Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slartibartfast's Review Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2021 at 10:43
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Yes is indeed. Having been made to feel as old as dirt with Brandon's references to the unwashed masses hailing Steely Dan's Aja as being both Yacht Rock and Boomer music, in his excellent review, I was soothed by the return of Lazland with excellent reviews of two albums right up my ally, the new ones by Big Big Train and Frost*. You see, there is a cure for aging, even if it's only in the mind.

Thank you, Steve. Much appreciated.

I have enjoyed the break from PA, although this was only from the forum, and send my deepest apologies to those I know were worried by my sudden absence, although I am aware you had posted reassurance following your kind PM. It was, though, pretty rude and selfish to suddenly disappear like that. My only excuse is that I needed the break.

The time away was not completely wasted. I have now completed a huge music playlists project I started some time ago, putting together music in five years blocks for playing especially when travelling, which will start again soon. All of this was done by reference to PA top albums, and reading reviews by people I trust to purchase, either cd or digitally, or otherwise add on my iTunes account loads of stuff, especially a huge amount of Italian prog I have criminally neglected over the years, and am really enjoying.

It was doing this which persuaded me of the continued importance of PA as a reference library. It also persuaded me of the continued need for Collabs here to review, because I know from interactions with artists and prog fans that this is where the site is a critical resource.

I will not be going back to that silly, but fun, birthday thing, because I really do not want to commit to something like that on a daily basis, because it becomes a chore or a duty as opposed to a silly thing. I am also determined to stay away from the non-music and political threads, because I find rational discourse to be almost impossible on many topics. Not with everybody, of course, but certainly some. It is the reason, aside from my work which is sensitive, I stay away from social media.

I am, therefore, determined to get back, permanently this time, to what I love more than anything else, which is reviewing music. It is a pleasure, and not stressful, and without wanting to bore all senseless with my personal issues (which are now very much better thanks to a good break and a loving family), I have resolved to avoid all unnecessary stress.

There. Personal diatribe over. Thanks for the kind comments. Loads more reviews to come, and thank you to those who sent me messages in my absence. They are very much appreciated.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2021 at 13:47
I really like the Frost* - Day and Age review you did Lazland. I'd give it 5 stars though lol.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2021 at 15:13
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

I really like the Frost* - Day and Age review you did Lazland. I'd give it 5 stars though lol.

Why, thank you Chris.

Then you must put in your own 5 star review. The more people who do so, the more meaningful the ratings are.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2021 at 07:21

Yes is indeed. Having been made to feel as old as dirt with Brandon's references to the unwashed masses hailing Steely Dan's Aja as being both Yacht Rock and Boomer music, in his excellent review, I was soothed by the return of Lazland with excellent reviews of two albums right up my ally, the new ones by Big Big Train and Frost*. You see, there is a cure for aging, even if it's only in the mind.

ClapLOL
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2021 at 07:23
Though not a "review", just wanted to give a shout out to the much revered John Davie (MellotronStorm) for his recent polls of(CKLW?) "Top 30"s of his favorite RPI and Canterbury albums. Any "Top album" of John's is, in my humble opinion, always worth checking out! 

Edited by BrufordFreak - August 24 2021 at 05:57
Drew Fisher
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2021 at 04:16
A great round of reviews this morning by the usual suspects: BrufordFreak, Rivertree, VianaProghead, and A Crimson Mellotron. Clap  It is also nice to see Prog Traveler doing a few on albums released in this century.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2021 at 20:06

lol, I completely missed this conversation from earlier LOL

That's kinda the funny thing about Steely Dan though. I'm only 26, so I didn't live to see their initial run, but it's interesting how they're viewed retrospectively. The reason I avoided them for so long was because of people telling me they were just some "stupid Dad-rock band from the 70s"... and that's the reason I included the 2001 Grammys in my review, because I think that moment created a negative perception within more modern listeners. Of course, once I actually explored the whole Steely Dan catalogue (starting with the amazing "Your Gold Teeth II"), I realized just how much amazing music I was missing out on. Luckily, I grew up with classic rock and 70s prog, so I've always been able to explore both old and new music on an equal playing field. I feel like a lot of younger people nowadays weren't brought up in that way, sadly.

Then again, it looks like rock is slowly seeping back into the Billboard charts again these days... so who knows? Maybe there will eventually be a turning point.

Edited by Necrotica - September 02 2021 at 20:08
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 05:57
Great review by Warthur on Fish's Internal Exile, from 1991, by hitting on all key aspects of the album, from EMI delaying it's release, it's 80s style production and it's musical direction that mostly mixed main stream rock with Celtic influences, albeit, unsuccessfully. A very enjoyable and enlightening read.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2021 at 06:38
I loved seeing Saśl URUK_HAI's string of reviews of early Gentle Giant albums this morning! It's kind of fun to read a reviewer's opinions of a collection of a single band's discography all at once--on one page--and his added inclusion of the place that each of the GG albums occupies on his list of all-time albums makes me want to see that list!

Drew Fisher
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2021 at 09:46
I really enjoyed SillyPuppy's two reviews on the latest output from the almost unclassifiable extreme tech/death metal ensemble that call themselves QRIXUOUR, a name I can't even pronounce (cu-riks-ku-are?). Two very enjoyable and meaty reviews.

Edited by SteveG - October 06 2021 at 09:50
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2021 at 06:28
A big tip of the hat today to UMUR, VianaProghead, Urak Hai, Prog Traveler, and Andrea. All were excellent reviews of new and older artists. Clap
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2021 at 08:13
Oops! Left out JamesBaldwin. Nice one on Birds Of Fire James.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2021 at 11:30

Oops! Left out JamesBaldwin. Nice one on Birds Of Fire James.

Happy to read these words!
"Happiness is real only when shared"
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2021 at 05:43
Another great round of reviews of new and older prog today from Kempokid, Prog Traveler, James Baldwin, Matti, tszirmay and Mellotron Storm! All were excellent!  Thumbs Up

Edited by SteveG - October 28 2021 at 05:45
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timothy leary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2021 at 13:34
Nice Agusa review Moshkito

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2021 at 14:51
Mirakaze's review of Owane Yolo EP Vol. 1 is noteworthy. Thank you! Owane needs more exposure. Superb musician.
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2022 at 14:19
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Two great reviews for the new black midi album by mental_hygeine and tempest_77! Cannot agree enough with everything you both have said, it's honestly pretty high on my all time album rankings. It's so phenomenal and album 3 is on the way!

I know this was posted last July but I only just saw this; the two of us live together, so thank you on behalf of both of us!
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2022 at 18:58
Excellent review of the new Crushing My Palms Between The Glass Shards You Gave Me album by DamoXt7942 Clap
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2022 at 08:52
Mirakaze's review of Wippy Bonstack's Dataland is amazing. One of the best albums I've heard in a long time. Crazy fun. We need more reviews of newer artists and Mira is leading the way!! 

Wippy is a serious multi-instrumentalist, influences of Keneally and Bubblemath. Love this album. Thanks so much, Mira.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - February 28 2022 at 08:52
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2022 at 10:44
A wonderful bevy of reviews from the venerable nick_h_nz, which are always a pleasure to read, but I must admit that I had to read them in chapters! They are a bit long but worth the effort. Nice job Nick and I'll be revisiting them over the next few days and give some better opinions of such diverse albums in future. (I hope you got reviewing out of your system with these. Wink)

And now we come to lazland's review of the new Marillion. It would be remis to have a new Marillion album without one, much like having Christmas without Santa. Nice review Steve, and a pleasure to read, as always. Love the little snippets of info into the songs on this one, as well as insights onto the last album FEAR. Bravo.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>