Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog rock affinity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 06:29
^ Xanadu might seem cheesy to some people too, but it just happens to be my favourite musical, and even better, it's listed on ProgArchives too. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 21 2021 at 06:30
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 07:10
Also, my dad still says The Who are far and away THE loudest band he's ever seen/heard live.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 07:16
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ Xanadu might seem cheesy to some people too, but it just happens to be my favourite musical, and even better, it's listed on ProgArchives too. Thumbs Up

might? LOL

it's listed on PA because ELO is part of the soundtrack LOL
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 10:35
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Also, my dad still says The Who are far and away THE loudest band he's ever seen/heard live.

Back in the day, they were. The only two bands I saw who came close to matching them were Rainbow and Motörhead.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 10:50
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Back in the day, they were. The only two bands I saw who came close to matching them were Rainbow and Motörhead.
I always knew there was a head banger under that prog exterior!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
IndigoStar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IndigoStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 09:07
I was brought up in a house where I was exposed to Led Zep, Genesis, Tangerine Dream, Mike Oldfield, Cream, Supertramp, Peter Gabriel. I was born in the early 70s and I still love music from that era - not specifically showing affinity to any one band (although Supertramp & Genesis are up there) but there's certainly a sound and feeling that I gravitate towards.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 23:12
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Motorhead was legendarily loud, I'd argue louder than Rainbow in the 80's once they picked up after Ace of Spades.

Also, I THINK ManoWar held the record for single-loudest band/vocal/note etc. for quite some time?

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 23:33
Both of my parents liked Country and Western, and my mom's favorite became "Easy Listening". 

So, my musical tastes were almost in opposition. But, I remember playing Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime in my living room right after I bought it, and hearing my mom saying "That is very good music." 

So, who knows, right? 
-John
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 04:17

When ELP played in Barcelona in '74, in a medium-size basketball stadium, during the sound check the sound broke most of the windows.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 05:10

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Motorhead was legendarily loud, I'd argue louder than Rainbow in the 80's once they picked up after Ace of Spades.

Also, I THINK ManoWar held the record for single-loudest band/vocal/note etc. for quite some time?

Ha! Reminds me of when i saw Motorhead on the Bomber tour! i was right up the front but got stuck near the PA.. i literally couldnt hear for three days after that- just white noise! UFO were pretty loud when i saw them too.. its amazing after a youth of loud music, an incident involving a home- made explosive and a (until relatively recently) a lifetime of riding large single and twin cylinder motorcycles that i can hear at all!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345