Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

genesis ( abacab )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 01:32
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Keep It Dark is one of my favourite Genesis songs and so for that alone I'm prepared to cut this album some slack. Yes as mentioned its a bit of a mess and very uneven , perhaps an EP at 20 minutes would have been the best option. Not convinced that the extended version of Dodo/Lurker would have helped although it would have been nice to have it on the deluxe release. Overall one of those albums that is not as bad as it's reputation. Perhaps add Love Beach and The Big Generator to make a trio Wink

Other than the title track, Keep it Dark is the gem of said album, totally agree!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 15:43
Sorry,I didnt like the album when I bought it on release and I have little love for it now.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 18:41
Originally posted by Earl of Mar Earl of Mar wrote:

Sorry,I didnt like the album when I bought it on release and I have little love for it now.

This!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 21:00
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

I love Genesis' pop stuff. To me, Abacab is the first record where Phil and the guys get up the nerve to step out of their prog comfort zone and try out new sounds and snappier songs. It pays off brilliantly, as well as showing their collective knack for being weird. Keep It Dark? Dodo/Lurker? Man On The Corner? Me And Sarah Jane? Heck even the title track is really quite unusual. The only duds here are the less than exciting Another Record (though I appreciate the thought of having that message at the end of the LP) and the perhaps misguided, but eye-roll smile inducing Who Dunnit. 

But hey, I think the next one is a top 5 Genesis album, so what do I know, lol.

Even though I do enjoy their pop stuff very much indeed, not this album, which I found rather forgettable. There are some other songs from that era that I love, and as far as an album goes, for me it would be Invisible Touch.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2021 at 02:39
I was musing on this and thinking its probably the only real Genesis 'experimental album'. They were in a strange moment and knew they wanted to do something different but didn't know what. It's very much throwing out the old formula and replacing it with something more punchier and 'cleaner' sounding. It was not well received by anyone generally but by about 1983 they had enough money and they stopped really caring about musical innovation and bothering much what people thought I believe.

Edited by richardh - February 07 2021 at 02:41
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2021 at 04:17
2 Stars for me.

Best song of the album is Man On The Corner. Abacab is also good, but the live version of that song is a lot, lot better, the studio version feels a lot unfinished. Dodo/Lurker would have worked well if they kept Submarine as the third part of the album.The rest is pretty bad, except Me and Sarah Jones, but I hate any Genesis songs with that kind of horns, and the other tracks are way too average.

A lot of the Outtakes from the album are really good, though.

Edited by Deadwing - February 07 2021 at 04:19
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2021 at 09:33
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I was musing on this and thinking its probably the only real Genesis 'experimental album'. They were in a strange moment and knew they wanted to do something different but didn't know what. It's very much throwing out the old formula and replacing it with something more punchier and 'cleaner' sounding. It was not well received by anyone generally but by about 1983 they had enough money and they stopped really caring about musical innovation and bothering much what people thought I believe.

Agreed on the "experimental album" label.

Certain songs on Abacab are the closest Genesis ever came to sounding like King Crimson (Discipline/Beat/Perfect Pair era), yet even then only just slightly.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12