0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 14:40
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

suitkees:  Iannis Xenakis “Kottos”   Grangs and burps, angry bees begin the piece, I quite enjoy the drony bits.  More swoops and deep swirls and hard attack with bow, the bees are not very happy, I tell you.  I like that they have the actual music accompanying the piece in the video, fun to watch along with it.  This would be excellent as a film score for a bomber attack, so far).  Back to rapidity about 4 minutes in, with some swoop sounds interspersed.  Lots of dynamics from highs to lows, then back to rapid bowing, sometimes on multiple strings. Ends with some slippy-slidies on the strings.  My old dog, Beau, would not have approved of this piece, however, I find it rather fascinating. Hildur Guđnadóttir “Elevation”  At under a minute, I already love this piece.  Deep, tranquil bowing, rising and falling in intensity throughout, no need to rush or display fireworks.  Lovely.

Nice reading your assessment (as always!). I think "fascinating" or "intriguing" are indeed the words for this Xenakis piece. My cat seems to like it, but she has a very eclectic taste regarding music. She likes Pink Floyd, Yes, Hawkwind, Eisler, Saga.... That is, when I asked her if she liked Xenakis she said "meow", and when I asked "you don't like it?" she said "meow" too... (it is all a matter of interpretation...). Anyway, she didn't seem to appreciate Xenakis less than Guđnadóttir, so that's a good thing... Smile
  Glad you "got," my descriptions, suitkees!  Cats do generally have pretty good taste in music.  My husband always wrote with at least one at his side for their critiques....in fact, some of the notation lists "Fred E. Kong," as the composer (which was one of the cats).  :)  I also know of an African Grey Parrot who has decidedly firm tastes in music, he lets his humans know whether he approves or not, quite vociferously.  He does enjoy quite a bit of prog.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2021 at 07:23
if I don't think of something to post today, I'll have to sit out this round. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2021 at 12:55
Well I certainly do hope you can think of something that you are happy with Cristi, or both happy and sad about at the same time for the sake of added contrast. ;)

I just thought of this alternate pairing:

Alone Again Naturally

Love Shack

Or Simon and Garfunkel's The Sound of Silence and Brokencyde's Get Crunk.

And not sure about Nick. I will wait until tomorrow to put these up.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2021 at 14:26
ok, here it is.
Two songs with one of my favorite vocalists - Michael Kiske, two bands. Place Vendome is a melodic hard & heavy band, a catchy heavy metal song and a song obviously from Helloween but it's the acoustic ballad Longing. 

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 10:32
The list:

- Logan: Mica Levi's "Lipstick to Void" & Mono's "Disney Town"

- Shadowyzard: Chiara's "What If We" & Netta's "Toy"*

[Note that the video for "Toy" does not work in my country, and I see a number of vids on youtube.

I do see that Geo found another and has it in the cuurent playlist (and Nickie earlier).

- nick_h_nz: As said, if you wish to nominate specific ones from Asian Death Crustacean and Olkhon, I, like Nicky, am fine with bandcamp(we would want to direct link to the specific songs). If you wish to and see this, I can add those to the end of the list later today (was going to post about this last night but the site went down),

- jamesbaldwin: Steve Wynn's "Carolyn" & "Strange New World"

- I prophesy disaster: Kula Shaker's "Grateful When You're Dead / Jerry Was There" & Red Hot Chili Peppers's "Sir Psycho Sexy"

- The Anders: Kashmir 's "The Cynic" & "The Push"

- Lewian: Langham Research Centre's "Algebra of the Sky" & Eliane Radigue's "Adnos I-III"

- TCat: Alabama Shakes' "You Ain't Alone" & Arcane's "My Mother is Not the White Dove"*

* {not terribly arcane factoid} there are a number of Arcane's, including one included at PA in Heavy Prog from Australia.

- Snicolette: "Michael Penn's "No Myth" & Owain Phyfe's "Hearts Ease"*

*Quite the balladeer/ troubadour who has played Neo-Pagan festivals and Renaissance faeres or fairs, featuring the ghost of The Bard himself on Keytar (not heard, but there in spirit)

- mathman0806: Dmitry Lisenko's "Prometheus" & Author & Punisher's "Nihil Strength"

- suitkees: Iannis Xenakis' "Kottos" & Hildur Guđnadóttir's "Elevation" *

* I considered Xenakis as well for this.

- Cristi: Place Vendome's" Streets of Fire" & Helloween's "Longing"

I hope I caught all of the entries. I'll add options in now, and hopefully official voting will start later on today.

Edited by Logan - January 25 2021 at 10:34
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 11:01
These are the options listed (quotation marks removed as it is causing an error)

"Lipstick to Void" & "Disney Town"
"What If We" & "Toy"
"Carolyn" & "Strange New World"
"Grateful When You're Dead / Jerry..." & "Sir Psycho Sexy"
"The Cynic" & "The Push"
"Algebra of the Sky" & "Adnos I-III"
"You Ain't Alone" & "My Mother is Not the White Dove"
"No Myth" & "Hearts Ease"
"Prometheus" & "Nihil Strength"
"Kottos" & "Elevation"
"Streets of Fire" & "Longing"

Okay, thought there might be another addition, but I don't think so now, so the poll is open to voting.

Edited by Logan - January 25 2021 at 11:18
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 11:52
Here are my first thoughts on your secondary option, Logan, and also on your entry, Cristi's.

Logan (alternate pairing):  Gilbert O’Sullivan “Alone Again Naturally”  I remember this one well from when it was a hit in the US.  Kind of a wry self-deprecating song, most of us probably can relate!  B 52’s “Love Shack”  And I also know this one.  I actually love the dissonant harmonies of the women singers in this band, they were very amusing and also that is very hard to sing like that.  Lots of fun

Cristi:  Place Vendome “Streets of Fire”  The piece begins with some very pretty piano, then full-on onslaught of a very rocking band.  Has a feeling of grandness in the music.  Very competent male rock vocalist sings a song of fighting for survival in a war-like setting.  Helloween “Longing” Acoustic guitar strumming and mournful lyrics are sung by another powerful vocalist.  Nice, strings provide a bolster and interest to the piece.  I think this is my favourite that I’ve heard from you, Cristi and they are both very different from each other.  Well done! 

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 12:08
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

[Note that the video for "Toy" does not work in my country, and I see a number of vids on youtube.

Nickie, can you please share Netta's Toy here, if it (the video you watched) is from a linkable source, so that I can add it to my original post?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 12:17
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Nickie, can you please share Netta's Toy here, if it (the video you watched) is from a linkable source, so that I can add it to my original post?
This is all I could find and he did say that it wasn't the full one he'd entered.  But here it is, at least you can get an idea, I think, if nothing else will work for you.  I had to resort only to this one, for my own summation.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 12:20

This is all I could find and he did say that it wasn't the full one he'd entered.  But here it is, at least you can get an idea, I think, if nothing else will work for you.  I had to resort only to this one, for my own summation.

Thank you. This is the semi-final + final performance together (I don't know how they handled the audial differences BTW) but better than nothing. Big smile

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 25 2021 at 12:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 12:24

This is all I could find and you did say that it wasn't the full one you'd entered.  But here it is, at least one can get an idea, I think, if nothing else will work.  I had to resort only to this one, for my own summation.

Thank you. This is the semi-final + final performance together (I don't know how they handled the audial differences BTW) but better than nothing. Big smile

Edited by Snicolette - January 25 2021 at 12:24
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 12:29
^ added to my original post. Thanks again.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 12:45
Not sure what the OP wanted here...and I have read his post several times...yin and yang..sort of.....call me confused....
But I love the melodic west coast style rock that is country and folk influenced  and the more trad things so....two songs about different ways of looking at love and  stylistically different. Two of my favorite songs....

Edited by dr wu23 - January 25 2021 at 12:52
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 12:48

Cristi:  Place Vendome “Streets of Fire”  The piece begins with some very pretty piano, then full-on onslaught of a very rocking band.  Has a feeling of grandness in the music.  Very competent male rock vocalist sings a song of fighting for survival in a war-like setting.  Helloween “Longing” Acoustic guitar strumming and mournful lyrics are sung by another powerful vocalist.  Nice, strings provide a bolster and interest to the piece.  I think this is my favourite that I’ve heard from you, Cristi and they are both very different from each other.  Well done! 

Michael Kiske sings in both songs. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 12:57
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Michael Kiske sings in both songs. Tongue
I guess I didn't read your description that well (or remember).  I started to listen then had to stop and come back later and start again, without reading it again, lol.  So much for my short-term memory! LOL I did enjoy these, thanks, Cristi!  
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 13:02
Just lost my post Doug. It was longer and more explanatory. I'm just looking for two selections that contrast with each other (they can be opposites in some way, but don't need to be). I meant to be pretty open in how one might approach this, and went for some humour that didn't work. I like to leave room for individual interpretation and approach and see the approach that others take (this is very common with me when I make topics). I'd often rather that people think a little out of a box than box people in. I can add those since no one has voted yet.

I can do super vague and hard to decipher, but I actually thought this was reasonably clear and offered a lot of flexibility and variance in approach.

"Each of your two choices should contrast with each other (a sort of yin and yang dualist proposition). This does not mean that they must be opposites per se, such as hard vs. soft, aggressive vs. gentle, happy vs. sad, consonant vs. dissonant and so forth, but they should feel quite tonally different to you and at least provide some interesting contrast from your perspective."

I have added your choices.

Edited by Logan - January 25 2021 at 13:26
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 13:24

Just lost my post Doug. It was longer and more explanatory. I'm just looking for two selections that contrast with each other (they can be opposites in some way, but don't need to be). I meant to be pretty open in how one might approach this, and went for some humour that didn't work. I like to leave room for individual interpretation and approach and see the approach that others take (this is very common with me when I make topics). I'd often rather that people think a little out of a box than box people in. I can add those since no one has voted yet.

I can do super vague and hard to decipher, but I actually thought this was reasonably clear and offered a lot of flexibility and variance in approach.

"Each of your two choices should contrast with each other (a sort of yin and yang dualist proposition). This does not mean that they must be opposites per se, such as hard vs. soft, aggressive vs. gentle, happy vs. sad, consonant vs. dissonant and so forth, but they should feel quite tonally different to you and at least provide some interesting contrast from your perspective."

Heh Logan...I 'm getting too old..I even forgot your were the OP on this one. Embarrassed
Well...as I said they are different in style for me and two ways to approach love and relationships.
I hope they fit the bill.
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 13:34
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Heh Logan...I 'm getting too old..I even forgot your were the OP on this one. Embarrassed
Well...as I said they are different in style for me and two ways to approach love and relationships.
I hope they fit the bill.
Smile

No worries, they definitely fit the bill for me (although I could add that if they fit the bill for you, then they do for me).

Just as an aside, I mentioned Yin and Yang in my opening post largely as an excuse to put some Bauhaus lyrics in the acrostic I had in the poll options which strangely amuses me "Yin and yang lumber punch. Go taste a tart, then eat my lunch." I was wondering if anyone would get that In the Flat Fields reference (I had planned for that to be my choice, but then forgot -- I was seriously multitasking when I did the topic). I only got into Bauhaus because of the opening scene in The Hunger (with Bela Lugosi's Dead).

I had like four possibilities lined up, and think my first three worked better.

Edited by Logan - January 25 2021 at 13:48
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 17:23
And one more, just in time:

dr wu23:  The Byrds “Everybody’s Been Burned”  I have not heard this in ages.  What a great song, country/folk with a little bit of the psych/blues feel to it, very wistful.  Superb vocal, an understated mid-section lead and soft, sweet production, like they used to do.  A dreamy, sort of smoky reflective piece.  James Gang “Tend My Garden”  Swelling organ starts the piece and strummed, washy guitars.  An invitation song, another I haven’t heard in a really, really long time.  Piano lead in the middle of the tune, and sustained guitar lead.  Great juxtaposition between the two pieces.  
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 16:41
Some comments on the first songs.

Logan
"Lipstick to the Void": It's like a mix between experimental electronic music and post-1945 avant-garde music. Towards the end it gets a sort of eastern flavour. I like it a lot. Contender. "Disney Town": The intro doesn't sound worlds apart from the previous track, but after that it turns into a more regular song with jazz/rock instrumentation. I'm not entirely sure how to categorize it, but that is meant as a compliment. Parts of it remind me of Portishead. Fine song, but I think I liked the first one better.

Shadowyzard
I used to watch Eurovision back in the day, but I became increasingly frustrated about the direction it has taken. I think it has very little to do with music anymore, and to be honest, the "Toy" winner was probably the final nail in the coffin for my part. I get that it was written as a MeToo anthem which is of course a positive thing, but sadly I find it too hysterical. It was especially frustrating for me since in the previous year, the contest was won by this song which I genuinely love: http://youtube.com/watch?v=JHt63PDc6Qc
As for "What If We", I'd say it's a fine composition, and she sings it very well. The musical arrangement is a bit too pompous for my taste. I often prefer a more dry sound.

jamesbaldwin
"Carolyn" sounds quite americana to me. The chorus makes me think of "Carrie Ann" by the Hollies. It's a bit difficult for me to judge music like this, because it a bit far away from what I normally listen to. But I do like the folk elements, as well as the string arrangement. "Strange New World" is more rocky and much more me. It has a quite punky attitude and sound. Raw and unpolihed. Vocally he reminds me a bit of Michael Stipe. Should be a contender.

I prophesy disaster
"Grateful When You're Dead". More rock. I've heard of this band of couse, but I don't think I have ever heard their music before. Raw vocal performance, a lot of "spade" (electric guitar), and a slightly funky beat. Not something I listen to very often, but I like it. After 3 minutes, the song suddenly changes character. We get a slower tempo with bongos as the main rhythm instruments to a Pink Floyd'ish keyboard backdrop. Nice guitar work here too, which reminds me of Gilmour (f.e. the slide notes). It then builds up in intensity, and the song ends. "Sir Psycho Sexy": I already knew this one because back in the day I copied that album to a cassette tape which I still have. I'm not kidding. To be honest, RHCP doesn't ressonate as well with me today as it did back in the 90's. Also, the lyrics make me rather uncomfortable. But one can not deny we are speaking of one of the defining albums of the 1990's.

Lewian
"Algebra of the Sky": This one puts a smile on my face. The music is obviously dead serious, but serious music can have humor too. It is also fun to watch them turn the knobs and use their "instruments". Very mucy up my alley, and a strong contender. "Adnos I-III" is quite a different beast. Begins with an uncanny drone sound that suddenly ends abruptly, and a new one begins. It is rich in overtones. There are also some very off-key bell-like sounds, as well as some high-pitched "noise" in the background. I guess it would work well as backdrop music for an art installation. Very gripping, and another obvious contender.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>