Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's the best King Crimson live album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tasartir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 06:54
If you like their 80s stuff (like I do) then Absent Lovers is for you!

Their Chicago one also kicks serious butt. Problem with Radical Action is that you only get the instruments, not the crowd, so it does end up feeling like these are studio renditions (which is a feat on its own, but a different ballgame in terms of so called live albums).
...Histoires Sans Paroles...
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 07:03
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

'The Night Watch', 'Radical Action...' and 'THRAkaTTacK' are my top three!

Same for me; would probably put Radical Action first since it covers all KC periods.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
progtime1234567 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progtime1234567 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 08:05
Any of them besides Earthbound. That album is just impossible to listen to.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 08:41
Fripp says that "the moment" matters and is not to be repeated, then releases a hundred live shows at 10-20 bucks a pop......sheeesh.  Still, I'm glad the old crank dug up those tapes of the band from Oct '72 thru May '73 - it was by far the least represented of the incarnations from inception to '74.  Has anyone heard the Nov '72 show from Hull?
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 08:58
I thought it was just a little too hyper-philosophical for me at the time.

Do you mean this one, Hull Technical College November 13 1972?
Audience recording, part of the Larks Tongue In Aspic 2012 Box set.
Recording is fair, performance is very good. Not sure I'd classify it as a must have.

Check out the March 12 1972 Live at Summit Studios Denver set if you can. Excellent on all fronts.

Edited by JD - January 17 2021 at 09:05
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 10:13
Deceiver...Nightwatch,,,RA,,,Chicago......
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 04:17
This thread reminded me of how much good KC live stuff there is to enjoy.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 06:08
"Night Watch", "Deceiver", then all the rest.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 08:42
For the Wetton era Crimson, I always had a soft spot for USA, because it was the hostorical reference. Of course Nightwatch and Great Deceiver are better-sounding, but let's face it, Asbury Park is the best Wetton-era improv they've done.

Originally posted by progtime1234567 progtime1234567 wrote:

Any of them besides Earthbound. That album is just impossible to listen to.

Not that much anymore. I've grown to almost like it.

you should try the 40th anniv with the expanded extra tracks as bonus and the bonus second discs with the Denver Summit Studio Radio Broadcast. The original tracks on the album are now listenable. The good thing about Burrell-era Crimson's Earthbound is that the band was at its most improvisational. But of course, you'll find better-sounding stuff in the KCCC shelves.

I've got Absent Lovers from the Levin-era (it's the main one, if not the only one) and is just OK

As for 90's and 00's Crimson, I don't have a favorite.

As for the recent years, I quite prefer Orpheum to Toronto's double discs thingie, but Radical Action and the Chicago thingies are quite good.

Edited by Sean Trane - January 18 2021 at 08:42
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 11:36
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

For the Wetton era Crimson, I always had a soft spot for USA, because it was the hostorical reference. Of course Nightwatch and Great Deceiver are better-sounding, but let's face it, Asbury Park is the best Wetton-era improv they've done.

Thanks, I forgot how often I used to listen to USA in college!!  Agreed, a very fine LP with sublime performances.  Great cover art also! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 06:29
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

As for the recent years, I quite prefer Orpheum to Toronto's double discs thingie, but Radical Action and the Chicago thingies are quite good.

Interesting... I didn't want to buy both of these because, on paper, the seemed too similar to me. Probably based on reviews I finally bought the Toronto live (and I find it quite good, indeed), so just out of curiosity: why do you prefer the Orpheum live (I never listened to this one myself)?

Edited by suitkees - January 19 2021 at 06:30

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2024 at 16:07
Since I'm listening to 'Music is Our Friend' (which is fantastic), would this take anyone's favorite now?

Note: I'm only recently getting I to KC's live stuff after the announcement of the BEAT tour, and there's a LOT.

Edited by Frets N Worries - April 07 2024 at 16:08
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2024 at 16:36
Night Watch is my favourite, but many others are almost as good.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2024 at 17:43

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2024 at 18:37
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

But my pride and joy is a bootleg I did of Robert Fripp performing his Frippertronics and doing a combo lecture Q&A at The University of Toronto. He mentioned multiple times his dislike for bootleg recordings and I felt like such a naughty boy for doing it, but it turned out great and was for sure a one off performance.

Hi,

Considering how many live shows RF/KC have, it is a wonder that one bootleg made it through, however, I often wonder how some of these folks end up releasing one show and not another, and it is weird to me that RF apparently does not like/enjoy what's left of his early Frippertonics show, which he likely thinks have "too many mistakes" ... when in the end, the mistakes are what makes the whole thing great.

I understand his wanting to be "perfect" and "right" on all things KC, but seeing this on his individual shows is a bit strange ... what's he playing for, anyway? I understand his request, even at KC shows to simply enjoy the show, but in this modern age, memories are not made with closed eyes at a concert ... they are made with ears on a recording ... even if it wasn't something the artist released at all ... 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2024 at 22:46

This is the best one.
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2024 at 03:41
USA : Full version (double CD) The Asbury Park Improv is awesome
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2024 at 03:57
I want to get the best live recordings/DVDs from each incarnation of KC. I don't have any Poseiden, Lizard, or Island Live-era material yet.Tongue  

Any suggestions? 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 08 2024 at 03:59
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2024 at 04:02
SaBB
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2024 at 09:03
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

This is the best one. (Live in Tokyo)

Hi,

Very nice and enjoyed that a lot ...

When comparing this to the 3 (more recent) version with 3 drummers, this is a vastly superior concert.

The big unit with the drummers was outstanding, but it was almost "mechanical" in comparison to what is here on this concert, and I think that BB and Adrian Belew were the difference. There were moments when they were out experimenting and adding things that made it all better ... as opposed to the more recent version where there is no room for free lancing, and seeing it here is  exceptional ... and much better from a live perspective.

The recent version felt more like a classical music concert .. .tight as heck, and mechanical ... as opposed to seeing this earlier version which showed what rock music can do and how ... turn them loose! And it was neat.

Thx for posting ... this was far out.

Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I want to get the best live recordings/DVDs from each incarnation of KC. I don't have any Poseiden, Lizard, or Island Live-era material yet.Tongue  

There are subtleties that are seen in all of these live shows, and they demonstrate something very different each time. By 21st century standards, the 3 drummer version is better, because it generates more power and boiling sound ... which is what many bands these days do, loud, louder and noisy ... and the power drumming making it look better than it really is. Of this modern version the only drummer I do not exactly care for was Gavin Harrison, who for my tastes was too mechanical ... which might make it easier for RF that could have wanted things to be nice and tight ... and Gavin added that, but I thought it worked in some things, and not in others. For example, in softer material, I thought Gavin was very weak as he does not have the "touch" and "feel" that the other 2 drummers had, something which came from Bill Bruford and his amazing ability to add bits and pieces all the time, something which might have bothered RF some, since it was unexpected and made him aware of it, which takes a wee bit from his concentration on his own guitar playing, which is not easy stuff ... you don't go around teaching that to anyone at all! It's not a riff on a hit song, meaning less within the structure of the piece.

As an example, listen to Rachel Flowers doing Starless, and she accentuates the little touches that the various mixes of KC have left behind, and the little touches that BB adds are far out ... and they can not exactly be heard on any of the other KC mixes. 

I have not heard a lot of the shows from the earlier days with the original line up ... and I think I remember looking for some shows with Greg Lake and I am not sure that I found many ... though some clips from somewhere or other. My guess is that while their 1st album exploded (not immediately btw), in the end it took a bit before folks came around to appreciate it ... in Madison, WI one DJ, said that RF was doing a cheap JImi Hendrix impression and that the big piece (Schizoid Man) was just a loud bruhaha about nothing. I don't think any of us think or see that at all, today.

The majority of bootlegs from KC, that I remember started with Bill Bruford ... for some reason, I think he helped upgrade the status of the band some, and it might not have been taken as seriously before ... but I have to find the write ups from those early days to verify that ... 

My take is that the three drummer version is more what RF has wanted for KC ... very tight and well played classical music like material ... giving rock music a new meaning for what it can do, something that a lot of bands are too lazy to ... as an excuse for their inability to play better and tighter.

Edited by moshkito - April 08 2024 at 09:23
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>