Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The PA Happy Birthday Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2021 at 08:43
It’s off to Bogland today, or Ireland as it is more familiarly known to its inhabitants, where we wish a hail and hearty happy birthday to one of the many musical types who have graced our dear shores over the years.

skeletal_wreck is 37 today, and joined the site in June 2006, lasting precisely one minute before never being seen again. He only gave his name as Steve, but did helpfully provide us with his MySpace website; Odium Halo | Listen and Stream Free Music, Albums, New Releases, Photos, Videos  This takes us to the site for Odium Halo, and further research shows us that our friend’s name is Steve Rafferty and his band had their very own YouTube site; https://youtu.be/SCHyI07yz8M they have not been active for a number of years now, and I think it is fair to say that what you hear here is full of youthful enthusiasm for making a glorious noise. However, I think that at least some of the participants morphed into Run to Earth, and if that is the case, I think that those of you who enjoy trippy electronic stuff might enjoy the following whilst dropping an acid, or six; https://youtu.be/XAAquzynOPQ

As of the time he joined, young Steve was a music production student, and in keeping with the general excesses of that type of person, enjoyed music, guitar, art, and most of all partying. Sort of goes hand in glove with the student bit, I suppose. Further research shows, though, that Steve didn’t entirely waste his time shagging and getting drunk, because he has ended up in a studio, namely Outland Studios in Omagh; Outland Studios - Home | Facebook 

So, please join me, my friends, in sending lá breithe shona duit to a long departed member. He may have moved beyond prog, but you never really leave Prog Archives, as this thread demonstrably proves.

Once again, no present collab birthdays to report to you.

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 07:31
Continuing this weekend’s theme of musical alumni who have graced the site with their presence over the years, today we wish a very happy birthday to progprince, or Mickey Simmonds as he is better known to members of his local golf club.

Mickey is 62 today, joined us in January 2009, and in the almost three months he lurked, did not provide us with any insight into his world. When you look at the prog giants he has played with, you will, I am sure, agree with me that this was quite a loss to the site. Mickey is a record producer, but he is also a session keyboardist, and, indeed, a solo artist who should be a shoo-in for inclusion on Prog Archives. His website makes it clear why; Mickey Simmonds – Keyboards, composer, producer. He has just released his third solo album, with the extraordinarily Gabrielesque titled III. Having just checked, his second album, The Seven Colours of Emptiness, is available on iTunes, so I will check this out tomorrow before making a formal addition suggestion. The new album is a tribute to Keith Emerson, so should be interesting.

Indeed, Mickey has played with (wait for it)......Mike Oldfield, Renaissance, Camel, Mr Derek Dick, and many others, including two of my favourite non-prog artists Elkie Brooks and Julie Tsuke (Secret Agent is one of the best albums in my collection, and you should really check it out). In addition, he still tours with Bucks Fizz. Yep, the Eurovision bunch who had no difficulties in Making Their Minds Up and whipping their bottom kit off every chance they got. Like you, I now look forward to a performance of Toccata at the next Fizz gig.

Mickey also has a golf handicap of 8, which is some 20 lower than a certain Mr Laz, and just goes to show that if you are a really talented sod in one department, it tends to spill over into all sorts of fields. I’m only jealous.

So, happy birthday Prince Mickey! Very soon you will be immortalised as an artist on PA as well as a fleeting member. Come back, sir! We need you!

In collab news, we bid a very happy birthday to The Truth. Tanner is 25 today, and is an expert in the mathematical side of prog rock, although he hasn’t visited us in a little while. Happy birthday to you.

In addition, Scrivener is 52 today, and he has been an active member since 2005, but with only 25 posts, still a forum newbie. That’s some serious slacking, old chap! Get busy!

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 08:54
^Excellent choice Steve !
I checked out the clip for his Emerson Tribute and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll be watching for it's official release and fully support his inclusion in PA. Thumbs Up
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2021 at 09:14
Yes, Mickey is on par with Wakeman, Downs et al. A happy birthday to this unsung genius.

Edited by SteveG - January 31 2021 at 09:15
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 12:33
Well, today I thought I had come across another extraordinarily famous chap who had passed through the PA doors, because, let’s face it, we have been on a fair old run recently.

So, today is the 64th birthday of forum member Hans Zimmer, who joined us on 25 August 2020, and lasted just short of an hour without troubling the admins or forum members with his thoughts. Hans Zimmer, I thought. I know that bloody name from somewhere, and, indeed, initial searches suggested that we might have had a rather famous German born film composer Hans-Zimmer.com who has composed music for over 150 films. However, in keeping with my training as a dedicated, and dogged, tax inspector, I needed to be sure that this was our man. And it isn’t. The great Hans was also born in 1957, just like our man (well, on the face of it), but in a different month.

Luckily, our chap did leave his homepage when he registered, and it takes us to, even more confusingly, Hans Zimmer | Film Composer, Scoring and Sound Design Company This is basically a film scoring and sound design site, but named after our original hero, and I then assumed that one of the participants might be our chap, but no. Looking at their photographs, they all look a bit too young, especially the CEO, Nick Martin, who appears to have just come out of college, although kudos for a magnificent upper lip free beard. A mighty fine beard, sir! Hans Zimmer Composer | Film Scoring Company | | Best Film Composer 

Things get even more strange when you click on the link to Top 20 composers, and one of the alumni named there is “Sir” John Barrowman. I thought to myself, I know that bloody name as well. And yes, it’s only the Yank who played the lead in Torchwood and appeared in numerous Doctor Who episodes as Captain Jack, in addition to making numerous appearances on British “entertainment” shows. John Barrowman Official Website the man can clearly carry a tune, but music composer? 

Anyhoo, they are all based in Commerce, California, a small town located in LA county, and are very keen to publicise their philanthropy activities in the community, bless them.

The cynical amongst you, therefore, might be tempted to believe that this whole joining PA was to provide publicity for their venture, and the forum name, just like the website, is there purely as click bait to lead us into their trendy lair. Shame on you all! You would have thought they would have got the old boy’s birthday right,though.

Elsewhere in proggerland, we send our best wishes to a prolific senior member of the site, Mr Jörgemeister, who lives in naughty Nauticus, works for a living as IQ, and could have brought a third world country with the riches he has spent. Well, I’m with you there, Jörge. Gratulerer Med Dagen, sir! Drink lots!

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 14:06
Great reading! really enjoyable stuff, thanks for the time you put in to these Steve, keep 'em comingThumbs Up

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 14:37
Once again Steve...

I bow before your greatness !
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2021 at 14:55
 Thanks muchly. It is a lot of fun to be doing this.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2021 at 11:34
Today, y’all pay a visit to Raleigh, the state capital of North Carolina, and wish a very fond happy birthday to DoThaDew. 

Adam Beckwith, as he is hopefully better known to those who sired him, is 33 today, and joined us on New Year’s Eve 2008, but was probably a wee bit pissed, because he lasted a mere 3 days and 5 posts before deciding not to trouble us with his rather disgusting table manners again.

And why do I say that? Well, “doing the dew”, that’s why. For those of you, like me, who prefer to drink their liquids from the type of receptacle the Good Lord provided to us, namely mugs and glasses, this act is pouring a rather sickly Pepsi Co drink called Mountain Dew, or Mt. Dew to da yoof, down one’s gob without the bottle/can touching the lips. Perfectly ghastly, I’m sure you will agree, although I suppose this might be handy at present if you are breaking social distancing rules and sharing a Dew with your buddies.

In his limited posts, Adam expressed his love for the harder type of prog, especially Porcupine Tree, so if he were still with us, no doubt he would be working himself into a proper Dew froth over the sellout “pop” album of a certain Mr Wilson.

Adam put his occupation as an artist, and this is true. Research informs us that he is an artist for Psyonix, which is a video game developer, whose most famous creation is the “critically acclaimed” Rocket League; Homepage | Psyonix Never heard of it myself, but then again, I haven’t gone beyond the Rayman Rabbit or Lego Star Wars phase of my gaming career.

Happy birthday, Adam!

Elsewhere, no current collab special days to report. You’ll be back, though. I’ll be waiting.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2021 at 11:39
Today, we visit the world of Mightly_Quiche. I think you will be pleasantly surprised, because not only do we have prog artists on this site, we have also been visited over the years by their progeny, or should that be PROGeny? 

Firstly, the forum name. Mightly means able, strong, and competent. As for quiche, I am afraid it is not something Mr Laz eats, being a rather foul French pastry, custard and cheese concoction. Given that I don’t eat custard, am allergic to cheese, and it doesn’t contain meat, it is a bit of a no no in this hoose.

Helen Borrill Talbot is 31 today, and when I researched the 2 posts she made in the 4 days she graced our presence in 2005, she asked us for help in learning to play the guitar. She also mentioned her famous father. For Daddy is Steve Borrill, whose claim to fame is being the bassist and founder member of the prog folk band, Spirogyra. Yep, this altogether lovely hairy lot are on the site, added by Hugues, and no doubt very fondly remembered by the crusty old beardy folk types who lurk on our beloved site; SPIROGYRA discography and reviews Daddy appeared on the 3 albums they made in the 1970’s, but was absent for the reformed effort in the noughties. Founder Martin Cockerham died in 2018, but I can’t seem to find any musical activity for Steve outside the band, so since the 1970’s. 

Sadly, it doesn’t look as if Helen made it as a guitarist, either, as no trace of her was successful. This is a shame, because her signature was, well, truly poetic. It reads; “Take these plastic people, read their lips, now let it linger; is there anything that makes them sound sincere?” This is actually a snippet from a song called One Man Army by Our Lady Peace; https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=cufg5tZ6RLQ&feature=share Bloody awful racket to these ears, but it takes all sorts, I suppose.

So, notwithstanding the shocking food and music tastes, let us shout out Happy Birthday, Helen! Say hello to Daddy for us!

In collab news, we wish LearsFool a very happy 25th birthday. Kelvin is a Prog Reviewer in these parts, and hails from New York. His signature, though, has a serious disadvantage as it should only really be examined after taking copious amounts of psychedelic substances. Many happy returns, sir!

Dorsalia, or Santiago Killing as his parents named him (not literally, one hopes), is a current senior member and is 33 today. Santiago is based in Mallorca, so Feliz Cumpleaños to you, sir!

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2021 at 11:39
Nothing succeeds like excess! So said rigel1 in his signature when he joined our beloved site in October 2005. Between then and April 2009, Carl Radino bothered the PA censors on just one occasion, this to inform the assembled masses that he had met Nick Turner and the gang at The 100 Club in London, a long way from home, as we shall find out. Turner is now 80 years old, resides not that far from Lazland, and is truly as mad as a box of frogs.

Carl is 64 today, and is a living, breathing exemplar of the American Dream, bless him. His occupation was listed as an Information Systems Architect. What the f**k is that, I hear the masses cry? Well, this column is nothing but an educational overload journey, so I will tell you. Solutions architecture is about solving problems. Enterprise architecture is a strategic planning initiative, and it would appear that Carl is absolutely on top of all this. You can read all sorts of fascinating corporate cobblers at The Difference Between Enterprise Architecture and Solutions Architecture | erwin, Inc. and our Carl’s very own LinkedIn page at Carl Radino - VP, Enterprise Solutions Architecture - Next Generation Banking - FIS | LinkedIn Yep, our boy is dynamic, cogent, and highly self-motivated, skills which are, I am sure you will agree, utterly essential in the dog eat dog world of Systems Architecture. Or should that be Enterprise Architecture? 

Carl lists his interests on the corporate cobblers networking site as amateur astronomy, hence the Rigel pen name, gardening & landscaping, and, most important, listening to and collecting progressive rock/progressive metal. 

So, Carl. Get celebrating today’s milestone by violently spoiling that far too bouffant hair of yours. Enjoy! Happy birthday, sir!

Elsewhere, I know that older members of the site will wish to send their best wishes to Jody, The Progtologist. Jody is 55 today, and has been prolific over the years in publishing some great articles, interviews, and reviews. He hasn’t visited PA for a few years, sadly. He was once an admin hereabouts.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 11:44
Today we pay another visit to the Land of the Free to celebrate the special relationship that glorious country has with its musical yoof.

Trey Likes Bands, or Trey Cardi as the good folk of Phoenix no doubt call him when he graces them with a response, is 18 today. Yep, 18. What a milestone for our friend, who actually joined PA as a callow 14 year old, and informed all who could be bothered to listen that he has been creating YouTube videos, mainly of prog bands, and some of his favourites were Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Yes, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, and Genesis. Not a bad start, I am sure you will agree for a prog forum, and one really could have had high hopes that when young Trey branched out into the realms of recording music, we could eagerly anticipate the next DSOTM, or Going For The One, and etc.

Well, Trey and his equally young collaborator, Aidan Briggs, are the artists known to their fan base as Orchid Inc., and, yes, they have recorded some songs for our enjoyment. You can have a listen at Orchid Inc,'s Community | Orchid Inc, 

I have given a wee listen to Catatonia. It is fair to say that this particular track will not draw any immediate comparisons to Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, et al, but the lyrics are slightly reminiscent of a certain Mr Waters in their angst. Also that photo at the top. Pure yoof bottled up fury let go in glorious fashion, guys. Love it!

Our friends also post on Instant Adreneline Hit Gram for their legion of 241 followers, and I particular like the pure art form of sticking a false hand up one’s hooter. It might well catch on, and when our heroes are as famous as David Bailey, well you saw it here first, folks. ORCHID INC. (@inc_orchid) • Instagram photos and videos

So, let us shout it out loud and proud. Happy 18th Trey! Keep your Gunn holstered, partner! Oh, by the way. Here in dear old Blighty, you could now legally get very drunk at pubs if the bloody things were open. Over there, well, sorry, another three years of hiding the booze and sh*t under the mattress.

No collab birthdays to report today, I’m afraid.

Happy weekend to all my loyal readers. I love you! The dog loves you! The cat couldn’t give a toss about you! Keep drinking and smoking to keep that nasty virus at bay!

Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 13:41
Brilliant lazland once again thanks. ^ Maybe a new Steven Wilson in the making.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 13:54
My birthday is in April. Whoever remembers gets a cookie.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 13:56
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

My birthday is in April. Whoever remembers gets a cookie.
April 1st? Just kidding. I'll remember. Btw, chocolate chip
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 14:22
These are all brilliant Steve........great reading!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2021 at 15:10
Thanks all. Really appreciate the comments for what is a huge pile of fun to curate.

Mr FlowerCrimson. Given that there is one person on this site who is guaranteed not to forget your happy day, any chance of ordering a box of plain chocolate digestives instead of the cookies?

Ta muchly!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 10:08
Today, we have an extremely exciting double-header, and what’s more, the two personages we send our love and best wishes to are, in fact, a single personage! Yep. Keep still, Oh my beating heart.

For in July 2005, Amniosdesign joined us for a total of 4 posts, all the way from sunny Chile.

Then, in September of that same mighty fine year, Irrgarten joined us from Moscow, stayed for 10 and a bit years, making a total of 35 contributions to our fellowship.

Both of them are 42 today, and, by a matter of no doubt happy coincidence, both these titans real names are Jose Francisco Garrido. Actually, it is not a complete coincidence, because Jose loved our site so much, he decided to join us twice.

Now, to kick off this discussion, one has to say that Jose is clearly a very brave man. The temperature in downtown Santiago, where from whence he came, is a balmy 19 degrees Celsius. In Moscow, however, it is a rip-roaring, trussock-wearing MINUS 16. Blimey! I know where I would rather be, Jose!

So, how on earth did our Jose come to make the transition from South America to Comrade Putin’s mafia infested paradise?

Well, Jose is big in the world of fonts, you see. Here is our hero’s site Juan Francisco Garrido Here, you will see that he is the Moscow-based designer of the squarish typeface Shket  Shket - FontM and the angular text typeface Graphirus Graphirus User Profile | DeviantArt Being a rather dull Times New Roman and Ariel type of chap myself, I must admit to never having heard of these particular fonts, although no doubt some of you funky digital types are all over it. I might also add that the inner sexist in me does somewhat appreciate the hot types featured on the deviant art site. This is an art form which appeals to old-fashioned fellows who like something rather pleasing on the eye.

In the world of prog, our good friend is still loving our music, as his Rate Your Music site proves Profile: Graphirus - Rate Your Music

So, let us shout out both Cumpleaños Feliz and zDNYOM razhDYEnya to our wonderful friend. Drinks loads of potato juice tonight sir, if only to keep warm!

Elsewhere, we have no present collab birthdays to report.

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 12:01
I bet you also took a look at this possible long lost relative of the composer of "Pictures at an Exhibition" and "Night on Bald (Bare) (Bear) Mountain", now living in Mexico with a German first name and Russian last, who joined the site with the dauntless mission to give a couple of fanboy 5 star ratings to The Tangent:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=26842

Edited by Easy Money - February 06 2021 at 12:11
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2021 at 12:09
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I bet you also took a look at this possible long lost relative of the composer of "Pictures at an Exhibition", now living in Mexico with a German first name and Russian last, who joined the site with the dauntless mission to give a couple of fanboy 5 star ratings to The Tangent:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=26842

He could very well be a serious candidate for 6 February 2022 Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 19>