Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slartibartfast's Review Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2021 at 14:03
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

The 2 reviews of black midi's Cavalcade from siLLy puPPy and dougmcauliffe certainly give this stunning album its due. I can't see a better album, that's had the effect on me that this one has, being released this year. Top marks guys, I wish I could extol the virtues of this album as well as you.

My sentiments, exactly!

Mega Kudos and Felicitations, Mike and Doug!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2021 at 05:44
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

The 2 reviews of black midi's Cavalcade from siLLy puPPy and dougmcauliffe certainly give this stunning album its due. I can't see a better album, that's had the effect on me that this one has, being released this year. Top marks guys, I wish I could extol the virtues of this album as well as you.

My sentiments, exactly!

Mega Kudos and Felicitations, Mike and Doug!

A lot of buzz about this album. They seem like the next big thing, after Wobbler.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2021 at 11:08
Thanks guys! What really blows me away about this album is that they're all around 21 years old and they sound as tight and talented as they do.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2021 at 11:49
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Thanks guys! What really blows me away about this album is that they're all around 21 years old and they sound as tight and talented as they do.
I like the few songs I've heard so far. I'm looking forward to hearing the whole album.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 00:26
TCat's Current 93 review is great! Haven't listened to that band in a long time... I'll have to get back to their work pretty soon
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2021 at 05:15

Like a reincarnation of Egg, 50 years later!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 08:26
Wow! A really nice down to earth review on Black midi's Cavalcade from Kempokid, that focuses on the good and not so good in great detail, including the sonics. Excellent! Clap

Edited by SteveG - June 04 2021 at 08:26
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 09:17

Deleted.

Edited by SteveG - June 04 2021 at 12:19
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 09:20

Thanks! My theory is that there are simply those who love this album and those who haven't fallen in love with it yet. I find it to be one of the most exciting and innovative developments in prog at the moment. Putting the progressive back in prog Big smile

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2021 at 09:21
Also i thought this was an appreciation thread for Slartibartfast. Just discovered that this is a continuation of the review appreciation thread LOL

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2021 at 06:18
It's nice to see Prog Traveler finally get off of "prog's greatest hits" and tackle Norwegian prog. Keep it up. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2021 at 08:47
Great review of the new Sylvan album from FredStock! Good on you for making an effort to explore modern prog!
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2021 at 02:21
I enjoyed the two reviews for Beautiful Bedlam from the Puppy and the Cat - especially the latter, which has convinced me that I need to give this album a listen.

There have been quite a few neat reviews recently, including for some albums I’m not fond of, but which have made me think about them regardless.

[EDIT] Appreciation also for Matti with a review of another fine Jazz-Liisa release. I love the way Svart has been making these lost treasures available to all, and Matti has given a fine write-up for this one.

Edited by nick_h_nz - June 15 2021 at 04:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2021 at 15:40
Great review by Koresea of Triana's somewhat obscure masterpiece: El Patio. When I first heard this record I couldn't believe it wasn't held as an absolute classic of 70s prog. This album mixes Symphonic prog with Andalusian Rock hitting an incredible sweet spot between the two. The production is so crisp and the performances have so much conviction within them. Well done, hope at least one person decided to check the album out as a result of seeing that review!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 04:20
A nice review from dougmcauliffe on the new one from Styx. As a long time band detractor (AOR sux), that's saying a lot.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 05:53
Thanks dude! Even though I’ve reviewed albums I love a lot more from other acts, I think of all my reviews thus far, I had the most fun with writing that one and running down the brief career history of the band.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2021 at 06:59

Thanks dude! Even though I’ve reviewed albums I love a lot more from other acts, I think of all my reviews thus far, I had the most fun with writing that one and running down the brief career history of the band.
It's easy to see that you put a lot of time and effort into that, and that made it an extra good read.

Edited by SteveG - June 24 2021 at 09:27
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 04:13
Good reviews today from SillyPuppy on albums form the ultra atmospheric Portal and the almost invisible Rainbow album from 1995.

Edited by SteveG - June 25 2021 at 04:15
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 06:58
^ thanks Steve! Yeah that Rainbow album was off my radar until i found a copy and then was amazed how good it was! Portal? Hmmm, don't think most will like it in these parts :D

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2021 at 09:42
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ thanks Steve! Yeah that Rainbow album was off my radar until i found a copy and then was amazed how good it was! Portal? Hmmm, don't think most will like it in these parts :D
Yeah, they're definitely an acquired taste. My favorite kind of prog.  Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>