Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [50.00%]
14 [38.89%]
4 [11.11%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dream Theater - Awake or Scenes From a Memory
    Posted: January 15 2021 at 07:19
On the Prog Archives main site, SFaM is the clear winner with the ratings it has received, moreover it is on top among all the progressive metal albums, so far.

But I wonder what my fellow forumers think. 

I didn't put Images and Words, because its rating is also very high in here. I also didn't put the "both" option, because I wanted to see which one is for you to choose if you have to make a decision.

I think Awake is the better album, even though I love SFaM immensely too.

What about you?

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 15 2021 at 07:25
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 07:21
Scenes from a Memory (DVD version)
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 07:32
I’m not a great fan of Scenes. I love Awake, though. No contest for me at all.

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 07:33
Awake for me, such an incredible and unique record. Kevin Moore really shines on it, super dark tone to the record, and not a second wasted start to finish. A Mind Beside Itself (especially erotomania), Scarred, The Mirror, Lifting Shadows and 6:00 are my favorites.

While Awake is a top 20 album ever for me, I think SFAM is slightly overrated, even though I acknowledge its a classic and iconic album. For me there's a noticeable quality drop off after the song Home. The opening with Overture and Strange Deja Vu is incredible however, gets me so amped up. But yeah Dance of Eternity gets old fast, and the rest is just not up to par with the first half and change of the record. 

So Awake is taking it for me, I could gush about that album all day, brilliant production, every member sounds absolutely essential to every track.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 07:37
'Awake' has to be my favorite DT album, so easy one for me!
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 08:03
I really love both albums. They're two of my favourite albums ever. However, I think I still prefer Scenes From A Memory. I saw the entire performance of Scenes in the last world tour of the band, and I still keep be amazed with that album, even after so many years have gone.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 08:27
Scenes for me
Prog On!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 09:21
Awake by far
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 11:36
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Awake for me, such an incredible and unique record. Kevin Moore really shines on it, super dark tone to the record, and not a second wasted start to finish. A Mind Beside Itself (especially erotomania), Scarred, The Mirror, Lifting Shadows and 6:00 are my favorites.

While Awake is a top 20 album ever for me, I think SFAM is slightly overrated, even though I acknowledge its a classic and iconic album. For me there's a noticeable quality drop off after the song Home. The opening with Overture and Strange Deja Vu is incredible however, gets me so amped up. But yeah Dance of Eternity gets old fast, and the rest is just not up to par with the first half and change of the record. 

So Awake is taking it for me, I could gush about that album all day, brilliant production, every member sounds absolutely essential to every track.
We're on the same wavelength today.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 11:44
I find I am often on the same wavelength as Doug. I would say about 90 per cent of the time, I agree with his opinions. He’s one of a few people here whose posts I always pay attention to. 👍🏻

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 11:48
Two superb albums and I love both albums but, there’s always a but. Awake is a personal favourite because of personal issues...
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 11:54
3 "neither"votes
I wonder who voted there. Stern Smile
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 12:11
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

3 "neither"votes

Not me... @Psychedelic Paul Didn’t I think
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 12:25
It's really tough for me. Scenes is a work of art, even if you don't follow the story much but all the songs flow really nice, Home being a highlight for me.

Awake is not in the same vein meaning its not a concept pc 100%, so I can look at them differently and vote each at the top. But due to Kevin Moore's awesome performance and writing Awake for me.

I hate it for Rudess as on all his performances all I hear is keys/synth wonking and it bugs me, sometime to no end.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 12:35
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

3 "neither"votes

Not me... @Psychedelic Paul Didn’t I think

Not me either. I already voted for Scenes from a Memory. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 12:56
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

We're on the same wavelength today.

Handshake Hell yeah! Beer
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 12:57
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I find I am often on the same wavelength as Doug. I would say about 90 per cent of the time, I agree with his opinions. He’s one of a few people here whose posts I always pay attention to. 👍🏻

Funny you say that, i've noticed the same with effect with much of what you have to say! Thanks for the kind words Smile
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 14:13
"Awake" by miles, my fav dream theater album.

Post Kevin Moore lost interest in the band
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 14:36
option 2 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 16:09
Awake!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>