Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Prog Rock Singers - Top 30 Countdown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bucka001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Prog Rock Singers - Top 30 Countdown
    Posted: January 16 2021 at 05:07
jc
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 05:10
not bad, expected worse. Evil SmileLOL
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 05:45
I think the list is actually a fairly good one, if a little predictable, but not with the adjective greatest, or any similar superlative. A lot of the singers there are not great singers by any objective measure, but they are effective and memorable. The thing is you don’t have to be a great singer to make a great impact, and this is true across all music. Bono is hardly a great singer, for example, but despite whether you like or don’t like U2, most people would still agree he does a good job even if he doesn’t have great vocal ability.

I love a lot of Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson music, but I think he’s a particularly weak singer and that really comes across live. I found parts of Home Invasion (I think it was that one, anyway) almost painful to listen to. Without studio tweaking, live music always brings out any weaknesses in a singer - and if they have weaknesses, then as well as they work with the music, they cannot really be considered great singers.

Anyway, that’s probably just me opening up a can of worms.... 🍿🍿🍿

Tancos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tancos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 06:19
Not quite as lame as these things usually are. I even agree with the top two. It could have been much better, though — for instance, where's Bill Nelson? And Francesco di Giacomo, Aldo Tagliapietra or Jenny Wilhelms? And so on. I expect that anyone here can think of a dozen singers better than half of those on this list.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 06:35
I would have put Hammill at number one too. His career actually spans over 50 years, not just 40.

The saying "What Jimi Hendrix did for the guitar Peter Hammill did for the vocals" is actually from the autobiography of Robert Fripp.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 06:41
Prone to improvements, methinks. Not totally meh, but I doubt about ranking Hogarth over Fish and even more about ranking Collins over Gabriel. At least the author has the guts to put Peter Hammill on top of it, but the list should be somewhat longer ere I put Sonja Kristina on the bottom.

Edited by someone_else - January 16 2021 at 06:41
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 07:12
In spite of some interesting, rather unusual entries, this list is far from ideal (and this is an understatement). First of all, with the sole exception of Thijs van Leer (who sang in English anyway), there are no singers from outside the English-speaking world. Not mentioning Francesco di Giacomo or Demetrio Stratos (to name but two) renders this list incomplete to say the least. In terms of female vocalists, including Sally Oldfield and Maddy Prior, but not Sandy Denny or Jacqui McShee, is another oddity. Regarding "crossover" singers, I find both Roger Hodgson and Rick Davies of Supertramp would have deserved inclusion, as would have Bryan Ferry.

On the other hand, I am positively surprised by the inclusion of Richard Sinclair and Robert Wyatt (who in my personal list would be among the top 10), and also of Gary Brooker, Justin Hayward, Adrian Belew and Roger Chapman. As for the endless Collins/Gabriel debate, though I know my opinion is rather heretical, I feel Collins did a better job as a singer with Genesis than Gabriel did. The latter (always IMHO, mind you) really came into his own when he went solo.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 07:27
Not as bad as it could have been But it hasn’t got any surprises in it!!!!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 07:29
Not bad list.  But way too 70s centric for one thing and for another, the ranking is all over the place.  Shulman above Fish, are you f**king kidding me?LOLLOLLOL
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 07:30
No Dagmar? Id have had Wyatt higher
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 07:34
Had I done the list Inga Rumpf would certainly have been on it as a female vocalist from Germany. She sings in both German and English.

Here a clip with her (why they show the Swedish flag at the beginning is a mystery to me; Frumpy are a German band):

Edited by BaldFriede - January 16 2021 at 08:27

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 10:00
Gayle Moran (aka Mrs. Chick Corea), Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 10:29
Unbelieveable..........no James Labrie or Neal Morse or Portnoy. Krappy list LOL

Yea its too much of an old man list. Hasse Froberg, Bruce Soord maybe some other modern singers. Overall the list is fine and predictable, except for SWilson remove him and add in Hasse or Soord.

"Greatest" is a terrible descriptor too..
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 10:33
Putting Hogarth that far above Fish seems... provocative. ;)
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 10:49
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Not bad list.  But way too 70s centric for one thing and for another, the ranking is all over the place.  Shulman above Fish, are you f**king kidding me?LOLLOLLOL

Exactly. Minnear is the missing piece. I would give him a high ranking. The middle section of Wreck requires a lot of control and Kerry achieves it Clap
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 20:28
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Unbelieveable..........no James Labrie or Neal Morse or Portnoy. Krappy list LOL

Yea its too much of an old man list. Hasse Froberg, Bruce Soord maybe some other modern singers. Overall the list is fine and predictable, except for SWilson remove him and add in Hasse or Soord.

"Greatest" is a terrible descriptor too..
Surely you'd have Daniel Gildenlow somewhere near the top?
 Post Reply Post Reply