Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [57.89%]
5 [26.32%]
3 [15.79%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kind of Blue Sketches of Jack Johnson
    Posted: January 16 2021 at 02:04
Inspired by the other Miles Davis poll thread.

Which record do you prefer?

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 02:31
Well I haven't listened to Jack Johnson yet, but in the meantime I'm going to take the time to vote for Sketches Of Spain because it's a surreal, otherworldly, spiritual gem of a record greatly outshined by the much less interesting Kind Of Blue (which is a great album, just not that interesting).
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 02:39
Jack Johnson is next level, there are licks all over the place. There's an absolutely masterful math rock riff by McLaughlin deep in the first track.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 02:51
I only know Kind of Blue, and it's the only original Miles Davis album I have on CD, so I'm Kind of voting for it. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 02:54
I suggest getting a copy of Jack Johnson and throwing it on after your responsibilities are done for the day, perhaps on a Saturday evening, Paul! Cool

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 03:01
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

I suggest getting a copy of Jack Johnson and throwing it on after your responsibilities are done for the day, perhaps on a Saturday evening, Paul! Cool

Maybe I'll find time to listen to Jack Johnson when I've finally finished listening to Rick Wakeman's 100+ albums. Smile
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 03:56
JJ
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 04:05
they're not really comparable at all (and all three rank in my top 5 Miles, along with the two in the other poll.

Again, if Bitches was more of a Macero album, Sketches is more of a Gil Evans album with Miles as a star guest.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 04:19
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

they're not really comparable at all (and all three rank in my top 5 Miles, along with the two in the other poll.

Again, if Bitches was more of a Macero album, Sketches is more of a Gil Evans album with Miles as a star guest.

This is a fair assessment! Clap

BB is like a living, breathing, surrealist painting put to sound for me. Perhaps that's why I enjoy it. It appeals to my abstract nature lol. Macero had a LOT to do with that, as you said!

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 04:30

BB is like a living, breathing, surrealist painting put to sound for me. Perhaps that's why I enjoy it. It appeals to my abstract nature lol. Macero had a LOT to do with that, as you said!

To really undetwstand Macero's role in BB, one must listyen at the Complete BB sessions boxsets, to see what he worked from to build Bitches.

Just like in Sketches, Evans is the real mastermind of the album, with his great orchestrations and arrangements.  However I'm much less enthoused by the other Evans/Davis collaborations.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 04:42
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I only know Kind of Blue, and it's the only original Miles Davis album I have on CD, so I'm Kind of voting for it. Smile

I don’t really understand why you’d vote in this poll, if you know only the one album? I totally get it when people vote in the larger polls, even if they’ve not heard everything listed. If there is a list of, say, 12 albums and I’ve listened to half or more of those, then it kind of makes sense that I might feel able to vote (though I probably still wouldn’t), but when you’re choosing between only two or three albums, knowing only one seems to not be a good place to be voting from?

Despite its reputation (or perhaps because of it) I took some time before coming round to listening to Kind of Blue. I figured, rightly, that as good as it might (objectively) be, and as enjoyable as I might (subjectively) find it, there are other Davis albums I like far more. Of these three, I like Blue least.

Not that I’m suggesting you necessarily go for either of these two next, but if the only Davis album you have is Blue, I’d urge you to explore further. The range of sounds and styles over Davis’s long career is incredible. I’m not going to lie and say I like everything he has done, because there’s a lot that doesn’t do anything for me.

That said, for you, Blue might do, and I suspect it would still be your favourite even if you were familiar with all three of these. 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 04:52

To really undetwstand Macero's role in BB, one must listyen at the Complete BB sessions boxsets, to see what he worked from to build Bitches.

Just like in Sketches, Evans is the real mastermind of the album, with his great orchestrations and arrangements.  However I'm much less enthoused by the other Evans/Davis collaborations.

Agreed, and I definitely have said BB box set my friend!

dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 05:05
Kind Of Blue, one of the greatest straight up jazz albums ever released.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 05:31
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I don’t really understand why you’d vote in this poll, if you know only the one album? I totally get it when people vote in the larger polls, even if they’ve not heard everything listed. If there is a list of, say, 12 albums and I’ve listened to half or more of those, then it kind of makes sense that I might feel able to vote (though I probably still wouldn’t), but when you’re choosing between only two or three albums, knowing only one seems to not be a good place to be voting from?

Despite its reputation (or perhaps because of it) I took some time before coming round to listening to Kind of Blue. I figured, rightly, that as good as it might (objectively) be, and as enjoyable as I might (subjectively) find it, there are other Davis albums I like far more. Of these three, I like Blue least.

Not that I’m suggesting you necessarily go for either of these two next, but if the only Davis album you have is Blue, I’d urge you to explore further. The range of sounds and styles over Davis’s long career is incredible. I’m not going to lie and say I like everything he has done, because there’s a lot that doesn’t do anything for me.

That said, for you, Blue might do, and I suspect it would still be your favourite even if you were familiar with all three of these. 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes, I strongly suspect I'd still vote for Kind of Blue even if I'd heard all three albums in the poll. Smile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 05:54
I don't know Jack Johnson; I like Sketches of Spain quite a bit more than Kind of Blue (it's personal, not saying it's the better album in any objective sense).
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 06:27
Kind of Blue and Sketches. If you were to be talking about greatest jazz albums, these 2 would be in the mix.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 07:30

Inspired by the other Miles Davis poll thread.

Which record do you prefer?

3 must’ve Miles Davis albums imho as there isn’t a like all 3 than it’s Kind Of Blue
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 07:40
For me it's a tie between Kind of Blue and Sketches of Spain. I have many fond memories while listening to both albums in a row.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 01:31
Damn ya'll are some boring ass traditionalist! I bet you guys like Pink Floyd, too?! Wink

Just playing, folks! This is exactly what I predicted lol. I'm honestly surprised more people don't get into ATTJJ!

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 02:19

Damn ya'll are some boring ass traditionalist! I bet you guys like Pink Floyd, too?! Wink

Just playing, folks! This is exactly what I predicted lol. I'm honestly surprised more people don't get into ATTJJ!

Exactly what I predicted, too. I find it surprising, even though I expected it (as paradoxical as that might sound), because you’d think on a prog forum people would go for something more than bread and butter.

I don’t disagree with any of the comments above that Blue is one of the greatest jazz albums ever. But it is straight up jazz. It surprises me that so many people prefer straight up jazz to something with a little more bite and edge. I love Blue - don’t get me wrong, but most prog fans I know tolerate jazz, or don’t really like it at all, unless it’s a bit “progged up”.

It’s only because I had a friend at school who was really into jazz, and got me into it, that I can appreciate Blue beyond recognising its greatness. Thus, while I would expect most people to recognise it being a great album, and it’s importance, I wouldn’t necessarily expect that recognition to translate into liking it.

I wonder how many people know and/or like Miles beyond the obvious (and almost cliché) candidates? That’s not meant as a criticism, or to be condescending, so much as an observation. I would think a lot of people are like me, and have heard of Miles Davis (who hasn’t) and isn’t sure where to start. The obvious candidates are also the obvious places to start. The order I bought Miles Davis albums was:

1. Bitches Brew
2. Silent Way
3. Jack Johnson
4. Amandia
5. Aura

I’m honestly not sure how far down the line Blue was, but I stayed away from it initially - not because I thought I wouldn’t like it, but because I figured I would, and that I kind of knew how it would sound, so I wanted to explore other stuff first.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>