Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slartibartfast's Review Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2022 at 12:48
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

A wonderful bevy of reviews from the venerable nick_h_nz, which are always a pleasure to read, but I must admit that I had to read them in chapters! They are a bit long but worth the effort. Nice job Nick and I'll be revisiting them over the next few days and give some better opinions of such diverse albums in future. (I hope you got reviewing out of your system with these. Wink)

And now we come to lazland's review of the new Marillion. It would be remis to have a new Marillion album without one, much like having Christmas without Santa. Nice review Steve, and a pleasure to read, as always. Love the little snippets of info into the songs on this one, as well as insights onto the last album FEAR. Bravo.

Thanks, and my apologies for spamming the front page. I just realised that I had not really transferred many of my reviews lately. I am aware of how long my reviews are. On TPA they are broken up by YouTube videos, where here they just appear as one big solid block of text. It always surprised me anyone reads them here, so it’s always nice to know someone has.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2022 at 13:53

A wonderful bevy of reviews from the venerable nick_h_nz, which are always a pleasure to read, but I must admit that I had to read them in chapters! They are a bit long but worth the effort. Nice job Nick and I'll be revisiting them over the next few days and give some better opinions of such diverse albums in future. (I hope you got reviewing out of your system with these. Wink)

And now we come to lazland's review of the new Marillion. It would be remis to have a new Marillion album without one, much like having Christmas without Santa. Nice review Steve, and a pleasure to read, as always. Love the little snippets of info into the songs on this one, as well as insights onto the last album FEAR. Bravo.

Thank you,Steve.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2022 at 14:26
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Thanks, and my apologies for spamming the front page. I just realised that I had not really transferred many of my reviews lately. I am aware of how long my reviews are. On TPA they are broken up by YouTube videos, where here they just appear as one big solid block of text. It always surprised me anyone reads them here, so it’s always nice to know someone has.

I know you post first on TPA over time before posting here, so I was having a bit of fun. Yes, some like me do read the reviews. I think we get caught up in many of the auxiliary topics and threads in PA that we sometimes forget that the reviews are the most important thing here. Music, for me, always supersedes all other concerns here. I also realize the passion and effort that one puts into writing a good review, if I agree with it or not. So, I always try to pass on some kind words when I can.

Edited by SteveG - March 21 2022 at 05:11
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2022 at 04:53
Really enjoyed Phipz-97's review of Out in the Dark by Flame Dream. I haven't even listened to them before, but the Allan Holdsworth and Steve Hackett comparisons caught my interest Smile

Edited by Necrotica - April 15 2022 at 04:54
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2022 at 02:33
I think I've never before written in this thread although very often, almost in a daily basis, the front page has great and useful reviews worth thanking for. 

Especially on Sundays I'm often impressed by Kev Rowland's set of reviews. Clap

I also wish to thank and encourage my countryman Mortte for his reviews for the previously unreviewed items (that's what I appreciate from anyone). For example the US band Spires That In The Sunset Rise, or Wigwam singles, or the Colosseum album like today. Keep on writing reviews!
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2022 at 04:39
Originally posted by Matti Matti wrote:

I think I've never before written in this thread although very often, almost in a daily basis, the front page has great and useful reviews worth thanking for. 

Especially on Sundays I'm often impressed by Kev Rowland's set of reviews. Clap

I also wish to thank and encourage my countryman Mortte for his reviews for the previously unreviewed items (that's what I appreciate from anyone). For example the US band Spires That In The Sunset Rise, or Wigwam singles, or the Colosseum album like today. Keep on writing reviews!

Yes! I completely agree that this thread needs to be used more; it's been a lot more dormant these days, but there are still so many good reviews on the front page that deserve a mention Big smile

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2022 at 04:55
Gotsta throw out a big "WOW! Thank you, Man!" for DangHeck's review of Steve Vai's Inviolate. Crazy funny! Definitely got me wanting to hear that dang record! Awesome. Just what we need round here: entertainment!

Edited by BrufordFreak - April 27 2022 at 04:55
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2022 at 05:00
Big thanks to Warthur for the post Morse Spock's Beard album reviews, as they get short shrift here. Very enjoyable.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 07:53

WJA-K - Review by Lazland

2 stars Let's be real here. This review is non-essential.

I can imagine that many WJA-K fans welcome this new review. I guess when you are a fan, you are happy with every quality output coming from him/her/they/them.

But I look at it in a different way. So here is my personal opinion. As a prog fan, I love reviews that push the envelope or surprise me in a positive way. I don't get it here. Nothing on the review feels new or fresh. I feel I have read it all before. Often better. The opinions are rather straightforward. Hardly any ebbs and flows. And, quite frankly, I'm not impressed by WJA-K's notes at all.

It is so boring, it annoys me. I rate it fans-only material. 2 stars.

Now. that's more like it Wink

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 08:37
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I can imagine that many WJA-K fans welcome this new review. I guess when you are a fan, you are happy with every quality output coming from him/her/they/them.

But I look at it in a different way. So here is my personal opinion. As a prog fan, I love reviews that push the envelope or surprise me in a positive way. I don't get it here. Nothing on the review feels new or fresh. I feel I have read it all before. Often better. The opinions are rather straightforward. Hardly any ebbs and flows. And, quite frankly, I'm not impressed by WJA-K's notes at all.

😱OMG! Great minds, and all! I came here to do exactly what you’ve just done. I came onto the site, and saw this latest review, and as I was reading it I was tickled by just how perfectly it describes the reviewer’s own reviews.

I actually find his reviews quite amusing, because no matter whether he praises or criticises albums, he does so in such a boring and predictable manner, that brings nothing new to the table. Non-essential, indeed.

Well played, Steve. Well played! 👍🏻👏🏻👏🏻

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 08:53

😱OMG! Great minds, and all! I came here to do exactly what you’ve just done. I came onto the site, and saw this latest review, and as I was reading it I was tickled by just how perfectly it describes the reviewer’s own reviews.

I actually find his reviews quite amusing, because no matter whether he praises or criticises albums, he does so in such a boring and predictable manner, that brings nothing new to the table. Non-essential, indeed.

Great minds, eh? LOL
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 08:57

Great minds, eh? LOL

You guys are funny.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 09:41
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Great minds, eh? LOL

You guys are funny.

We try our best! LOL

By the way, Drew, I like your blog which is bookmarked. Some great detail and reviews.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2022 at 15:38

I just like how he goes into literally no detail about why the album is predictable or doesn't push the envelope. Not gonna lie, to me it's reminiscent of the old mid-2000s reviews on the site LOL

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2022 at 08:05
Thanks to Mike for the interesting Ghost Toast review, particularly for comparing the band with PT. I found that really interesting, as that is a band I’ve never been particularly though or at all, in regard to GT’s music. It’s truly odd how differently we all hear things. I would never have made the connection Mike has, and I like I need to listen again to hear what he is hearing.

Down on the Upstair is one of my absolute favourite PT albums, though, so that Mike makes comparisons with that era of PT may well explain why I enjoy GT’s music.

Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2022 at 08:25
Dapper~Blueberries recent review of black midi's new album Hellfire. I couldn't have put it any batter than this myself. And it's a great 5* album for me too. Coincidental, as when I read the review I was watching the black midi set at Glastonbury - cool. Smile

Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 06:16
I enjoyed Luca's (octopus-4) down to earth and common sense review of The Endless River this morning along with some good viking prog from A Crimson Mellotron. Very enjoyable.

Edited by SteveG - August 18 2022 at 06:18
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2022 at 09:07
A Crimson Mellotron has been knocking them out with many reviews of new prog albums! All were enjoyable!
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2022 at 15:22
Enjoying the new Mars Volta release! Check out the great review from Dapper~Blueberries if you're interested. Wink
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2023 at 13:25
This review is really funny. I especially like this quote:
Quote Add to the disgusting grotesque lyrics a drummer who can't keep time and who overcompensates by banging his fists into the drum kit like a bad Hollywood movie score, horrendously screeching tone deaf vocals, and useless screwing around on the keyboards and guitars in a blatantly awful imitiation of Genesis
Pretty hilarious analogies IMO. I really enjoyed reading that to be honest. I really don't mind the fact I don't agree with the reviewer's statements.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>