Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slartibartfast's Review Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2021 at 03:50
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Kudos to you too Nick on the Coilkowka review, and to rogerthat on The Future Bites. Clap

Agreed. I think rogerthat got it absolutely spot on with his review of The Future Bites.

Thanks both!  Didn't know of this thread's existence, only just seeing this today. 
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2021 at 07:45
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Great review from Keishiro for new PA entry, Blueprint Human Being. And, as per the review, thanks also to Andrew for sharing it with us. 👍🏻🥰

Sooo glad you love them. This obscurity is kinda gem! Big smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2021 at 10:02

Good reviews today from Luca (octopus - 4) on his on Alio Die review, which gave me a good laugh, and on his review of Rabih Abou Khalil's Bukra. And from UMUR on his old Goblin review, along with Riverside's review of Unwise's latest. Nice.

Edited by SteveG - April 01 2021 at 10:06
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2021 at 07:45

A big hand to A Crimson Mellotron for capturing the backstory, creation and the mood of the music on Soft Machine's 4. Excellent review!

Edited by SteveG - April 03 2021 at 10:10
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 12:13
A good one today from that neo prog guru Lazland on the new one from Lifesigns. My feelings about it are mostly the same as the album doesn't wear well after initial listens, but I didn't know how to convey those thoughts as well as SteveL. Very nice Laz.

Edited by SteveG - April 06 2021 at 12:14
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 12:15

A good one today from that neo prog guru Lazland on the new one from Lifesigns. My feelings about it are mostly the same as the album doesn't wear well after initial listens, but I didn't know how to convey those thoughts as well as SteveL. Very nice Laz.

Many thanks, Steve Smile
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 12:57
Two gems in one day! Quite a treat. I'm referring now to Warthur's review on the 40th Anniversary Special Edition of Stormwatch, which get's to the heart of this special edition, the fantastic bonus material featuring a great Tull concert, remastered by Mr. Wilson, in which the band toured the Stormwatch album. Nice.

Edited by SteveG - April 06 2021 at 13:07
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2021 at 13:27

Two gems in one day! Quite a treat. I'm referring now to Warthur's review on the 40th Anniversary Special Edition of Stormwatch, which get's to the heart of this special edition, the fantastic bonus material featuring a great Tull concert, remastered by Mr. Wilson, in which the band toured the Stormwatch album. Nice.

Yes, I was just about to post the same. Warthur’s review is very good.

I did give Stormwatch a spin the other day, having seen the box set was coming out. For me, it is a three star album, and I might review it shortly, but no more than that. To me, ths5 is a discouragement from spending a lot of money, but Warthur waxing lyrical about that live set might well make me change my mind, which is, of course, the highest compliment that one can give a review.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 00:27
Really been enjoying Prog Zone's Yes reviews recently. Very informative and detailed Smile
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2021 at 05:47
An excellent first review on the Moody Blues' Keys To The Kingdom by a chap who goes by the name of Musicolorista. Check it out.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 04:40
Some really enjoyable reviews from nick h nzACrimsonMellotron and BrufordFreak. All are extremely informative and well written! Clap
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2021 at 04:42
Thanks, Steve! 🤗

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 05:22
I'm trying to catch up on the last 50 reviews, as I've been a bit busy lately. Excellent reviews abound from BrufordFreak, nick_h_nz, UMUR, VianaProgHead, SillyPuppy, T-Cat, ExitTheLemming, Damo and KevRoland. All were excellent.  Clap

Edited by SteveG - May 27 2021 at 05:22
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2021 at 09:42
I noticed that his profile is no longer on here. I guess one of the moderator's took it down. That's too bad.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 02:40

I'm trying to catch up on the last 50 reviews, as I've been a bit busy lately. Excellent reviews abound from BrufordFreak, nick_h_nz, UMUR, VianaProgHead, SillyPuppy, T-Cat, ExitTheLemming, Damo and KevRoland. All were excellent.  Clap

Thanks! 

Not from the front page, but I really enjoyed Greg’s review of Comus in his “Lowest Rated Reviews” post. Just wanted to give it a mention here, because it’s a really well written review that I hope has had the intended purpose for at least a couple of people who have read it. Keep On Trying, Greg! 🤗

I haven’t actually read the front page reviews at all this month, as I have been concentrating on making the most of NZ Music Month, but I will be back to reading the front page reviews in just a couple of days time. 👍🏻

Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 07:36
Excellent review of Robert Wyatt's Rock bottom by Kempokid. Thank you.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 07:42
Indeed. Both reviews from Mr. Kempoid are very good. A Crimson Mellotron has be putting out some good one's lately, too.

Edited by SteveG - May 28 2021 at 09:09
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2021 at 11:18
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Thanks! 

Not from the front page, but I really enjoyed Greg’s review of Comus in his “Lowest Rated Reviews” post. Just wanted to give it a mention here, because it’s a really well written review that I hope has had the intended purpose for at least a couple of people who have read it. Keep On Trying, Greg! 🤗

I haven’t actually read the front page reviews at all this month, as I have been concentrating on making the most of NZ Music Month, but I will be back to reading the front page reviews in just a couple of days time. 👍🏻

Thanks Nick, I very much appreciate that.  I worried that it may come across too much like a rambling rant, which it rather is.  It was quite reactionary to various reactions I was seeing (mostly in the forum) .  I may have shifted one person at least from the Comus is pure evil camp that rots your soul into the just kind of evil camp. I was less successful with initiating him into the Rosemary's Baby and The Omen appreciation club.  Evil Smile  Just kidding, well sort of kidding, I try to respect people's boundaries and comfort zones.  I avoid The Human Centipede series.  I have seen a lot of scorn for To Keep From Crying from First Utterance lovers and Comus hate from those who only know or have heard of First Utterance.  Still, neither album would be for everyone.  I will keep on trying and keep the crying to a minimum. :)
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2021 at 12:17
The 2 reviews of black midi's Cavalcade from siLLy puPPy and dougmcauliffe certainly give this stunning album its due. I can't see a better album, that's had the effect on me that this one has, being released this year. Top marks guys, I wish I could extol the virtues of this album as well as you.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2021 at 13:47
Thank you very much! I'm glad others here are enjoying it as much as I am, I agree with everything you've said as well. Everyone who likes prog released after the year 1980 should really give this one a few spins in my opinion.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>