0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2021 at 14:31
And now for the second batch of songs.

TCat
"You Ain't Alone": She sounds quite a lot like Janis Joplin, but her voice seems a bit deeper. It's a similar sort of blues/soul/rock, but I think she is overdoing her vocal phrasings. She clearly has a good voice, but it's a style that Janis simply did better, and I also think she had better song material to work with. I like the sound of the band though. "My Mother is Not the White Dove" is more laid back. I like the very dry sound of the acoustic instruments (harp, strings, trumpet). The vocals are more down-to-earth. I'm not so keen on the whistle (flute?) which makes me think of new age. But overall I like it, and it appeals much more to me than the previous song.

Snicolette
"No Myth": Very 80's sounding recording, especially with the gated drums. Fine melody and vocals, I think I might have heard it before by the way. Not something I would normally listen to, but I do like it. "Hearts Ease" is an acoustic folk ballad. Contains harp, lute (?), flute, cello, and a viola? (I think it sounds too deep to be a violin). Or do they go all in with viola da gamba and things like that? I like it a lot.

mathman0806
"Prometheus": Acoustic bass guitar is not an instrument one encounters very often. Normally, that type of instrumental showing off does very little for me, but I of course acknowlege his technical skills. But I can't help notice that he tends to get a bit out of tempo, especially at the points where he is doing something difficult on the bass. "Nihil Strength": Very weird intro. Then enter a sort of industrial metal song for electronic instruments instead of the more traditional guitar, bass and drums. The music is clearly interesting, and many aspects fascinate me. I have some difficulties appreciating growl singing though, and consequently I like the instrumental parts best, espeically the one that comes after 2 minutes. I like this track much better than "Prometheus".
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2021 at 14:47
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Snicolette
"No Myth": Very 80's sounding recording, especially with the gated drums. Fine melody and vocals, I think I might have heard it before by the way. Not something I would normally listen to, but I do like it. "Hearts Ease" is an acoustic folk ballad. Contains harp, lute (?), flute, cello, and a viola? (I think it sounds too deep to be a violin). Or do they go all in with viola da gamba and things like that? I like it a lot.

Glad you found them enjoyable....The first one did chart fairly well in the US, anyway, #13 in the Billboard Hot 100.  He is Sean Penn's (the actor) brother.  The second was a regular performer on the US Renaissance Faire circuit.  Could very well be viola de gamba, with those folks (most are from another band on the same circuit, "Cantiga"), but I don't know if it is, or violin. Owain sadly died of pancreatic cancer in 2012.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2021 at 15:49
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

..."Lipstick to the Void": It's like a mix between experimental electronic music and post-1945 avant-garde music. Towards the end it gets a sort of eastern flavour. I like it a lot. Contender. "Disney Town": The intro doesn't sound worlds apart from the previous track, but after that it turns into a more regular song with jazz/rock instrumentation. I'm not entirely sure how to categorize it, but that is meant as a compliment. Parts of it remind me of Portishead. Fine song, but I think I liked the first one better....

Thanks Anders, and here I thought that "Lipstick to the Void" might be the one that would mean that my entries might get no votes (hadn't thought that one out rationally). I like it a lot. Music reminds me of many things, but is very reminiscent of Ligeti (like from 2001: A Space Odyssey with the Kubricked "Atmospheres") and the score to Psycho and it reminds me of Tangerine Dream's "Genesis" off its first album (TD having been inspired by Ligeti). The film itself, Under the Skin, actually reminds me of 2001 A Space Odyssey, especially in the entry, but also because of the music.

Disney Town is very much in the Portishead realm (along with Morcheeba and others) all operating at the same time with that kind of downtempo loungey and often jazzy sound in the 90s, and various on the dream pop and trip-hop (and chamber pop in various cases) side. For quite some time not long ago that was my main thing in music, with Portishead's Dummy being a primo album for me.

The commentary is much appreciated, and I appreciate how well people "get" (or grok I'd rather say) the music in these topics.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 16:32
I won't go into substantive commentary. There were several other duos that I would have liked to give additional votes to, but these are my choices:

- Kottos & Elevation: I had heard Kottos, and while I appreciated it and have for a long time, it's Elevation which elevated this to must be on the podium. I love it. Very beautiful. It is not elevator music, it's elevated music.

- Algebra of the Sky & Adnos I-III: Algebra of the Sky provided interesting contrast but it's Ando 1-113 that [ad] nosed it to this position. I was listening to it last night in bed, and the hypnotic drone qualities resonated with me and the waves played with my brain waves. Also beautiful. By the way, Algebra of the Sky would be a good name for a math rock band. Ultimately I guess I could just not say adios to Adnos.

The Cynic & The Push: While I traditionally have not been that into Alt. Rock (in a more modern sense), was even quite cynical when it came to it at one time, or other alternative things such as the alt. right, alt. facts, or even Ctrl+Alt+Delete, I liked the artistic (art rock) stylings of both of these, and I like how they contrast. And I hear Indy qualities that I like. Push didn't need to come to shove to push this to the podium, and no cynicism here.

Thanks to all who contributed to this.

Edited by Logan - January 28 2021 at 16:52
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 17:36
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I won't go into substantive commentary. There were several other duos that I would have liked to give additional votes to, but these are my choices:

- Kottos & Elevation: I had heard Kottos, and while I appreciated it and have for a long time, it's Elevation which elevated this to must be on the podium. I love it. Very beautiful. It is not elevator music, it's elevated music.

- Algebra of the Sky & Adnos I-III: Algebra of the Sky provided interesting contrast but it's Ando 1-113 that [ad] nosed it to this position. I was listening to it last night in bed, and the hypnotic drone qualities resonated with me and the waves played with my brain waves. Also beautiful. By the way, Algebra of the Sky would be a good name for a math rock band. Ultimately I guess I could just not say adios to Adnos.

The Cynic & The Push: While I traditionally have not been that into Alt. Rock (in a more modern sense), was even quite cynical when it came to it at one time, or other alternative things such as the alt. right, alt. facts, or even Ctrl+Alt+Delete, I liked the artistic (art rock) stylings of both of these, and I like how they contrast. And I hear Indy qualities that I like. Push didn't need to come to shove to push this to the podium, and no cynicism here.

Thanks to all who contributed to this.

Thumbs Up
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 18:06
There were so many variables to this one, I found it easier to divide it into what I felt were the deepest "opposites," and then what I liked the best to listen to.  My 3 votes are going to what I found most opposite from each other that I was unfamiliar with.

1.  Just about as far apart from one another as you can get, at least for me.  Dmitry Lisenko “Prometheus”  Just fantastic acoustic bass playing here, with finger-snaps punctuating the piece.  Amazing how much he gets out of four strings (and utilizing the body as well), it almost sounds like more than one person playing.  John Renbourn has that same effect as a soloist, but in a very different way.  Quite enjoyed that one.  Author & Punisher “Nihil Strength”  Sonic blast with lots of distortion and growly vocals.  Siren-like sounds to a definitely punishing, relentless beat, with an abrupt ending.  Certainly a yang to Dmitry’s more yin style.  Radically unalike, to my ear.

2.  These two were also ones of which I enjoyed both of the pieces the most, so it was hard to put it into second place, except that #1 was so radically apart from each other.  Iannis Xenakis “Kottos”   Grangs and burps, angry bees begin the piece, I quite enjoy the drony bits.  More swoops and deep swirls and hard attack with bow, the bees are not very happy, I tell you.  I like that they have the actual music accompanying the piece in the video, fun to watch along with it.  This would be excellent as a film score for a bomber attack, so far).  Back to rapidity about 4 minutes in, with some swoop sounds interspersed.  Lots of dynamics from highs to lows, then back to rapid bowing, sometimes on multiple strings. Ends with some slippy-slidies on the strings.  My old dog, Beau, would not have approved of this piece, however, I find it rather fascinating. Hildur Guðnadóttir “Elevation”  At under a minute, I already love this piece.  Deep, tranquil bowing, rising and falling in intensity throughout, no need to rush or display fireworks.  Lovely. 

3.  These also were very apart from each other, similarly, to me, as my #1 choice for opposites.  Chiara “What If We”  Lovely, obviously trained voice, as you said, with a positive message, backed with soft orchestra.  A crowd-pleasing sort of adult contemporary song, if there is such a category anymore.  Flawless performance.  Netta “Toy”  Very modern sort of rap/hip-hop-ish song (if that’s what you call this style that pretty much everyone does these days) with a Latin rhythm.  Definitey fits the opposite yin/yang theme, even though neither are “my” kind of music, I definitely prefer the first to this one, as lyrically it’s pretty much one note.  I’d be a bit scared of her, lol. 

Honourable Mentions truly, for everyone else, as I personally enjoyed at least one of them, if not both.  
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 18:08
Thank you to Logan for the vote. Much appreciated. 'Alt rock' is just a term the music industry has invented to sell something as a bit exclusive. In my world it is just rock, and I don't think Kashmir would call themselves alternative anything. But what do I know...

Here are my comments on the last batch of songs.

suitkees
"Kottos". I am familiar with some work by Iannis Xenakis, but I hadn't heard this piece before. It is actually quite humorous with it's many glissandi, off-key notes and so on, but also rather uncanny - the part after 3:00 reminded me of an alarm siren. There's a hint at the absurdism that for instance Pelle Gudmundsen-Holmgreen was also known for. But there is also a lot of beauty and poetry in it. Strong contender. "Elevation" is more like some experimental electronic music, just played with acoustic instruments. Basically a sonic landscape painting. Like the previous piece it uses glissando notes. It is also very minimalistic. Another strong contender.

Cristi
"Place Vendome". Melodic heavy metal. Fine track overall, but the singing style is not so much my taste. Musically I think I would have liked it better with a bit more variation, for instance some more breaks and silent passages. "Longing" is an acoustic ballad, it later becomes more bombastic, especially with the production. Again, not so much my taste, but I acknowledge its qualities.

dr wu23
"Everybody's Been Burned": I am familiar with some Byrds songs of course, but not this one. Very low-key track, and as such I'd say it's a bit unusual for its time. Interesting unrhythmic guitar solo. I like it a lot, and it should be a contender. "Tend My Garden": I only knew James Gang by name, so I had no idea what to expect. Early 70's sound. A bit middle of the road to my ears, but I like the organ, as well as the piano part from circa 3:00. The composition doesn't quite do it for me.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 18:46
That’s just what my ears are associating it with, irregardless of whether it was a good term for the music industry to use and not based on reading anything about the music (just my impression, of the music, and I wanted to make a little joke). I think Prog is a silly term, but I still use it for music I hear and still use the term. And what is Prog to me might not be Prog to another.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 10:08
Got some - very pleasant - time this afternoon to listen to all the submissions and to comment on them, so here it goes:

Logan: Mica Levi - Lipstick to Void: I didn't like the film Under the Skin... That is, I quite liked the first 2/3 of it, but then it got ridiculous and grotesque for me (it is not the kind of cinema I prefer...). But this track is very intriguing; it creates a haunting athmosphere in its minimalism. Mono's Disney Town is indeed a nice contrast: they match quite well. This track comes as a kind of relief after the anguish. Nice listen!

Shadowyzard
: You said "I'm again coming up with the first thing that came to my mind." Please, next time think twice Wink No seriously, for me the Eurovision Song Contest is more or less the rubbish bin of what Europe has to offer in music: lack of creativity, formulaic songs, but often an excellent execution of them (a showcase of singing talents where the music is just so-so). Every once in a while a song really stands out, but this is not the case with these two, imho. I find them uninspiring, unoriginal, but the performances are great.

nick_h_nz
: Never heard of Asian Death Crustacean, but this comes as a good surprise. I listend to your bandcamp link, don't know which track you would want to put forward but I could't help listen to all of the Baikal album. Very good! I first stumbled upon Baikal V, and then I wanted to hear the rest of the album...! And I actually have the same remarks for Seaorm's Olkhon album; very pleasant discovery too! They're maybe not that much yin and yang to me, but they do team up quite well together. Thanks!

jamesbaldwin
: Steve Wynn, yes, a great catchy song with Carolyn, and you're right: the arrangements are wonderfully effective. There is a similar compactness in the songwriting of Strange New World, but this one has the rough edges instead of the polished approach of the first song. Great playing and arrangements on both tracks. The contrast is clear, the quality too! It's more straight forward but I like these very much.

I prophesy disaster
: Two great bands that I don't listen to, actually. I very much like this track by Kula Shaker; it rocks and then gets into a more psychedelic stance. Wonderful. Both this one and RHCP's Sir Psycho Sexy are very 90s sounding, but the latter remains stylistically in the 90s (apart from the mellotron(-like) finale) where Kula Shaker pours a 70s flavour over their track. Maybe not very contrasting but an interesting pair (of which I prefer Kula Shaker).

The Anders: With Kashmir we continue a bit in 90s style indie-rock (although both tracks are of the noughties). The first track, The Cynic is the rocker, rather straight forward but quite captivating. It does indeed contrast with the tenderness of The Push, a beautiful song but which somehow keeps the signature of the band. Interesting match and great encounter with this band (don't remember having heard them before...).

Lewian: Ah ah ah... Here we go again Tongue  Can you explain why this fascinates us? I like the ping-pong nervousness of The Langham Research Centre (I actually never explored their work...) and it contrasts well with Eliane Radigue's prepare-for-a-moon-landing meditation of Adnos. Great choices!

TCat: Alabama Shakes deliver us a kind of back-to-basics blues rock song, and yes what a voice to deliver it. Soul and emotion -great! But Arcane's My Mother is not the White Dove steals the show here for me. What a beautiful song! Great arrangements and production (a nice profound bass sound...) and the singing is wonderful too. Very different from the first, but both transfer emotion in a powerful way. Arcane is for me the highlight, though.

Snicolette: Interesting match of singer-songwriters. Michael Penn, the more modern pop-rock one while Owain Phyfe goes back in time with a more troubadour-like style. I actually don't know if Penn's song did something here in Europe, but listening to it it should have been a hit. Catchy song, great arrangements and playing... what's not to like? I also love the troubadour style of Phyfe. Never heard of him, but this one makes us time travel. Beautiful.

mathman: Interesting match of solo artists! Wonderful playing by Dmitry Lisenko, impressive to watch and a really good song just coming out of a bass guitar. Author & Punisher is intriguing. I don't like the growling, but musically it is to me very interesting: a kind of minimalist industrial tinge that appeals to me. Intriguing but I'm not sure if I also really like it, but it is good enough to want to explore more of him, just to find out.

suitkees: Crap! They just don't know how to play a cello and in the other one they're just caressing it...

Cristi: Ah, Place Vendôme really sounds good. It's rather straight forward hard rock to my ears, but it works for me - great singing and playing, well written song. Although not surprising it is very solid and captivating. Nicely paired up with Helloween's ballad Longing: a beautifully orchestrated song. Don't know from when this one is, but to me it's up to Helloweens' best.

dr_wu23: Great choices! Love this song by The Byrds: beautiful melody and playing and very romantic. Haven't heard this one since a long time and it is maybe one of their songs that I like most. Never listened much to the James Gang, but I also love this song, a typical late 60s early 70s song - I mean typical of what I like from that period: just great rock with nice organ playing in it. Nice to hear again, because it's not necesarilly something I turn back to often, nowadays.

Now scratching my head to decide which ones to vote for...

Edited by suitkees - January 30 2021 at 03:16

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 11:40
My votes:
Lipstick to Void & Disney Town
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 11:52
Honorable mentions include "Strange New World", "Hearts Ease" and "Everybody's Been Burned".

In the end I think I am not that much of a fan of voting for duos, because in many cases I like one song much better than the other.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 12:04
Glad you enjoyed "Heart's Ease," The Anders. 

In this one, I didn't necessarily vote for what I liked, more how I felt the poster juxtaposed two pieces next to one another.  So I hear you on that, in particular, this time if I didn't vote "for" a duo, it had much less to do with what I enjoyed.  I did like one or the other of everyones, though, so that's why I decided to base my voting the way I did.

and suitkees, I must tell you, I love reading your synopses, especially the ones you give to yourself.  Smile
Plus, everything pretty much that Owain Phyfe recorded is available on YT, should you care to further explore him. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 13:58
-jamesbaldwin-Carolyn and Strange New World ....I was a fan of Dream Syndicate back when I was a young  man of 33 so these two tracks resonated with me...sadly I no longer own Medicicne Show ,Wynns early band ...another lp that got lost over the years before I kept track of my vinyl.
-Tcats-You Aint Alone  and Mother Is Not... I like the Alabama Shakes....many of the new alt blues rock bands who are fun to listen to ...Mother Was...... not something I would get hooked on but still very interesting
-snicolette-No Myth and Hearts Ease.....I used to have that Penn lp...liked it..don't recall where it went after all this time..
the Hearts Ease trad ballad was beautiful..I like those old folk things , early lute songs, and madrigal type things... etc...

Edited by dr wu23 - January 29 2021 at 14:00
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 14:49
^ I really liked "Everybody's Been Burned & Tend My Garden". That's a particular one where I regretted not giving it a vote.

While I recognised that "this approach might very well lend itself to a listener liking one of the selections while disliking the other" I had been planning to do duos or short song trios for this round for a long time. Of course Lorenzo did duos last round. I've done polls like that at PA before and received complaints when they were done as duos of contrast (but then I went quite extreme in the contrast, so it would not surprise if someone hated one selection and loved the other). Done in fun in the extreme case, but also I was curious to see how people would approach it. I thought also about doing a lightning round where we are back to nominating one and limited to one week.

I wouldn't want a duos approach to become the standard. I hope people will come up all sorts of challenges and twists in this series, which will make people think about how they will approach their nominations and develop strategies for how they will vote. For me it's not just about finding and sharing music we like, but is the whole process and the challenges that come with it. Every one has been challenging and creative in its own way.

By the way my last post didn't come out quite right. Alternative Rock isn't something that I very much associated with Kashmir (reminded me of some "Indie Rock" too I like whether one likes the term or not), though my mind does tend to automatically subcategorise based on ones they remind me of no matter how vaguely, and if alt. rock in any way (and at least I'm not calling it vanilla rock), then it is not the kind that I ever would have taken issue with, but this silly stab at humour came to mind (control alt delete etc.) and I ran with it. So instead of being substantive, the alt.rock association I made (even if not much thought out) was serving an intended joke that worked in my head, but not well in text (or at least not in my text).

It is kind of interesting, Anders, that we voted for two of the same, and the other was for each others option.

I did partially consider how they juxtaposed to me. At one time I was thinking, because I listened to all a few times on different days, this is really tough cause there were many duos that I could have gone with depending on my approach, but all three duos I voted for did work together for me. In the case of Kee's choice, Elevation was the standout (and my personal favourite of this poll) and with Lewian's Adnos I-III is the one that pushed me in that duo direction (listening to it at night with my closed I really appreciated it).

All interesting choices and approaches.

Edited by Logan - January 29 2021 at 14:59
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 15:11
Don't worry, I got the joke about ctrl alt delete :)

Quite a lot of the music I listen to is often categorized as alternative or indie, but it's just not words I use very often.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 15:49
I'm gonna listen and vote tomorrow Tongue

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 15:56
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

-snicolette-No Myth and Hearts Ease.....I used to have that Penn lp...liked it..don't recall where it went after all this time..
the Hearts Ease trad ballad was beautiful..I like those old folk things , early lute songs, and madrigal type things... etc...

I do still have that Medicine Show LP!  We do have a lot of the same musical taste, I'm always intrigued to see what you bring forth.  Glad you enjoyed "Heart's Ease."  As mentioned above, Owain's work is easily found if you want to listen to more.  
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 15:59
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Cristi: Ah, Place Vendôme really sounds good. It's rather straight forward hard rock to my ears, but it works for me - great singing and playing, well written song. Although not surprising it is very solid and captivating. Nicely paired up with Helloween's ballad Longing: a beautifully orchestrated song. Don't know from when this one is, but to me it's up to Helloweens' best.

Streets of Fire is the title song of Place Vendome's 2009 album.
Longing is on Helloween's 1993 album, the controversial Chameleon. I like that album, but metalheads often dislike it. LOL
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 16:30
My podium:

1) No Myth & Hearts Ease : angelic music

2) Grateful When You're Dead / Jerry... & Sir Psycho Sexy: very good elaborate and rhythmic music

3) You Ain't Alone & My Mother is Not the White Dove: heartland music, great performances

Honorable mention:

4) The Cynic & The Push: until the end competing for the bronze medal

Special mentions:

* Special mention by the critics for the noise avant-garde: 
Algebra of the Sky & Adnos I-III

** Special mention by critics for contemporary cultured music:
Kottos & Elevation

*** Special mention by critics for music that explores the boundaries of instrumental technique:
Prometheus & Nihil Strength

****Special mention by critics for music relaxes and lulls you into a state of receptive emptiness:
Lipstick to Void & Disney Town

But every pair of songs was good.Clap

Edited by jamesbaldwin - January 29 2021 at 16:43
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 17:02
I'll be voting tomorrow; and the next day, unleash my own poll and conquer the universe. Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>