Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is this a Mellotron?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this a Mellotron?
    Posted: January 16 2021 at 10:41
I don't particularly have a lot of knowledge about keyboards so... just out of curiosity.

Is a Mellotron being played in the end of this song, more specifically in 6:29?

Not for rent. To any God or government.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 11:04
I'd tend to say no, maybe either real strings or a String keyboard or a Soundfont. There appears to be more waiver in the strings than i would expect to hear out of a mellotron. It's also possible that the mellotrn is being used with the string section as a sweetener. That's the fun of recording, what you can do in the studio.

Are you asking because you're not sure what a mellotron sounds like or you're just not sure if one was used here?
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2021 at 11:17

Looking at http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1251 and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_of_the_Century_(album), there is no mention of mellotron in the list of instruments. However, there is mention of string arrangements on tracks including Rudy.

Edited by I prophesy disaster - January 16 2021 at 11:24
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 03:57
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Looking at http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=1251 and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_of_the_Century_(album), there is no mention of mellotron in the list of instruments. However, there is mention of string arrangements on tracks including Rudy.

Yes, it sounds more like strings than a typical 'tron.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 04:02
I've always thought they are strings. 
Umeda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 16:56
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

[...] Are you asking because you're not sure what a mellotron sounds like or you're just not sure if one was used here?

Second option. Recently I just found this Brazilian blog which has a lot of reviews about rock albums in general, but particularly has many posts about prog rock. In the COTC review, it's said that the sound in question was performed by a Mellotron, which I thought to be quite weird, considering I've never read anything about Mr. Davies playing such an instrument (though he plays another common instrument in the prog world, the Hammond organs). Since I've got really surprised I just wanted to confirm this, but it must be a mistake by the blogger. Thank you all for the answers.

Edited by Umeda - January 26 2021 at 17:01
Not for rent. To any God or government.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 18:35
Its definitely a string section, you can hear the bow articulation when the notes start, and at one point they swell, only real strings can do that.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 20:51
They sound like a real string section to my ears.  However, since Mellotron tapes WERE recorded with live musicians, the tapes have bow inflection on stringed instruments, breath in woodwinds etc. if you listen closely enough.  This was pointed out to me many years ago.

Many or most of those musicians who recorded those samples are likely deceased, and yet their notes play on! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2021 at 03:29
I'm more or less certain they are real strings.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2021 at 05:17
Strings!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply