Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My top 25 Prog Metal Albums from 2020

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My top 25 Prog Metal Albums from 2020
    Posted: January 17 2021 at 02:54
I was asked elsewhere what my favourite prog metal albums were from last year. I kind of find it amusing that I’m asked my opinion on prog metal as, although I like a lot of it, it’s probably one of my least favourite genres of music to listen to. Because of this, anyone who does like prog metal will see many notable omissions from this list. That’s simply because I haven’t listened to them because I’m not particularly interested, or because I’ve not enjoyed what I’ve heard previously, or because they’re still on my “to listen to” list and likely to longer there awhile just because (as aforementioned) there are other genres of music I’m more inclined to listen to first.

Loosely ranked from 25 to one. The closer to number one the more likely the ranking is to be accurate, and the closer to 25, the more likely the rank is more arbitrary.

1. Lucynine - Amor Venenat 

2. Pull Down the Sun - Of Valleys and Mountains

3. Pencarrow - Growth in the Absence of Light

4. Lucid Planet - II

5. Avandra - Skylighting

6. Egregor - Pakachuti

7. Shores of Null - Beyond the Shores (On Death and Dying)

8. Acute Mind - Under the Empty Sky
(No Bandcamp)

9. Void of Sleep - Metaphora

10. Ottone Pesante - DoomooD 

11. Draconian - Under a Godless Veil

12. Caelestra - Black Widow Nebula

13. Jupiter Hollow - Bereavement 

14. The Advent Equation - Remnants of Oblivion
(No Bandcamp)

15. Kekal - Quantum Resolution

16. Kilter - Axiom

17. Postvorta - Porrima

18. White Walls - Grandeur

19. Áuryn - Antes de Cerrar los Ojos

20. Autocatalytica - Powerclashing Maximalism

21. Green Carnation - Leaves of Yesteryear

22. Marhold - A Homemade World
(No Bandcamp)

23. Sound of Origin - The All Seeing Eye

24. Inno - The Rain Under

25. Nero di Marte - Immoto

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 03:03
I know few of these but it's nice to see White Walls and Avandra getting some love. 

Also Draconian is just gothic-doom. Great album, I agree. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 03:22
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I know few of these but it's nice to see White Walls and Avandra getting some love. 

Also Draconian is just gothic-doom. Great album, I agree. 

Yeah, I’m not convinced about it being prog either, but I have been assured by others it is, and that the band is more progressive than they were. But if they came up as a suggested band for PA, in my current position as part of the prog metal team, they’d get a No from me. It’s only because I copied and pasted from elsewhere that Draconian is in this list, because they were considered prog enough there. If I had made the list for this forum, they’d not be included.

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 10:26
It's not a genre I spend a lot of time in, but I did like the Pencarrow and Green Carnation albums. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 10:32
Green Carnation is awesome in general. Tongue
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 16:05
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Green Carnation is awesome in general. Tongue
I can’t argue with that. My favourite albums are Journey to the End of Night and Light of Day, Day of Darkness, so I really like that on Leaves of Yesteryear they refer back to those days.

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 16:07
In the Woods... (since their history is intertwined with Green Carnation) are also awesome in general. 🖤

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 00:06
...And not a single damn one tickled my fancy above a 6.5/10.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 00:09
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

In the Woods... (since their history is intertwined with Green Carnation) are also awesome in general. 🖤

I agree, their last album was great. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 03:05
I love everything about it, from the cover art in....
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 08:39
I'm listening to Marhold's album for the first time.  I like it.  I don't see them listed here on PA though.  Thoughts?  Prog metal or heavy prog?
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 08:47
They are probably more heavy prog than prog metal, but they are kind of in a grey area, I guess. I think they could fit fairly easily into either, depending on where you draw the line.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 09:18
I don't see that they have been suggested so I was thinking of suggesting them.  

My favorite prog album of the year is Ayreon's latest, which based on forum posts, I am the only PAer who likes this album.  I've only heard 4 or 5 of the albums on your list.

On MMA, Hail Spirit Noir was voted their number 1 metal album of 2020.  
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2021 at 09:26
I still haven’t listened to last year’s Hail Spirit Noir. There are actually a lot of likely glaring omissions from my list, simply because I’ve not yet listened to them. The thing is, I don’t naturally gravitate to prog metal, so most of these albums on my list came to me only because I was reviewing them for The Progressive Aspect. Several of them I didn’t expect to enjoy at all, but ended up loving. Everyone will find different things interesting and/or enjoyable, and that’s good. It would be a boring world if we all felt the same away about everything.

Post Reply Post Reply