’s review of Opeth’s Watershed. I hadn’t registered that Heir Apparent had only harsh vocals either, until Doug pointed it out in the review.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2021 at 05:25
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I really enjoyed Doug’s review of Opeth’s Watershed. I hadn’t registered that Heir Apparent had only harsh vocals either, until Doug pointed it out in the review.

Seconded! Doug does good stuff.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2021 at 06:15
Thanks a lot guys! Really appreciate it!
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2021 at 06:28
Kudos to you too Nick on the Coilkowka review, and to rogerthat on The Future Bites. Clap

Edited by SteveG - March 15 2021 at 06:30
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2021 at 14:04
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Kudos to you too Nick on the Coilkowka review, and to rogerthat on The Future Bites. Clap

Agreed. I think rogerthat got it absolutely spot on with his review of The Future Bites.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2021 at 05:54
A really good review from A Crimson Mellotron on the Future Bites. But like many others, it reads like a 4 star review that only ends up with 3. Perhaps I'm reading too much into them. Regardless, it was excellent.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2021 at 05:10
SillyPuppy did a great review on the old Popul Vuh chesnut, keeping those krautrock fires burning!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2021 at 18:47
Kudos  for Steve's review of new Strawbs album!
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2021 at 04:42
I loved Doug’s Atheist review, which has made me want to listen to an album I’ve never even considered listening to. That’s the power of a good review!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2021 at 04:56
^ Hey thanks dude! I hope you enjoy it, it's been easily one of my most listened to albums this year and i've been playing it on a near daily basis for a couple months now, it just hasn't gotten old. The vocals took me a little while to adjust to, since they're a little different than what I was used to with Death and Opeth, so just a fair warning there Smile
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2021 at 06:06
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

^ Hey thanks dude! I hope you enjoy it, it's been easily one of my most listened to albums this year and i've been playing it on a near daily basis for a couple months now, it just hasn't gotten old. The vocals took me a little while to adjust to, since they're a little different than what I was used to with Death and Opeth, so just a fair warning there Smile

Warning noted. In fact, that’s why I’ve never even considered listening to Atheist before. I’ve never been the greatest fan of harsh vocals, and that’s an understatement. But your review really highlights what I’m missing out on, because of my fear/aversion of the vocals. I think I’m ready to give this band a go. Whether or not I enjoy it, I can’t be sure - but your review has definitely given me the push....

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2021 at 06:17
That's awesome to hear! At the end of the day, worst case scenario is that it's not your cup of tea. And if that's the case, i'm not gonna be offended, it's understandable haha.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2021 at 01:30
I loved TCat’s Kurushimi review. I’ve been a fan of the band for some time. I can’t remember now, but I think they were the first band I heard from the Art As Catharsis label. So many great bands on that label. I’ve not ever looked to see how many are in PA, but Kurushimi are definitely not the only ones deserving to be included. Hopefully TCat’s review will prompt some to check out the band, and others on the label.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2021 at 10:22
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I loved TCat’s Kurushimi review. I’ve been a fan of the band for some time. I can’t remember now, but I think they were the first band I heard from the Art As Catharsis label. So many great bands on that label. I’ve not ever looked to see how many are in PA, but Kurushimi are definitely not the only ones deserving to be included. Hopefully TCat’s review will prompt some to check out the band, and others on the label.

Thanks Nick.  One of these days I hope to check out more bands on that label.

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2021 at 03:16
Great review from Keishiro for new PA entry, Blueprint Human Being. And, as per the review, thanks also to Andrew for sharing it with us. 👍🏻🥰

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2021 at 07:22
A really good run of reviews lately from TCat, SillyPuppy, VianaProghead and a new chap who goes by the name of LuisM. Great reviews on great albums ranging from The Amazing Blondel to Dream Theater to KayoDot. Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>