Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog rock affinity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog rock affinity
    Posted: January 19 2021 at 07:11

I was talking to some of my ESOL students about their tastes in music compared to their parents' tastes. As part of the ESOL lesson, I showed them this video and we haven't stopped talking about prog ever since. What are your affinities with parents and/or kids on this matter ??!

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 07:23
Hi,

Generations are very different and their tastes are dependent on the social environment.

When we came up in the late 60's and then 70's it was the time (in America) for the great run that FM radio had for 10/12 years before it was bought out by the corporate alligators. At that point, a lot of "new music" that eventually became known and appreciated as "progressive" ... all of which were the darlings of FM radio in America, kinda dropped into the bottom of the ocean and FM radio, SINCE, has been nothing but a bunch of sheepdip induced "classic" stuff that is for the most part on tape ... NOT EVEN LIVE ... AND ... worse today's audience doesn't care! It's in the background anyway!

Today, the "control" of radio, or the media is not as valuable as it was then, and the independence makes it difficult for a band to be better known than the others and probably get to a sales level that could rival any of those numbers in the past ... but I think that as the market "matures" that things will change and we will see something new, and probably big, although we probably will say ... it's proto this or that or neo this or that ... because we don't like to think that people can actually enjoy something new and totally different. It's "anti-social" you know?

My children and their friends, actually find that my large library of records and cd's are far out, even if they do not listen to some of that stuff ... and when they are bored with their stuff, guess where they come and ask? I don't tell them anything ... just look at the covers, and decide if you want to listen ... with one bit ... you have to sit there and listen for 20 minutes ... and it has helped their tastes ... many of them have become more attentive to new music, even if they always find "their own" version ... so it's not all "wasted".

I always use the idea that we don't sit here and think that our parents and their parents and anyone else thinks that they were stupid because they listened to Tchaikovsky, Beethoven and Mozart ... and if all we see is that the parents are strange and weird and frustrated hippies that never bucked one of the girls ... really, my friends ... that's another story and has nothing to do with the music!

MUSIC ... just remember that!

Edited by moshkito - January 19 2021 at 07:25
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 07:32
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Generations are very different and their tastes are dependent on the social environment.

When we came up in the late 60's and then 70's it was the time (in America) for the great run that FM radio had for 10/12 years before it was bought out by the corporate alligators. At that point, a lot of "new music" that eventually became known and appreciated as "progressive" ... all of which were the darlings of FM radio in America, kinda dropped into the bottom of the ocean and FM radio, SINCE, has been nothing but a bunch of sheepdip induced "classic" stuff that is for the most part on tape ... NOT EVEN LIVE ... AND ... worse today's audience doesn't care! It's in the background anyway!

Today, the "control" of radio, or the media is not as valuable as it was then, and the independence makes it difficult for a band to be better known than the others and probably get to a sales level that could rival any of those numbers in the past ... but I think that as the market "matures" that things will change and we will see something new, and probably big, although we probably will say ... it's proto this or that or neo this or that ... because we don't like to think that people can actually enjoy something new and totally different. It's "anti-social" you know?

My children and their friends, actually find that my large library of records and cd's are far out, even if they do not listen to some of that stuff ... and when they are bored with their stuff, guess where they come and ask? I don't tell them anything ... just look at the covers, and decide if you want to listen ... with one bit ... you have to sit there and listen for 20 minutes ... and it has helped their tastes ... many of them have become more attentive to new music, even if they always find "their own" version ... so it's not all "wasted".

I always use the idea that we don't sit here and think that our parents and their parents and anyone else thinks that they were stupid because they listened to Tchaikovsky, Beethoven and Mozart ... and if all we see is that the parents are strange and weird and frustrated hippies that never bucked one of the girls ... really, my friends ... that's another story and has nothing to do with the music!

MUSIC ... just remember that!

Hi there. 
Well, when I was young(er) I blended in with both crowds...the ones who listened to music for reasons other than simply music and the ones who were music druggies.

Edited by triptych - January 19 2021 at 07:33
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 08:00
None whatsoever really, my parents were into classical and Perry Como, my sons are more into modern guitar bands that I've never heard of. My intro to prog came from my older sister who borrowed Nursery Cryme from a friend of hers, but strangely she's never been a prog fan.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 08:05
My two younger brothers have no affinity for Prog-Rock whatsoever. Shock horror! They've never even heard of King Crimson, although I'm sure they've both heard of Toyah Wilcox. Tongue
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 08:52
My mum liked easy listening and country music, and my dad liked some classical music and brass band stuff, but never really cared for music that much. Ocassionally there would be a pop song that caught his ear, but bearing in mind he was 41 when I was born in 1969, the 'swinging sixties' meant nothing to him. He'd also had a very conservative upbringing, so was actually horrified at some of my musical tastes as I went into my teens.

I was obsessed with music from a very young age, and slowly grew into prog out of a love of heavy metal in the early 80's. My introduction to prog was Rush and Floyd I guess, but there is no shared family love of my musical choices.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 09:40
My folks have been gone for more than 10 years now, but when I was in my twenties and renting the basement from them my dad heard me listening to ELP, a lot...ok almost non-stop, leave me alone.Big smile

He came to appreciate them and actually said he'd like to see them perform. Unfortunately that never happened.
My mom couldn't stand it, just like Star Trek TOS used to freak her out, " Why is his skin all blue?" in an almost hysterical voice, god bless her.

They both liked and came to a few shows of the band I used to mix, but it as a pub juke box type bar band for the most part. Some prog, mostly R'n'R.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 09:57
My Dad had introduced me to Pink Floyd at a young age. He played DSOTM and WYWH on a regular basis. He was also into the Moody Blues (This Is the Moody Blues was in regular rotation) and ELO (A New World Record, Olé ELO, and Out of the Blue were in regular rotation). He was also into Motown, Big Band, Neil Diamond, and Fats Domino. 

My Mom was also into ELO, but also was a big fan of the Carpenters and disco. When I was a little older and figured out how to use the turntable, I also found a bunch of Beatles records, Pink Floyd's Animals, Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti, and ELO's On the Third Day in their collection. I remember seeing some stuff from Helen Reddy, Steve Miller Band, Three Dog Night, Seals and Crofts, the Doobie Brothers, a bunch of records from the Oldies but Goodies compilation series, and a bunch of K-Tel compilations of 1970s hits.

My Uncle Eddie also was into prog. He loaned my Dad a copy of Yessongs on 8-track and I remember listening to this in the car. I think he was also a fan of 10cc and Jefferson Airplane. The three of them went to an ELO concert together for the Out of the Blue tour. My brother and I were too young to go to that. Uncle Eddie sadly passed away in 1979 in a car accident. My "coming of age" in music came not long after he died and I think we would have had a lot of similar interests in music.

We went as a family to a 1988 Pink Floyd concert together. My brother is also a big Pink Floyd, Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple and Scorpions fan and is more into prog metal than I am.

So it runs in the genes I guess. I'm the only one that gets into the quirky and avant stuff. They think that's just noise.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 10:07
My kids knew that I spent a good deal of my adult life working with straight up rock artists and that prog was an escape for me. You can't listen to some metal band doing 10 takes of some metal song or hard rock song and go home and listen to metal or hard rock music. It's like taking your work home with you. Even if they recorded something great. You just need a change. Lucky or not I never recorded too many prog groups.

Edited by SteveG - January 19 2021 at 10:10
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 10:23
My parents had very conservative 50's style music tastes, I was born in '64 and I don't think I ever heard anything like the Beatles or Rolling Stones. It was all male voice choirs or old hollywood musicals. They couldn't stand anything I was into as a teen. I was stunned when I went round a friends house and her dad's record collection was full of Floyd, Yes, Zeppelin, Sabbath and the like.

My daughters have had differing involvements in my music tastes, the eldest is more into the mainstream classic rock stuff. Though she has been to see King Crimson, Magma & Porcupine Tree with me. The younger one is much more involved. She's into a lot of the stuff I listen to, she has been to Nearfest (her first festival), 2 ProgDays and a Rock In Opposition festival in France. These weren't me dragging her along to events, she'd been begging me to take her for a number of years. I flew her into Boston to see Magma. 

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - January 19 2021 at 10:26
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 10:28
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

My kids knew that I spent a good deal of my adult life working with straight up rock artists and that prog was an escape for me. You can't listen to some metal band doing 10 takes of some metal song or hard rock song and go home and listen to metal or hard rock music. It's like taking your work home with you. Even if they recorded something great. You just need a change. Lucky or not I never recorded too many prog groups.
I'll second this. Anyone who's spent time in a studio or on the road with one act knows this all too well. Although I didn't have kids at the time.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 10:29
Most teens today listen only to Porcupine Tree and Radiohead.. that is their idea of alt prog......OMFG !!!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 11:03
My father had some amazingly good music and actually got me into prog by playing Manfred Mann's Earthband Watch in the car once. I then discovered he had some Novalis, ELP, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull and a few other really good albums. But at the time I became aware of these things he had already stopped listening to prog. Actually he had put in the Watch tape accidentally and didn't even remember who it was! I think he played Novalis and ELP once or twice while I was already consciously interested in music at the age of 14 or so, but that was that. He went into softer things and then classical. OK, to each one his own taste, but it really alienated me a bit from him that while I was discovering all this great stuff, he totally lost his interest.

Oh, and my mother, while not apparently having much of an active interest in music, took my brother and me to the cinema to watch Yellow Submarine even earlier, which was also a big thing for my musical taste. But as my father, while I became a total Beatles fan for a few years, and she supported that, herself she wouldn't listen to them much. I think she picked Yellow Submarine not because it meant that much to her, but rather because she somehow had the correct intuition that we may like it.

Edited by Lewian - January 19 2021 at 11:07
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 11:53
The closet to prog my mum and dad came was Abba, which is to say, not very prog. But, like SW, I can definitely identify the progressive nature of Abba’s pop music, and their enjoyment of Abba transferred down to me. I can’t say I listen to Abba these days, and I couldn’t tell you when I last did (it would be years ago), but for sure, I think that was part of my grounding in and entry to prog, even if it were not actually prog per se.

Apart from Abba, the only music I can remember my dad listening to is Simon & Garfunkel and Neil Diamond, who again I still appreciate to this day (though I have only Simon & Garfunkel in my own collection, and no Neil Diamond). My mum listened to classical music, but I couldn’t tell you exactly what. The music intrigued me, but bewildered me as much. I was too young, I think to be able to fully appreciate what she was listening to. The closest I came to appreciating classical music back then was my love for the soundtrack to Empire Strikes Back. That is, not much.

I honestly don’t think there was any one person that put me onto prog. A lot of it came from vaguely prog-related stuff like Bowie and Queen, who I loved from the radio, and whose albums I would buy when I was finally able to buy my own music. Pink Floyd and Genesis I came to from their radio hits, which were more often than not their less than proggy offerings. My first Pink Floyd album was Momentary Lapse and my first Genesis album was Invisible Touch, which gives you an idea of when I started buying music for myself.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 13:03
Thankfully my parents were not into the Beatles, so I blame them for me not listening to them growing up, and today Tongue
My mom has always been into pop music but she also understands who I listen to, mainly Rush and EW&F growing up. My dad was into latin music and classical music, the closest he came to pop music was for some reason he liked Donna Summers, especially album Bad Girls....strange.

As far as my kids they know who I listen to they have seen Rush at least 3x with wife and I. My oldest son was into Iron Maiden, he has seen them 2x and saw Haken, Leprous with me. My other 2 sons have seen Iron Maiden several times, it's not music they listen to regularly but they love going to the Maiden live shows, I mean who does not!! My youngest son saw Riverside with me couple yrs ago.........but for the most part they listen to rap, country and classic rock...middle son goes to country festivals all the time.

I'm glad they are varied in what they listen to.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 13:42
My parents were into classical music and my dad despised rock music and looked down on most pop music. The only thing he would share his utter derision for more than the Beatles was Louis Mountbatten and pineapple on pizza.

Funnily enough, one of his best friends was a lyricist in soundtrack pop music and for a time after he left military intelligence my dad managed a music hall. We would often have small classical music concerts in the house when growing up, but playing rock music in the house would have been almost taboo (not that my brother cared and he exposed me to lots of stuff). So I got used to keeping my music to myself (or when at friends' houses I'd listen to what they listened to -- they got me into Zep, Cream, Yes, CCR etc.).

My children don't like my music, and I haven't tried to push it on them -- they haven't shown any interest. My son isn't really into music although he sometimes makes music for fun on his computer (he's a maths and sciences nerd). My other child listens to certain kinds of pop stuff used for making videos.

My Australian grandma, who I didn't know very well, loved ABBA, as does my wife. I like ABBA too.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 14:15
My Dad was into Jazz and big band music and secretly always wanted to be a drummer (his heros were Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa) but he was unimpressed by 'Pop' music (you call that lyrics?? its all 'Baby, baby, baby..') We did talk about Jazz later, before he died and my interests and explorations into jazz came out of those conversations.

My Mum liked fairly easy listening and light classics though did admit (later) that she did find 'some' of the music i played 'interesting'.. althouh she didnt play any instruments she came from a family who had various classical musicians amongst them and it turned out after her death that she had secretly been writing poetry and certainly was someone moved deeply by Art.

Both my kids play instruments and have been involved in music; not so much my daughter nowadays is too busy with children and other interests but my son plays in a number of bands, records, produces  and collaborates with other bands and musicians. His taste is very wide and although much of what i'm into, he isnt, there are certain lps and bands we do enjoy and he will listen to my recommendations and we have a good, open discussion about it. Its great! i'm lucky dad and it gives me a great buzz to sit and talk music with him.

We saw Rush as a family on the 'time machine' tour which was great fun and my daughter (in her mid 30's) used to come with me to festivals like Cropredy and was going to take a masters degree in english folk music at Newcastle (but didnt in the end..)

An honourable mention for my older brother who first brought home cassettes by Focus, Mike Oldfield, Camel, Yes and so really was the one who introduced me to progressive rock.

Edited by Cosmiclawnmower - January 19 2021 at 14:19

Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 14:18
Both my parents were Country and Western fans. They tolerated rock music as long as it had lyrics and basic song structures, but once I started listening to Prog, Jazz, J/R Fusion, and Classical, my mom asked me why I was listening to that "long-haired music." So, no musical affinities between generations there.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 15:53
Haha!  The influence of my parents on my taste for Prog Rock??   ZIP.

My Dad grew up in the 50's, and still likes some 50's rock--particularly light pop tunes.

My Mom listens to almost nothing but Classical (occasionally some crooners, or Ukrainian folk that she used to dance to).  She did have some influence on me for Classical music, as she used to be a skilled pianist and played some of the more difficult Chopin (Polonaises, Mazurkas and such). Largely due to this influence, Chopin is still my favorite classical artist.

Needless to say, they mostly dislike my taste in Prog Rock, although they sometimes listen in to my prog radio programs (more out of courtesy and/or to hear my voice than anything).  Mom's already told me she can't stand most of the music, and Dad has made no comments at all.

(& I have no children).

Edited by zwordser - January 19 2021 at 16:01
Z
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 16:07
My mom and dad were into Türk Sanat Müziği (Turkish Art Music) mostly. My father is supremely talented in music and he even learned to play the violin without any help or education, together with several other string instruments like cumbush and oud. His voice is also awesome. I think I got my talent in music from him. My mum is just the opposite. Zero talent! Haha. (Though she is very good at drawing and painting, and my dad, like me, has no interest in those and probably no talent too.)

My older and only brother and I were sharing the same tastes in music for a long time, but he got into the Pink Floyd depression in his teens, and I chose the metal mania. So, I still can watch horror movies and my bro cannot. We are like day and night with my brother now. Though, he began to listen to metal again and is still listening. Yet, he likes folk metal and stuff, that I have almost zero interest in.

What was the question, prog rock affinity? Well, I can say I met Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd's earlier albums  thanks to my brother. (I bought The Division Bell myself, my first acquaintance with their albums. I loved and still love High hopes, but the rest of the album was boring for me.) Anyway, I loved prog rock in the 2000s via the internet. 

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 19 2021 at 16:18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>