Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

genesis ( abacab )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: genesis ( abacab )
    Posted: January 15 2021 at 08:59
The heavy opening track a pulsing song ABACAB finds genesis in fine form .ME AND AND SARAH JANE good lyrics so so song .DODO and LURKER good proggy epic sounding tracks good keyboard work from tony banks.The best song on the record is KEEP IT DARK .Three blah for me were NO REPLY AT ALL , WHODUNNIT and ANOTHER RECORD overall good but not great genesis
Thanks for taking the time to read my review grant
3 out of 5 stars
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2021 at 09:09
3 stars is about right for me too, at a push.

A few gems but a fair amount of trash too.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 11:26
A mixed bag with some great stuff and stuff that would've been better as unreleased stuff for a future fans-only box set. Me and Sarah Jane, Keep It Dark, and Dodo/Lurker were great. The rest of side B was like falling off a cliff. Oddly enough, Who Dunnit? doesn't bother me as much as one might expect.

What would have made this better? Extending the title track out like the way they performed it live and replacing that bass line during the vocal parts with something more interesting. Attaching the Naminamu and Submarine tracks to Dodo/Lurker. These extensions alone could have bumped out many of the weaker tracks.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 11:55
I was listening to this album yesterday actually. I was surprised at how much I liked "like it or not." For some reason it jumped out at me where as before I thought it was one of the weaker tracks on the album. Abacab(the title track)is maybe one of the most underrated tracks they have done. Over all, it's an interesting album. I'm not sure how I would rate it though. I guess 3.5 stars.

Also, I think the first half of "who dunnit" is ok. However, at some point it becomes redundant and just gets a bit silly. I do think submarine or some other song should have taken it's place on the album though.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 16 2021 at 11:59
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 02:02
Secretly a favorite; I love the production and title track.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 20:01
So far, the album I have liked least from them. Besides Dodo/Lurker I don't really find anything else to enjoy.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 21:26
The title track is great once you get to the instrumental portion.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 01:13
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

The title track is great once you get to the instrumental portion.

It's definitely pretty good live.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 01:30
I love Genesis' pop stuff. To me, Abacab is the first record where Phil and the guys get up the nerve to step out of their prog comfort zone and try out new sounds and snappier songs. It pays off brilliantly, as well as showing their collective knack for being weird. Keep It Dark? Dodo/Lurker? Man On The Corner? Me And Sarah Jane? Heck even the title track is really quite unusual. The only duds here are the less than exciting Another Record (though I appreciate the thought of having that message at the end of the LP) and the perhaps misguided, but eye-roll smile inducing Who Dunnit. 

But hey, I think the next one is a top 5 Genesis album, so what do I know, lol.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 16:26
Still my favorite Genesis album - flawless!

I will admit this opinion is probably heavily influenced by the fact that Abacab was also my first ever Genesis album!
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ruby900 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 16:35
Love the title track, but not a lot else. 
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 12:00
What's good on it is really, really good, but what's not is really forgettable. 3 stars sounds about right.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 13:13
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

What's good on it is really, really good, but what's not is really forgettable. 3 stars sounds about right.

Agreed
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 13:31
Regular album, dont age well 2 1/2 stars
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 13:55
Good album, does age quite well, 3 1/2 stars...
I even like Whodunnit, and I actually wish that more prog bands would take themselves a bit less serious and have the guts to produce some lighter or even humorous stuff...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 23:10
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Succinctly stated Clap!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 23:46
From a prog perspective I think the title track is one of the most underrated things they have done. Dodo/lurker would be not too far behind it in that regard. I think just about any prog attempts they made after Steve Hackett left is underrated though (at least among prog fans).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 22 2021 at 23:46
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2021 at 04:49
Keep It Dark is one of my favourite Genesis songs and so for that alone I'm prepared to cut this album some slack. Yes as mentioned its a bit of a mess and very uneven , perhaps an EP at 20 minutes would have been the best option. Not convinced that the extended version of Dodo/Lurker would have helped although it would have been nice to have it on the deluxe release. Overall one of those albums that is not as bad as it's reputation. Perhaps add Love Beach and The Big Generator to make a trio Wink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 01:19
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

I will admit this opinion is probably heavily influenced by the fact that Abacab was also my first ever Genesis album!

As is my opinion of And then there were Three, as it was my first first Genesis album.

For a long time, I didn't understand why so many seemed to dislike it.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 01:23
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

LOL
first thing I heard from genesis were songs from their self titled album from 1983. Although I still love the Home by the Sea suite, it was never a favorite album. 

Abacab flawless?! What about Whodunnit? That's a facepalm moment I could never ignore. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>