Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 10 Influential Albums from the Pre-Teens

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 16:36
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

@nick_h_nz

^ Google says that childhood is till the age of 12 or 13. Actually I VERY RARELY like or love an album, that I initially don't like. Also this is not limited to music. I can confidently defend my childhood and teenage years' tastes, with very few exceptions. I guess I cannot come up with even 10 examples of my tastes in anything that I today say, "Wow, how did I ever find it cool?!"

That was the point of this exercise, I think? I love every album that I listed. When I changed my collection from cassette to CD, much of my cassette collection never was upgraded, most of these selections did get purchased on CD, so, eg, I did buy The Wombles on CD, and it sits proudly in my shelves with the rest of my collection,

I have no guilty pleasures. I might not own everything I listened to back then, but there’s nothing that I would ever question why I liked it, either. You seem to be merely reiterating how I feel. 🤗

Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 16:40
Thumbs Up
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2021 at 16:48
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Pre-Teen? Yikes! Probably T-Rex, Slade & Sweet.

I started buying prog albums from age 11 (and they were my first "rock" albums too), so I'll have to count as earlier than "teens" years, as below 11 or even earlier umpon my arrival in Canada), instead ot 13.

Before that I knew The Stones, The Beatles, Jacques Brel, Claude Nougaro, and a few other popier french singers ... and Jethro Tull, but I owned no album, nor did the concept of "albums" meant antything for me.

Were those tastes influential later in my life? I'm not sure - don't really think so, though I still like most of it.

Edited by Sean Trane - January 19 2021 at 16:55
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2021 at 04:36
Prior to arriving at Grammar School, I had very little access to music, so 11 - 13 were the formative years for me. On the plus side, I went to Grammar School in 1964, so that was a pretty good time to get into popular music!! 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 15:19
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'm with you on Split Enz. The earlier albums are my favourites, but at the time I had not heard those and doubt that I would have appreciated those as much as a pre-teen. That album also has the distinction of being the first one I listened to on a Walkman, and I skied while listening to it soon after (I skied an awful lot while growing up but would rarely listen to music while skiing). It wasn't until I was considerably older that I heard any of the other Enz albums.

Have you heard ENZSO? Eddie Rayner rearranged Split Enz songs for the NZSO, and they were performed with various NZ singers, including Tim and Neil Finn. Some of the new arrangements are startlingly different, but really good (eg I See Red), while others aren’t changed too much, but still sound so very different just because of the orchestration.

The most recent anniversary tour as captured on 2cd “Extravagenza” is also well worth it, if you can find it.

I’m impressed you can remember what you first listened to on a Walkman. I have absolutely no definite memory of what I first listened to, although I have a funny feeling it may have been the Labyrinth soundtrack. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sorry, I missed this before. I haven't heard that, at least not that I recall. Will check it out anon.

I am often seemingly much better at remembering things from decades ago than over the last few years (I have a better long-term memory than short-term). Mind you, the memory is the memory of the last time I remembered it, and the time before and so on and so every time it is a sort of re-construction. While memories are often not very reliable, I do remember the Walkman incident, where I was listening to it (where in the back yard), what I listened to, the weather and related conversation very well. And then skiing while using a Walkman was memorable. I didn't find that altogether safe (important to hear what's around you). I also remember the first time I saw Labryinth very well (on video with a friend).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 10:06
There were no pre teen albums in my life because that was around 1962-1963 ( age 11-12) and my parents only lstened to people like Sinatra, Presley, Doris Day , etc and I didn't pay much attention....though The Beatles came out in 1963-4 (age 12- 13) so my brother and I did enjoy that and we started to notice the British Invasion then...as well as American pop stars like Roy Orbison, Beach Boys, Leslie Gore, etc.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 11:17
I had older siblings that had a big influence on my musical tastes. 
Some of the albums I remember checking out were:

Renaissance - Live at Carnegie Hall
 The Who - Tommy
 Yes - The Yes Album
 Grateful Dead - American Beauty
 Jefferson Airplane  - Volunteers
 New Riders of the Purple Sage - N.R.P.S 
 Joan Baez  - Diamonds & Rust
 Bob Dyaln  - Greatest Hits
 ELO - Eldorado
 Buddy Rich - Live in London

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 15:18
I came across music via my elder brother. He is exactly 10 years older than me; we were both born Jan 27th. Same or very close birthdays are a kind of family thing with me. My mother's birthday was Oct 30th, her younger sister was born Oct 29th. Both her brothers were born Jul 20th. My father was born Oct 31st.

My brother often had to babysit me, and I listened to all the stuff he and his friends heard while smoking hashish (which I involuntarily inhaled too). This is why Krautrock is one of my favourite genres.

Edited by BaldFriede - January 26 2021 at 15:24

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 16:45
Pre teens for me(and probably one other person on here)means before 1983(spring of 83 for me). I was mostly into pop music and singles so probably not many albums but here's a few I think that made it under the wire:

The Beatles - sgt. Peppers(given to me as a present by a family friend on my 8th birthday who knew I liked the Beatles).

The Beatles - the white album (family album so not really mine in the strictest sense)

The Beatles - Red album (ditto above)

The Beatles - Blue album (ditto above)

Journey - Escape (I was going to buy either this or the first Asia album when I rode my bike to the record store-I wound up buying this one though).

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti - I aquired it on vinyl through a record club thing and later taped it. Not sure if it was mine or my brothers. I eventually getting really big into LZ and bought all their other stuff on cassette. 

Rush - Signals (I'm pretty sure I bought this on tape before the end of 1982 but not sure. Probably before I turned 13 though). 

Duran Duran - RIO (not sure how old I was when I bought it on cassette but "hungry like the wolf" was one of my favorte songs at the time). 

Foreigner - 4 ( I had it on cassette but not sure when I bought it exactly but possibly when I was still 12).

J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame (I was big into these guys on the strength of the song "centerfold" and they were my first real concert). 

Ok, I was able to squeeze out ten. To be honest I really wasn't that much into music until the tail end of my pre-teens and even then it was mostly radio and singles. I had cassette tapes or vinyl albums by Quiet Riot, A flock of seagulls, Styx, Men at work, Foreigner, Def Leppard, Journey, Yes(90215), The Police, ZZ Top, Van Halen, AC/DC, The Who and maybe a few others but those were all when I was 13 or older I think. 

I also had Van Halen's diver down on cassette but don't remember much about it at the time. 

Out of the ones I listed I currently have all on cd except for three of the Beatles(I have SPLHCB)and JGB and that particular LZ album. Looks like I have some shopping to do.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 16:54
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Wow, 13 years old is "childhood"? I was definitely masturbating then! LOL

Then, things change. Lots of metal albums...

Metallica - Kill 'Em All (the inception of my metalhead self)
Megadeth - Youthanasia
Sepultura - Chaos A.D.
Metallica - The Black Album
Scorpions - Face the Heat
Obituary - The End Complete (should be before I was 13)
etc...
Also there was a Turkish music magazine named Walkman, and with all its issues we were getting a mixed-cassette giveaway. I met Snow - Informer and Ugly Kid Joe - Cats in the Cradle in those.

Thanks for sharing that with us but please don't post the video here. WinkLOL A pre teen who likes metal? Some things never change. Some people never outgrow it either. However, I probably like metal now(then known as "heavy metal")more than I did when I was teen(or pre teen).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 26 2021 at 16:54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12