Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sally Oldfield: A Celebration

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 03:21
The Bronze Years  (continued)

"After "Celebration" went gold, Sally Oldfield went on an extended tour documented on the album "Sally Oldfield in Concert". She ended her collaboration with Bronze Records with an album that is considered one of her best." 

""Strange Day In Berlin" was produced by Hans Zimmer, then a budding composer who was to become a legend for his movie scores like "Rain Man", "Pirates Of The Caribbean" and “Gladiator“. He gave Sally the possibility of exploring  orchestral atmospheres in her musical expression and the album yielded the hit single "Path With A Heart"."

"After 6 years of touring, recording, TV-shows and chart success it was time to take a break, only to come back with a huge surprise for her fans reaching out for an even wider audience."

4 stars In Concert (1982)

You Set My Gypsy Blood Free (video courtesy of Lapalissiano) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LthXGAQkDdSROrb3c1sE2U0

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 26 2021 at 08:02
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 04:40
 3 stars Strange Day in Berlin (1983)

A Million Light Years Away from Home (video courtesy of TheSimdingo)  - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LsG3PQhxS-0FR8F_W91fJq4

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 08:09
Sally Oldfield - Becoming a Popstar

"1987 saw the return of Sally Oldfield with the album "Femme" led by "Silver Dagger" the first of 4 singles taken from the album. "Femme". This saw the return of a singer who was ready for pop stardom."

""Silver Dagger" entered the top of the charts in Germany and Europe as did the album, giving  her not only a successful comeback, but extended her following once more. The song is still a staple on German radio and might be one explanation why Germany in particular fell in love with Sally Oldfield."

"In 1988 "Instincts" was  released. The album includes "Let It begin",a duet with Moody Blues singer Justin Hayward.  Well known for the video that accompanied the song it turned Sally Oldfield into a member of the MTV generation . Both albums show Sally Oldfield at the top of the pop genre."

3 stars  Femme (1987)

Silver Dagger (video courtesy of NoMadU55556) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Lv6utUOM2Y-CQD3SX7rfsUh

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 14:54
 3 stars Instincts (1988)

Let It Begin to Change (with Justin Hayward) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LuypSKpadQyltW4HrBKR06i

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 13:01
The Nineties 

"The Nineties saw a return for Sally in fine form.  Both albums "Natasha" and "The Flame" were a step back to her roots combined with a rockier edge, more evidence of her versatility as she continued to explore  the wide field of her musical and lyrical skills."

"She also collaborated with her brother Terry Oldfield on his  album “Star of Heaven“ including a beautiful rendition of the classic “Ave Maria“."

"In 1994 she entered the German and European charts again. The album "Three Rings" with epic songs and pop tunes spawned the hit singles "Digging For Gold" and "Summer Of Love" while keeping old fans happy with aerial and folk influenced melodies like "The Blessing", "Survival" and the title track influenced by J.R. Tolkein’s“Lord of the Rings“."

""Secret Songs"  and "Flaming Star" ended the Millennium era - two critically acclaimed albums combining Sally Oldfield's unmistakable style with ethno-beats and world music influences. "Secret Songs" features the special song "Mystic Drum". hailed as a firm favourite amongst  her growing following of spiritually orientated fans with it's soaring melody and inspiring lyrics."

SallyOldfield.net - https://www.sallyoldfield.net/about-2/

4 stars Natasha (1990)

Break Through the Rock - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Lskgel_PVfdbAIfLie8yqsQ

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 15:39
4 stars The Flame (1992)

Flaming Star -  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LvjqUH6T5ioV3zib6dSO_VE

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 28 2021 at 15:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 11:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 03:23
  5 stars Secret Songs (1996)

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 08:48
Where exactly did "Celebration" go gold? In the UK, her only chart hit was the single "Mirrors".
Was she popular in Germany from the start?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 09:29
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Where exactly did "Celebration" go gold? In the UK, her only chart hit was the single "Mirrors".
Was she popular in Germany from the start?

I'm assuming Sally Oldfield's "Celebration" went Gold in Europe, but Sally's real golden nuggets for me are her two wonderful albums from the mid-nineties: Three Rings (1994) & Secret Songs (1996). Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 00:35

Entering a new millennium

"Sally Oldfield surprised critics again when she entered the new millennium where she was least expected. In 2001 a remix of "Mirrors" turned her into a queen of the clubs. This new version of Sally Oldfield's classic hit peaked right at the top of the dance charts, introducing her music to a whole new generation."  

"Subsequently Sally Oldfield took a break again not knowing how long it might be. But after all, what looked like a circle closing is more like a Zen circle leaving the end open."

"The colorful life and eclectic songs will go on as Sally is ready to be back. But what can people expect? One thing for sure. It will be a surprise!."

4 stars Flaming Star (2001)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 01 2021 at 01:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 04:30

I Hear the Secret Songs

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 05:33
 4 stars Arrows of Desire (compilation) (2012) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LvjCxtqEs1zUjH7ezNPaMjR

No Heart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2021 at 09:26

Digging for Gold

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 04:04
Mystique: the 17th and last album from Sally Oldfield, although hopefully, it won't turn out to be her final album, if Sally blesses us with another album in the 2020's. Heart

You Set My Gypsy Blood Free (aka: You Set My Tsetse Fly Free) Wink

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2021 at 12:04
5 stars 1996: Secret Songs - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Lsg9GcBvri8vno-AeHUD_v0

The title track from Sally Oldfield's loveliest album together with a beautifully-filmed music video. Heart

Secret Songs

ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 12:15
Strange Day In Berlin holds a special place for me, I've always loved that album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 13:06
Originally posted by ProfPanglos ProfPanglos wrote:

Strange Day In Berlin holds a special place for me, I've always loved that album.
I've never had a strange day in Berlin but I did once have a strange day in Barcelona. Smile
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ProfPanglos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2021 at 16:21
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by ProfPanglos ProfPanglos wrote:

I've never had a strange day in Berlin but I did once have a strange day in Barcelona. Smile

Everybody should have a strange day somewhere!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 16:16
Inspired by Dublin-born Sally Oldfield's appearance in the recent series of Irish polls, this seemed like a good time to revisit this loving tribute to Sally's beautifully sweet folk refrains. It's a time for reflection with Mirrors (her only Top 20 hit) and a Celebration of her gentle Femme folk albums.  I've noticed she doesn't receive the recognition she truly deserves on ProgArchives (mainly because she's overshadowed by her famous younger brother Mike).  Hopefully, this thread will change all that by featuring a favourite song from each of her seventeen albums. Sally's best-known song is of course Mirrors, an Easy-on-the-ears gentle folk refrain from her debut Water Bearer album. There's a certain Mystique attached to Sally Natasha Oldfield's albums, and my Instincts tell me that her Secret Songs will ignite The Flame of passion and Arrows of Desire for her music along The Enchanted Way. Her gorgeous songs are as varied and entertaining as the proverbial Three Rings in a circus on a Strange Day in BerlinHeart Hug Heart

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 26 2023 at 16:16
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>