Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog rock affinity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 04:46
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Yesterday I was enjoying reading everyone's comments on what kinds of music their parents and family members listened to. Can we please get back to that?

Exactly this^. If you want to have a scrap, PM each other please and let the rest of us debate in peace. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 04:54
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

Yesterday I was enjoying reading everyone's comments on what kinds of music their parents and family members listened to. Can we please get back to that?

Exactly this^. If you want to have a scrap, PM each other please and let the rest of us debate in peace. 

Clap
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 04:54

Absolutely. My two sons went in very different musical directions. One into 80s/90s hard rock and metal with Rush thrown in, the other into classical. My parents were into the left wing folk of the late 50s/early 60s, which rubbed off on me. Untill I heard Purple Haze by Hendrix.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 04:59

FINALLY.....TY...
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 05:03
Lots of my students including the girls are getting into prog and rock in general ...since the topic of prog was introduced with the video, the kids are asking me to speak about other, more obscure prog bands.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 05:05
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Absolutely. My two sons went in very different musical directions. One into 80s/90s hard rock and metal with Rush thrown in, the other into classical. My parents were into the left wing folk of the late 50s/early 60s, which rubbed off on me. Untill I heard Purple Haze by Hendrix.

Funnily enough, I think that was what (almost) everyone was saying. There is no right or wrong I music, and never can be. My musical tastes are completely different from my parents, my brothers, and my wife’s. For the moment, to use the wording of the OP, my children have an affinity for prog, because they’re still quite young, and haven’t necessarily made all their own choices yet.

I was reminded the other day, thanks to FB Memories, of a time when as hard as I tried, all my eldest daughter wanted to listen to was Procol Harum’s “Whisky Train”. She called music “parties”, and I was trying to play some different “parties” I thought she might like. She went to my cd rack, pushed it around with great effort (it is heavy for an adult to turn, so must have been a mammoth task for her), found “Home”, pulled it out and declared “I like this one, Daddy, don’t I?”

At that time, her second favourite song was Opeth’s “Ghost of Perdition”, and her third favourite was Katy Perry’s “Roar”.

Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 05:34

Here, here. I leave for work and come back hoping to read more stories...
Never experienced a slap fight on this site quite like that one though...lmao
Prog is great but it's nothing to blow your head off over..

Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 05:40
Yes, but it's time to stop talking about it and get back to the topic.

Edited by SteveG - January 20 2021 at 05:41
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 06:40
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I was reminded the other day, thanks to FB Memories, of a time when as hard as I tried, all my eldest daughter wanted to listen to was Procol Harum’s “Whisky Train”. She called music “parties”, and I was trying to play some different “parties” I thought she might like. She went to my cd rack, pushed it around with great effort (it is heavy for an adult to turn, so must have been a mammoth task for her), found “Home”, pulled it out and declared “I like this one, Daddy, don’t I?”

At that time, her second favourite song was Opeth’s “Ghost of Perdition”, and her third favourite was Katy Perry’s “Roar”.

I went back to have a look, just how long ago this was. It was 13 January 2013, so Ruby would have been three, almost four. I asked her again now if she still liked Whisky Train. She said it’s alright but she got a bit bored of it. Opeth? Yes, she still likes them. Katy Perry? Not really, anymore. Little Mix (who she loved at one point, and went to see live)? They’re alright still, but not really. What does she think she likes most from my music now? Don’t know. Probably David Bowie. But she did add that she likes a lot of it, but doesn’t actually know what it is she’s listening to.

—-//—-

Tried to add some variety to tonight's parties, but after a song or two, Ruby asked if we could have different parties and went and brought Procol Harum's Home to me. "I like this one, don't I Daddy?"

triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 06:55

Right on Thumbs Up

I gave my students an essay to do and this is what a 19-year old student wrote:

"Progressive rock implies a particular mindset in recording and performing music, an predisposition to test established limits and boundaries. Stylistically speaking, progressive rock is all over the map. Pioneering artists, unfettered by preconceived notions of the status quo, can be found within all musical categories.

Furthermore, the means by which an artist displays "progressive" leanings may vary according to the presence of one (or more) of the following features:

(1) complex, often lengthy, compositions

(2) virtuostic performances

(3) exotic and/or eclectic instrumentation

The Beatles' release of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band, represented a watershed development in the development of the genre. In retrospect, examples of progressive rock can be identified as existing prior to that album's appearance in June 1967, ranging from Elvis Presley's early rockabilly experiments to the Byrds' folk rock classics recorded between 1965-1967. However, post-Sgt. Pepper works tended to exude a seriousness of purpose (i.e., the consideration of aesthetics over the commercial marketplace) hitherto relegated to the jazz and classical music sectors. The emergence of rock journalism, largely built around young intellectuals who had grown up listening to rock 'n' roll and other popular music genres, helped to spread the gospel of highbrow rock art. The youth subculture, then preoccupied with weighty social matters such as civil rights and the anti-Vietnam War movement, wholeheartedly bought into the concept.

The concept album represented a notable subgenre within the progressive rock movement. In view of the increased profit-making potential of the long-playing twelve-inch record (which generally included ten to fourteen songs and ranged in length from thirty to fifty minutes) over forty-five r.p.m. singles, record companies concentrated their promotional efforts toward establishing the l.p. as the primary mode of aesthetic expression within the rock scene. Accordingly, rock musicians began experimenting with ways of presenting a unified thematic message (both in the music and song lyrics) within the framework of a record album.

Edited by triptych - January 21 2021 at 03:23
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 07:06
Originally posted by triptych triptych wrote:

Right on Thumbs Up

I gave my students an essay to do and this is what a 19-year old student wrote:

"<span style="font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: medium;">Progressive rock implies a particular mindset in recording and performing music, an predisposition to test established limits and boundaries. Stylistically speaking, progressive rock is all over the map. Pioneering artists, unfettered by preconceived notions of the status quo, can be found within all musical categories.</span>
<p style="font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: medium;">Furthermore, the means by which an artist displays "progressive" leanings may vary according to the presence of one (or more) of the following features:

<p style="font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: medium;">(1) complex, often lengthy, compositions

<p style="font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: medium;">(2) virtuostic performances

<p style="font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: medium;">(3) exotic and/or eclectic instrumentation

<p style="font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: medium;">The Beatles' release of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band, represented a watershed development in the development of the genre. In retrospect, examples of progressive rock can be identified as existing prior to that album's appearance in June 1967, ranging from Elvis Presley's early rockabilly experiments to the Byrds' folk rock classics recorded between 1965-1967. However, post-Sgt. Pepper works tended to exude a seriousness of purpose (i.e., the consideration of aesthetics over the commercial marketplace) hitherto relegated to the jazz and classical music sectors. The emergence of rock journalism, largely built around young intellectuals who had grown up listening to rock 'n' roll and other popular music genres, helped to spread the gospel of highbrow rock art. The youth subculture, then preoccupied with weighty social matters such as civil rights and the anti-Vietnam War movement, wholeheartedly bought into the concept.

<p style="font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: medium;">The concept album represented a notable subgenre within the progressive rock movement. In view of the increased profit-making potential of the long-playing twelve-inch record (which generally included ten to fourteen songs and ranged in length from thirty to fifty minutes) over forty-five r.p.m. singles, record companies concentrated their promotional efforts toward establishing the l.p. as the primary mode of aesthetic expression within the rock scene. Accordingly, rock musicians began experimenting with ways of presenting a unified thematic message (both in the music and song lyrics) within the framework of a record album.

Fantastic! I just hope that he's a prog fan now.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 08:07
My parents had no influence on my enjoyment of music. They both listened to classical music and songs from the great era of American Musicals from the '50s. I didn't dislike that sort of music, but they despised rock and pop music, even so far as mocking it, which did rub off as I only really started to like my owns styles as a teen. As a kid they dragged me off to the movies to see The Sound of Music - I still hate that film to this day. Oddly I now like some classical, particularly Russian composers who my father favoured and whilst I can't bear stage musicals I do like the older stuff (Carousel, Oklahoma etc.)
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 08:32
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

My parents had no influence on my enjoyment of music. They both listened to classical music and songs from the great era of American Musicals from the '50s. I didn't dislike that sort of music, but they despised rock and pop music, even so far as mocking it, which did rub off as I only really started to like my owns styles as a teen. As a kid they dragged me off to the movies to see The Sound of Music - I still hate that film to this day. Oddly I now like some classical, particularly Russian composers who my father favoured and whilst I can't bear stage musicals I do like the older stuff (Carousel, Oklahoma etc.)
My parents liked the old musicals too. Luckily, they never dragged me to The Sound Of Music, but did like Yellow Submarine.
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 08:53

Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

My parents liked the old musicals too. Luckily, they never dragged me to The Sound Of Music, but did like Yellow Submarine.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 20:35
I inherited my music junkiedom from my father. He’s always had a ton of records (and later, CDs; now he also buys hi-res digital files). Although his primary jam was and is jazz music, he’s always had a pretty healthy interest in rock too, and he tends more towards the proggier side of things. I have very early memories of hearing albums like Hot Rats and Caravanserai, and he and I both became pretty dedicated Camel fans in the late 70s, after the local Miami rock station (“Zeta 4” was its nickname, I recall) played their entire “Breathless” album (they always played a full album at noon on Saturdays, and my dad would have the tape deck ready). He and I still trade CDs back and forth, and take several trips a year to record stores together (in the pre-Covid days).

My daughter (15) was exposed to a lot of Beatles at a very young age (just like I and her mother was) so I think the rest should take care of itself. She has next to zero interest in most of the music I listen to, but at least her upbringing and living in our household all this time has impressed on her that music in general is good enough a pursuit to be taken seriously. She’s quite a connoisseur of musicals (something I don’t particularly care for). There are SO many musicals out now, you wouldn’t believe it. Nearly all of them are really quirky, ironic, absurd, or some combination of these things. I think I like the direction her generation’s underground humor is going.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 21:00

Luckily, they never dragged me to The Sound Of Music

Sound of music is a classic movie with great music. Sure, most of us have seen it a hundred times over in our lives, but most songs in that film are fantastic. Well written, timeless and memorable.

I get it might seem cheesy to most, but I still love it. Although West Side Story and Oklahoma are just as good imo.

Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 23:48
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

Sound of music is a classic movie with great music. Sure, most of us have seen it a hundred times over in our lives, but most songs in that film are fantastic. Well written, timeless and memorable.

I get it might seem cheesy to most, but I still love it. Although West Side Story and Oklahoma are just as good imo.

I agree...and I prefer West Side Story (probably because my fav actress Natalie Wood starred in it).
I remember buying the WSS s/t along with Kimono My House and Steppenwolf live as a kid; for me it was normal even though I knew WSS was quite AOR.

Edited by triptych - January 20 2021 at 23:50
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 01:08
My father saw Yes on the CTTE AND Relayer tours in Boston, as well as PF on Animals tour, etc. Cream, etc.

"Back then, we just called it rock and roll, and it was all awesome! Yes was something special though!" - My dad Cool

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 04:27
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

My father saw Yes on the CTTE AND Relayer tours in Boston, as well as PF on Animals tour, etc. Cream, etc.

"Back then, we just called it rock and roll, and it was all awesome! Yes was something special though!" - My dad Cool
Thumbs Up
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 05:33
Originally posted by Spacegod87 Spacegod87 wrote:

Being from NYC, I'm more of a WS Story fan, but I understand why people like TSoM and I'm not inocking it. It's the movie equivalent of listening to ABBA. I just love Dancing Queen.

Edited by SteveG - January 21 2021 at 05:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>