0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 17:17
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

My podium:

1) No Myth & Hearts Ease : angelic music
But every pair of songs was good.Clap
  So glad you enjoyed!  if I had approached this one as just music I liked, certainly your two would have been there, I enjoyed very much hearing Steve Wynne again.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 07:46
this is hard, with duo songs option, one of the songs stands out and the other one not so much, makes voting really hard

my  choices for now

The Cynic & The Push
Everybody's Been Burned & Tend My Garden
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 18:24
A few comments for a starter:

Logan: I love both of these, as you could maybe imagine. Lipstick to Void has some proper quality, it's not just functional. The Mono one is even better. Of course as a Broadcast fan I was going to like this. I was thinking about buying the album, but unfortunately it doesn't all reach this standard.

Shadowyzard: I was actually tempted to vote for this pair because although I'm not the biggest fan of the music, I like your approach to this. In the past I occasionally listened to the Grand Prix Eurovision and thinking about what's best and why just can make it fun. In fact I must say I don't agree with you. I don't have problems with the first song, but I think the singer's voice is not quite up to it, and also I'd have thought there are three instances of this kind of thing in every competition. The second one, well, I can see how to easily criticise this and in fact I don't like the song much, but the vocal performance is outstanding, and it has some more originality. 

suitkees: Well, yeah, I'm not disappointed. Although I've got to say the major contrast for me is that I couldn't get into the Xennakis one at all, whereas Elevation is stunning. Let's see whether that's enough for a vote, but Yin and Yang for sure...

Not sure whether I'll find the time to comment on them all, but some others that I love are My Mother is not the White Dove, Heart's Ease, and the Prometheus/Nihil Strength combination... not sure yet whether I'd say I like them, but they work very nicely together and for sure they kept me interested. And Kashmir is also still in the race.

Edited by Lewian - January 30 2021 at 18:26
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 03:48
It's Sunday morning, the sun is shining, the cat is flying in the garden chasing birds (don't worry, she's flying too low to catch them...), the coffee is... well finished while listening to the playlist. Thanks George for this and thanks also for the wonderful surprise: the mashup mix between The Monkees and Iron Maiden. Thumbs Up

I'll have to listen to all this again, because even Author & Punisher's growling starts to grow on me... damned...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 06:01
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

It's Sunday morning, the sun is shining, the cat is flying in the garden chasing birds (don't worry, she's flying too low to catch them...), the coffee is... well finished while listening to the playlist. Thanks George for this and thanks also for the wonderful surprise: the mashup mix between The Monkees and Iron Maiden. Thumbs Up

I'll have to listen to all this again, because even Author & Punisher's growling starts to grow on me... damned...

Whoops. I meant to save that mashup to another playlist. Even though most of you have voted, I just added Cristi and dr wu23's entries. Had been away from this. I will be voting later today. And then check out the next one!

Edited by mathman0806 - January 31 2021 at 06:08
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 07:46
Now, I have to get rid of this... Out of the 12 options I could vote for there are 10 contenders. So, what to do? My votes are thus a bit arbitrary and I tried to make it reflect the eclecticism of the music put up here:

- You Ain't Alone & My Mother is Not the White Dove: With Alabama Shakes we're maybe a bit too much in an imitation game, but it is highly effective. It is especially Jane Siberry's/Arcane's track that is the highlight of everything put up here. And both convey in a very different way a powerful emotion.
- No Myth & Hearts Ease: quality singer/songwriter pop-rock (very effective) vs. singer/songwriter troubadour travels (I listened to Owain phyfe's album today; quite nice, but Heart's Ease is maybe the best song on it...)
- Wouldn't think this after a first listen, but Prometheus & Nihil Strength is an intriguing couple: The playing skills of the first vs. the inventiveness of the second. Maybe they're not the best of this competition, but they are both fascinating (maybe some day I will start to like growling...).

Have been hesitating between many others... My hard-rocking me popped up this week-end, so I could have chosen Place Vendôme and Helloween. I really loved the Kula Shaker song, beautiful homage to Jerry Garcia/The Grateful Dead. I had to disqualify Lewian because he hacked my musical brain (by lack of real reason...Disapprove )... and so forth, and so forth... It was a great pleasure listening to all suggestions!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 09:44
I left in the mashup on the playlist and tacked on the individual songs as they do make for an interesting duality that mashed well together.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 15:58
I must vote for Lipstick to Void & Disney Town, this looks as if it was put together just in order to grab my vote, and of course it'll do so.

For votes no. 2 and 3 it's between four others.
Kashmir is pretty good, didn't know them and like the first song a lot. The Push is OK but nothing all too special.
Would've said the same thing about No Myth at first listen, but this has a nice Beatles-like feel and is pretty catchy, so makes a great duo with the wonderful Heart's Ease.
Prometheus and Nihil Strength is the one that does most to widen my horizon. These require me to be in the mood, but ultimately I appreciate their boldness.
And then there's my Dutch-French friend suitkees (I hope you don't take exception to the "Dutch-French" Wink), actually I see what Xennakis is doing there and it has something, and Elevation is exactly up my alley, so...

Kashmir is maybe a little bit behind but still it seems I need four votes... Shocked  
Ultimately I must vote for the mathman, and between Nicky and suitkees I go for the two melodic songs on the mood of the day, tomorrow I could have voted differently.

Edited by Lewian - January 31 2021 at 16:00
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 16:02
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I must vote for Lipstick to Void & Disney Town, this looks as if it was put together just in order to grab my vote, and of course it'll do so.

For votes no. 2 and 3 it's between four others.
Kashmir is pretty good, didn't know them and like the first song a lot. The Push is OK but nothing all too special.
Would've said the same thing about No Myth at first listen, but this has a nice Beatles-like feel and is pretty catchy, so makes a great duo with the wonderful Heart's Ease.
Prometheus and Nihil Strength is the one that does most to widen my horizon. These require me to be in the mood, but ultimately I appreciate their boldness.
And then there's my Dutch-French friend suitkees (I hope you don't take exception to the "Dutch-French" Wink), actually I see what Xennakis is doing there and it has something, and Elevation is exactly up my alley, so...

Kashmir is maybe a little bit behind but still it seems I need four votes... Shocked  
Ultimately I must vote for the mathman, and between Nicky and suitkees I go for the two melodic songs on the mood of the day, tomorrow I could have voted differently.
  Thank you, glad you were in a melodic mood, even though I know what suitkees did IS right up your alley.  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 16:45
Tough one as usual. Went with these:

Lipstick to Void & Disney Town
The Cynic & The Push
Everybody's Been Burned & Tend My Garden
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 19:31
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

My podium:

1) <span style=": rgb240, 241, 245;">No Myth & Hearts Ease : angelic music</span>
But every pair of songs was good.Clap

So glad you enjoyed!  if I had approached this one as just music I liked, certainly your two would have been there, I enjoyed very much hearing Steve Wynne again.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 07:47
Sorry for the delay, and sorry for just mentioning the names of my winners this time. I just wasn't in the mood. 

My votes go to:

1-) Logan: Lipstick to Void & Disney Town
2-) Lewian: Algebra of the Sky & Adnos I-III
3-) Cristi: Streets of Fire & Longing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345