Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The PA Happy Birthday Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 10:33
Some really funny posts here Steve! Even the great Max Boyce couldn't have made a better job of them!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 10:37
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Some really funny posts here Steve! Even the great Max Boyce couldn't have made a better job of them!

Thanks, David.

Oggi, Oggi, Oggi, eh? Oi, Oi, Oi! He lives not that far from here, Glynneath to be precise, just off Port Toilet. Nice bloke, but has an extremely annoying tendency to love Welsh rugby, unfortunately LOL
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 11:39
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Oggi, Oggi, Oggi, eh? Oi, Oi, Oi! He lives not that far from here, Glynneath to be precise, just off Port Toilet. Nice bloke, but has an extremely annoying tendency to love Welsh rugby, unfortunately LOL
Lol! I'll never forget the story he told on one of his old TV shows about The Reverend Goronwy Roberts refereeing a rugby match. There's a 'sound only' version of it on YouTube, but his visual antics and facial expressions made the story even funnier on TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAkpEMypVuw.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2021 at 07:36
Well today, we have another Mexican chap as our star turn, excepting that our hero today doesn’t self-identify as wanting to either eat or jump on top of every Señorita in the land. Nope, today we send our very best wishes to someone who I hope has a pretty fair chance of seeing this, or at least might benefit from a few visits to his radio station. 

So, felicitations and Hasta La Vista, Baby, to Cercadelaorilla who celebrates his 40th birthday today. Cerca joined us in 2012, and last made a visit to promote his radio station in 2019. Here is a link to his homepage, from where you can find said radio station, which I am sure will be of interest to all of you with Latin American tendencies; Cerca de la Orilla

Elsewhere, in a historic first for the Birthday Thread, we give a huge shoutout to Ben Zughban, or Fathi as he is known to Mum and Dad. Fatty hails from Libya, which, one has to admit, is not particularly well known for its love of prog amongst the general public, but for rather more sinister goings on, but it just goes to show the global reach of our site and music. Unfortunately, Fatty didn’t provide us with the benefit of any of his wisdom in the single month of 2012 he joined us in, and his homepage is no longer live.

That, though, does not stop us shouting out Eid Milad Saeed to our friend. Come back, Fatty, and, please, especially in these challenging lurgy times, don’t overdo the birthday cake or pies.

Once again, no active collab birthdays to report today. It really is getting to the stage where questions will have to be asked, public enquiries put in place, and a prog reseeding policy put in place.

Lastly, if you very kind people will allow me a little bit of self-indulgence, today would have been the 110th birthday of my beloved grandfather. John Dickson Lazenby was born 24 January 1911. He was the senior NCO in charge of the anti-aircraft batteries in Valletta, Malta, during the siege of the island by Germany, and if any of you should happen to visit the island’s War Museum, you will see his medals and photo on display, on the absolutely serious grounds that he would surely haunt them endlessly if they were locked in a drawer. He is very much missed. Happy birthday, Grandad.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2021 at 13:52
Another interesting post Laz. And kudos to your Grand Dad. Defending Malta was no cake walk. The tiny island was nearly bombed into Oblivion during the height of the war in North Africa and many should know about it's brave defenders. So here's to the memory of John Dickens Lazenby.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2021 at 14:28

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Another interesting post Laz. And kudos to your Grand Dad. Defending Malta was no cake walk. The tiny island was nearly bombed into Oblivion during the height of the war in North Africa and many should know about it's brave defenders. So here's to the memory of John Dickens Lazenby.

Thank you, Steve. You know, he never once spoke to me about those experiences. Not once, no matter how many times I nagged him as a child. And his wife, my grandmother (Annunziata, or Lucy to all who knew her), when I nagged a bit too much, or when I asked her about the war, always said that there were certain things that should not be spoken about, especially to children. They were terrible times, and her profound wish was that God would never allow such things to happen again (as a devout Catholic, she very much believed that God would answer those prayers).

I do, though, remember one striking thing he said to me. I was an Air Cadet (the junior Royal Air Force) from 14 to 18 when I joined the RAF. I went to a Remembrance Day parade, as we were under strict orders to do. When it had finished, I went to the pub to have a pint with him, as he never missed his lunchtime constitutional beer. I asked him why he never went to the parades as a veteran. He told me that the vast majority of people who went along, with their stories of “derring do”, were men who had never seen proper combat. The men who shouted loudest about their bravery, or how we should make Britain great again, had never really had to go through the pain, anguish, and sheer terror of war. Worst still were the politicians who hypocritically sent people to war without ever having to take part themselves.

I have never forgotten that, and as I have grown older, that has had more of an influence on me than most other things. He was right. The true heroes were very quiet men who reflected in their own private way, and certainly never glamourised or pretended that such conflict was a noble endeavour, but simply a fact of the human condition.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2021 at 14:41
A fantastic insight to the truth of how real heroes act and conduct themselves. I always feel that those of that generation were made of better stuff, especially in regards to their humbleness after living through the real hell of war.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2021 at 11:40
Today, we are off to San Jose in the sunny state of California, and to share in the joyous occasion of the 77th birthday of charlessmall18, better known to his family as Charles H Small. What the H stands for, we can only guess at, I am afraid, but why not Herman? Pithy and suitably cryptic.

Charles is, or hopefully at the very least happily retired, an editor, although a Google search did not yield any further information. This, though, may well be down to one of his listed interests, namely MP3 pirating, which I think many personages here on the site would regard in an even more ill manner than our cannibal friend the other day. At least the rump muncher doesn’t steal honest musicians royalties! I can hear the cry now....Alcatraz is too bloody good for the likes of him.

Charles has other interests as well. HDTV and motorcycling, although it is not altogether clear whether he indulges in both at the same time. Actually, it could be all three at once, I suppose. Streaming one’s nicked music to a lovely screen perched on the front of one’s Harley Davidson. Works for me.

The second post wee Chas made was, in fact, a very informative one, telling those of us in the world of prog that, I quote, “It’s illegal to wear headphones while driving in California. Check with the Highway Patrol to find out the law in your state”. This nugget of information was imparted to us in May 2010, and prompted me to call our local constabulary in the Land of the Sheep immediately to wonder whether my lovely wife (I don’t drive) could wear her buds whilst grooving to the beautific sound of Gaga whilst transporting her husband to the boozer, if they were open. Funnily enough, I was told to expect a visit from Police Constable Plod in the near future, no doubt to pay me a visit to explain the rigours of road safety!

Charles was with us from May 2010 to February 2011, and made a grand total of 2 posts in that time.

So! Let us hope that Charles can hear the premium prog site on planet Earth shouting out to him Happy Birthday, man! 

Elsewhere in progland, I am afraid that I am still unable to wish any collaborator felicitations on the day they popped out of Mummy. The contraceptive pill was obviously extraordinarily well used amongst your parents.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 10:24
Today, we bring a spiritual dimension to the site, something which I am fully aware that all of you godless heathens are really in dire need of.

For today we wish, firstly, a huge happy birthday to a genuine man of the cloth. Mykethecelt attains his 64th birthday today. Myke self describes as a Celt in his site name, so I assume there is some Scottish, Welsh, or Irish ancestry in there somewhere, but Myke Karr, as he is better known to his flock, is a spiritual minister. His interests are, appropriately for a chap known to break bread with the almighty, God, music, reasons, and life. 

Even better for a prog site, his ministry includes a direct link to our beloved art form. Yes, the reverend is a genuine, pukka alumni of The Moody Bible Institute. Formed in 1886, when Justin Hayward, John Lodge, and colleagues had only just commenced their long and glorious journey to dinosaurs of prog status, this exalted body prepares its students for the arduous task of preparing the heathen masses for the coming and message of Christ. A look at the website is simply inspirational; Alumni US | Moody Bible Institute, Greater Chicago Area 

The vicar joined us on 20 June 2009, and spent just under an hour in our company without, alas, attempting to convert the inconvertible with any of his wisdom. As a god fearing chap myself, I regard this as a terrible loss to the community.

This notwithstanding, let us shout out felix sit natalis dies to our minister, although he probably wouldn’t appreciate this much if he were a radical Presbyterian and not a left footer such as yours truly. Never mind. We are all one under the Lord!

We also have another towering religious figure celebrating his birthday on the site today, and it’s only a bloody Pope! Yes, a true pontiff, in the guise of Paulo V, or Paul the Fifth as he is surely known to his English speaking followers. Paulo Vajao is 54 today, which strikes me as a rather distastefully young age to be elevated to the pontificate, and worse still when there are still two of the illuminati still alive. Paulo is 54 today, and he hails from Lisbon. His signature exclaims to us that he is always taking the point with the dawn patrol fraternity, which I think should give us all a measure of comfort given his calling, and what is even better is that Paulo still visits us. He even came on today! This, as you can imagine, is giving your author no small measure of massive excitement. He might even see and hear us all shouting out:

Parabéns a você, Paulo. Have a fantastic day, my friend!

And there is more. Yes, we have, after days of drought and famine, to the point that there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth, more collab birthdays.

Firstly, a very special shout out to our great friend, and a superb Special Collaborator on the site, Bonnek, or Karl as his parents named him 50 years ago today in Belgium. It is fair to say that Karl likes his prog ‘eavy. Yep, really ‘eavy, as he is a special part of the Prog Metal team here on PA, and I have to say an exceptional reviewer. All the best, Karl. We love you, and I am especially grateful to mum and dad for having the foresight to break our birthday drought. They did well, son!

But that is not all. Just like buses rushing along after waiting for an interminable time, we have another collab birthday. The Crow, or José to give his real name, is a Prog Reviewer on the site, and another fine one. José hails from Spain, and he is 38 today. Happy birthday to Mr Crow!

And last, but absolutely not least, Polo’s Lair, or John Poloyannis as he was imaginatively named by his parents, is 61 today. John hails from Australia, and joined us two years ago, with his last visit only a week ago. Strewth! Have a bonzer day, Bruce. Fair dinkum, and all that jazz.

Blimey! I am bloody knackered after that. Time for Mr Laz to retire with a beer and a prayer for his poor, tormented soul. At least today I know that there are people to hear me!

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 12:29
With the "spiritual minister's" paltry 1 hour here on the site in the distant past, I think I can join my brethern and sistern of the prog congregation in quoting Ashton Kutcher's timeless query...

Dude, where's Myke Karr? 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2021 at 16:45
Laz, I'm not sure if you need beer or oxigen after that one but keep them coming.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2021 at 11:31
Today, we discuss the glorious 56th anniversary of the day that Erni popped out of Mum. Erni, who, of course, owned the fastest milk float in the west, https://youtu.be/Rwa0vaR7slQ  could be even more famous. For his surname is Vidal. Could Erni be a prodigy of one of America’s finest sons? The evidence is, I am afraid, scant, because we only have the surname to go on, and there is a slight disadvantage to the theory in that Erni hails from Argentina.

Erni joined us in May 2007, and stayed until November 2008, and in that time shared with us precisely zero wisdom. Nope, not one post. This strikes me as a bit of a shame, because he does have a very live blog site, which has the glorious Selling England album cover at its head, so evidence there of at least some taste and knowledge; http://laprogresion.blogspot.com/ what’s more, the blog has a link to our exalted site. Erni is a musician and producer,  and

further research (I am NO slacker) shows that he is a bassist, and has been mentioned in Suggest New Artists thread by the mighty fine researcher, David Yam Yam; Láquesis (Argentina): Symph/Heavy? - Progressive Rock Music Forum 

So, let us give a huge shout to Erni. Feliz cumpleaños to you, old chap! Come back! Play us a song!

Elsewhere, we have two collab birthdays to celebrate, and the first one simply fills me with excitement.

Baldfriede celebrates her 52nd birthday today. Friede lives with her fellow Bald Angel, Jean, and they are involved in the food business. Her signature has a fine photo of the pair of them, and they have a lovely family together. Friede is a regular and long-standing contributor to this site, which would be a poorer and sadder place without that. 

Last, but by no means least, we also celebrate the 28th birthday of bartymj, or Matt Bartlett. Matt joined the site last year, and is a regular contributor. Felicitations, sir!

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2021 at 11:56
Another fine shout out Laz. Widely appreciated as always.   Clap 
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2021 at 11:59
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Another fine shout out Laz. Widely appreciated as always.   Clap 

Why, thank you JD. Looking forward to 26 May Big smile
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 11:17
Today, we pay a visit to the US of A to wish an extremely happy birthday to Exquisitecorpse, although we very much hope that Vincent isn’t quite that advanced on the journey to meet our maker. 

Vincent is 29 today, and joined us in May 2005, and lasted a month, and provided us with the benefit of his worldview a staggering 39 times. And what a worldview it was too.

We start with his signature. It is in three parts, namely:

1. No, her name is not Beatrice
  2. Yes, it’s true. Movon invented cancer
  3. Josh and Peanut for President in ‘06

I have to say that I am ever so slightly lost as to why anybody in their right mind would even suggest to Vincent that Jane Doe is, in reality, named Beatrice. As for Movon, I am absolutely with the man here. Those heartless automotive testing laboratories needed closing down years ago. As for his choice in the election, well he did eventually get a nut, but, sadly, had to wait 10 whole years to realise his dream.

His posts also spoke volumes to those of us in the unwoke fraternity. He stated that he had seen Britney Spears appear in a lesbian twosome - alright for some, I should say. In addition, this particular gem; “being homosexual is so gay”. Given that Vincent was a mere 15 years old when he was sharing this unutterable wisdom, I am sure that you will all agree with me that he demonstrated intelligence and grace way beyond his tender years.

Sadly, we have not heard from our lovely walking stiff since, and I am extremely tempted to send a PM if only to see whether the passing years have dented a hole in such youthful enthusiasm. On second thoughts, I think I shall merely set the iPad to private browsing after the wife has gone to bed and undertake a surreptitious Britney search. Mmm. Britney!

Happy birthday, Vincent. Go gay! You know it makes sense!

In collab news, today is a biggy. We send our sincere felicitations to Blacksword, or Andy Robinson as his no doubt rugby loving parents named him 52 years ago. Andy is a great contributor to this site, and a thoroughly nice bloke.  Talking about bloky stuff, Andy’s interests are listed as prog, women, food, booze, and current affairs. The chap is my intertit soulmate, I tell you. So, Andy, a glass of Mr Banks’ finest is being raised to you as I speak. All the best, mate. Get pissed! We’re in a pandemic!

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2021 at 11:22
Here, here. Here's a health to both chaps.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 11:06
Well, on this fine January evening, I had a little bit of a choice when choosing who we would send our love and felicitations to.

I first had a wee look at SickMyDuck. Alvaro is from Argentina, and is 31 today. When I first considered this candidate, my first thought was no doubt precisely the same as you lot, namely why on earth would anybody wish their fellow human beings to throw up all over his pet quacker? I mean, why? It was not until a wee bit later that I realised that old Alvaro might have been inviting us, in a classy and intellectual manner, to something altogether more squeamish. Now, don’t get me wrong, I am as keen as the next fellow on a little bit of fellatio related fun, but in public? With young personages as well as some fairly conservative types on the forum? Nope. I tell you, this job really does open your eyes to the huge diversity of our fellow man.

Talking of which, now to the actual star of today’s post. My Lords, Ladies, and Gentlemen, together with any non-gender specific fellatio lovers, please put your hands together for a genuine member of the Thai establishment. Really! No kidding at all, because Axe/Hatchet/Saw is 59 today. Now my first thought when seeing this, and the fact that Panyarak Poolthup (as his mum and dad really imaginatively named him) stated his occupation as “government”, was he must be the bloody state executioner with a forum name like that. Alternatively, like me, a glorious member of the state tax assessing and compliance community.

But no. Panyarak is only an ambassador. Yes, really. He is the ambassador of Thailand to Vietnam. Take a looksee; In Focus - Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kingdom of Thailand In keeping with this exalted position, his interests are also extremely varied and clever. Wild orchids, Japanese trains, postage stamps, horror movies, science fiction. By Gum! Thinking about it, this chap is probably so clever as to be able to do all of this in one go, taking a delivery of flowers on a bullet train, sticking his stamp on an envelope addressed to the other half at his seat, whilst watching The Exorcist and Blade Runner on his tablet. Don’t bet against it! His posts on the forum in the three months he was here between 2008 and 2009 also show a deep knowledge of prog.

So! We wish a Sukhsant Wan Keid (careful how you say the last bit) to our exalted Mr Ambassador. Come back, sir! Admin status would surely beckon!

Elsewhere, the collab birthday sperm count is once again set to zero, although given the peccadilloes of young Alvaro, this might not be such a bad thing.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 11:30
Wonderful! Thanks to you we get to know our fellow PA-members a bit better. Now I just wonder what Axe/Hatchet/Saw's preferred instrument would be to execute his ambassadorial obligations...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 11:44
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Wonderful! Thanks to you we get to know our fellow PA-members a bit better. Now I just wonder what Axe/Hatchet/Saw's preferred instrument would be to execute his ambassadorial obligations...

I’ll get nightmares thinking about it! LOL
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 11:48
Sorry about that - wasn't intended. LOL

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>