Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The PA Happy Birthday Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 11:04
"...so bless him/her." LOL That put a spring in my step.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2021 at 10:35
It is wholly appropriate, on this the day that Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh, was laid to rest, that we induct into The PABT Hall of Fame Maj.

Matt Loveridge joined our majestic throng as maj in September 2009, and hung around for a few months before settling into the now familiar role of a dearly departed brother, although I am extremely happy to report that he is not as departed as Phillip.

Matt celebrates his 33rd birthday, and hails from that wonderful town of Taunton, which is in the South West of Engerland. Indeed, it is the county town of Somerset, that hotbed of drinking rotten apples. Should you be interested in woof-friendly places whilst you visit, here is just the site for you, which includes the extraordinarily exciting news of a Dolly Parton event! Visit Somerset | Your Guide to Accommodation, Attractions, Things to Do, Activities & Events - Visit Somerset

When he first visited our happy throng, Matt came on to advertise his big concept album, and drew an admiring comment from Dean, excepting for the vocals http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61509The Reverbnation link is still live, and you can groove along to Matt’s work here Matt Loveridge | ReverbNation I have listened to Singapore Sling, and really rather enjoyed it, especially the crazy trombone. The “epic” track, Balance, shows some impressive ambition, and is really very good. Dean, as usual, was right, though, about the vocals, which do not match the musicianship on display.

But, Matt’s story does not end there, oh no! For he is a film and tv composer! This is his website Matt Loveridge | Music for Film & TV | RTS Regional Nominated Composer - Bristol, UK This shows a very impressive body of work, including stuff done for Aardman, those genius chaps responsible for Shaun the Sheep and Wallace & Gromit. Let us have a listen to one of these. How about Empire of the Tsars, which featured that altogether lovely dressing up historian, Lucy Worsley? https://soundcloud.com/matt-loveridge/sets/matt-loveridge-library-2020Pretty impressive stuff, which every right-minded Cossack would surely be dancing to given the opportunity.

A further bit of research, though, reveals to us an “identity as fluid as his music”! Indeedy, for Our Matt also produces stuff under a multitude of identities. The Quietus | Features | Strange World Of... | Dumb Not Dumb: The Strange World Of Matt Loveridge &c. Let us examine MXLX, which you can listen to here MXLX: I Aim To Understand Nothing - album review I have given So I Am Leaving a wee listen, and this is far more techno orientated fare, but pretty trancy and mesmerising stuff, and certainly rather clever. Our Matt is clearly a eclectic chap in his compositions.

So! We wish our departed brother a very happy birthday! Where’s the cheese, Gromit?

Elsewhere, no current products of Prog parents copulation to report.

Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2021 at 09:05
It is said that the intertit, that wild, wacky, and wonderful World Wide Web, has been a boon for those companies advertising wares. Online advertising is a massive business, and its proponents use all sorts of digital tricks to ensure that their “messages” get across to that audience of billions of users. Indeed, as that wise and far seeing German philosopher, Elias Der Bart, stated in an online paper entitled die Weisheit von Schnurrhaare, “eats your cookies sparingly”. Such wisdom continues to be a source of the greatest inspiration to me, and I know to all of you.

There was, in fact, quite a choice of registering to flog stuff to the masses to choose from today. However, I settled on wondering at the wisdom of an advertising campaign which involves an Indian chappy, whose real name is regrettably lost to history, but who celebrates his 32nd birthday in Hyderabad today, registering on a progressive rock forum on 5 August 2011, staying for the briefest of minutes, simply to give a link to the company he works for, and the name of said company as his signature, and not even posting to notify us of said company. Thus, I give you seotrafficspider. Having said that, I suppose that you could argue that this hungry young executive anticipated the creation of the PABT, recently voted the most popular Progressive Rock birthday thread for 2021, and that at least a couple of hundred souls would click on the site of his employer, thus potentially opening up all sorts of corporate activity. I mean, really, how many would have clicked on this at the time of registration?

So, here is the link. http://seotrafficspider.com/ And what do our capitalist friends offer to the eager prog masses? Well, it doesn’t drive traffic, it drives conversations, which is always nice when you want somebody to talk to. Basically, they will help you with your website, digital writing, Google ad words, consulting services, content marketing, the full monty. Very exciting, and they emphasise that the content of your website is the key, so I have already taken the step of providing our Indian friends with Max’s email address. And, more excitingly, they have two awards to their name, which are Google AdWords Certification and Expert Author Certification from Ezine Articles, and these really are the clincher for me. They can transform your ideas into reality, and writing all this down, I really do think that the least the buggers could do is send me a cheque for the free advertising I am giving them. It could be my second job! Such things are all the rage in Blighty at the moment!

Elsewhere, I am extremely pleased that the PABT continues to keep up with the hottest topics in progdom, and I provide a service here which nicely dovetails with a thread commenced by that grandest of PABT patrons, Mr Steve G, namely nationalism. Indeedy, because today we can celebrate the 61st birthday of a real Red, White, and Blue patriot, one Jay Beerster (nice name, sir!), who joined our nationalistic throng in January 2020, and hung around for three months. 

When he joined, Jay declared his love for all things RIO, and attracted the attention of all right minded pan-heads on the site. In fact, the finest contribution to this discussion was by our exceptionally wise and distinguished admin, Mr Logan, who provided our Jay with this utter classic as an example of his love for RIO; https://youtu.be/nTizYn3-QN0

And that was it. Jay disappeared, without being seen hereabouts again. Which is a bit of a shame, because I have no doubt at all that he would have been all over Steve’s nationalism thread. You see, when he registered, he listed his interests as Music, Dogs, Guns, woodworking, women in no particular order. But it is when you examine Jay’s intertit activities that he really comes into his own. Take a look at his comments in reaction to some beardy sociology professor which, amongst other gems, alleges that Coronavirus is not a Chinese buggy wuggy, but the creation of those evil Yankee imperialists! Yes, really! Campus Reform | Professor quoted as saying on 'terrorist entity' TV network that US made coronavirus Our Jay performs a couple of truly magnificent rants calling for the deportation of all leftie teachers and taking true blue American schools back! Or how about this utter gem, literally hot off of the presses three days ago, discussing that altogether lovely and hot UFC fighter Rose Namajunas, who is rather hot under the collar about the Red Stain otherwise known in diplomatic circles as China? Female UFC fighter — ‘Better dead than red’… – CITIZEN FREE PRESS Here is the post from Jay; “Anyone know if this fight will be televised or pay per view ? Would really like to watch her kick some chinese butt since the Traitor Biden won’t.” You get the impression that Jay would not altogether welcome his local Democrat Party geezer knocking at the door advertising the virtues of Uncle Joe Stalin. Indeed, he would have a magnificent choice between blasting him with some Henry Cow or the AK47, getting Rover to bite his left testicle, or locking him his newly built book cupboard with last night’s female conquest. The possibilities are endless!

Further research confirms that Jay hails from Nevada, and here he is offering his full support to Governor Steve Sisolak trying to, erm, not entirely respect the popular vote https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/sisolak-vetoes-bill-that-would-pledge-nevadas-support-to-winner-of-national-popular-vote-reject-electoral-college

There is more available in the same vein. So! We wish a very happy birthday to our patriotic friend, Jay! As Herr Grocklegrubber once said, “besser tot als rot” und andere solche Blödsinn.

Elsewhere, no present collab happy days to report, with the parental locking of the golden gates well and truly carrying on. 

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 11:44
Let us today consider the affairs of a very clever chappy who joined our beloved prog throng on more than one occasion.

On his first visit, Bill Compeau joined as T-Chant, although when he announced his arrival to the hordes in June 2007, he stated that this was under a new name, and he had “been invited back into the fold”. This original handle is lost to us, unfortunately, and, as clever as Bill is, as we shall find out, he quite obviously lost his password for a second time, as he rejoined as ark-amps in 2009. On both occasions, he was a pretty good contributor to our lively debates, and also made us aware of his involvement in both Ark Amps and his unsigned band, Territorial Chant. He has not, I am afraid, been back since my birthday in 2009, which one trusts is merely a coincidence.

Bill celebrates his 57th birthday today, and hails from that right royal city of Windsor in Ontario, Canada. Regrettably, this lovely city is subject to lurgy provincial stay at home orders at present, but you are allowed out of the house to put out your garbage containers, and please do ensure that you adhere to the extraordinarily strict rules the good leaders of Windsor set out for you very clearly, and in Ivan-like bold type, this to emphasise its importance Garbage Collection

Bill is an amp-builder by trade, although his business website is regrettably down, or under construction. By a quirk of fate, it is, though, named Ark Amps. His JoiningArms site does give us a hint as to his activities, which includes the extremely exciting news that he also designs axes, as in the Ritchie Blackmore variety, rather than blood curdling warriors weapons Ark Instruments - Bill Compeau-President/chief designer - Ark Instruments | LinkedIn Here is an interesting interview with our departed brother discussing his work An interview with Electric Guitar Designer Bill Compeau – Guitar Design Reviews And here is his SadderThanEverNovel page, featuring a photo of our brother with his altogether lovely partner, which features an altogether pious quote, thus "Seek first the kingdom of god, and HIS righteousness “. Absolutely, sir, and such pious   utterances can only find huge favour with the god fearing brethren of PA https://en-gb.facebook.com/BillCompeau And for those of you tempted to avail yourselves of the products designed by Bill, kindly drool over these marvellous images https://www.pinterest.com/pin/530228556113893734/

And what about his band? Well, they do not feature within the Temple of Prog, but should they? This is their Sadbook page, which lists them as being active in that hotbed of motor driven prog, Detroit Territorial Chant - Home | Facebook They have their own Gogglebox channel, with a fantastically loyal 76 subscribers. Take a watch and listen to our heroes cover of Tom Sawyer https://youtu.be/vuwXm7CQ490 From an entirely neutral perspective, it is fair to say that Bill’s axe looks wonderful, but the chap singing sounds rather less Geddy Lee than Neil Peart, and shuffles around the stage in a manner familiar to all embarrassed “Dad Dancers”. Bless!

So! We wish a very happy birthday to Bill. Please design me a Lifeson axe! Give that singer a damned good kick in the goolies - he’s at least an octave flat!

Elsewhere, the present worrying dearth of parental orgiastic rubbing together continues.  

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 13:30
WARNING : DISTURBING IMAGES !!!

Ah,,,Windsor, I remember it well.
As an honourary roving reporter it is my pleasure to supplement today's entry with a little history.

Back in my sound engineering days we did a weekend at the Windsor University Pub.
We were housed in the dorms (too cheap for hotel fare) and on Saturday morning I noticed some activity outside. My investigation led to the organizers, a bunch of frat boys, who were setting up an obstacle course for the plebs to circumvent in order to prove their worth.

It was a mucky field, I think they had dumped barrels of water at all the critical points. They had several stations with tables and warm, yes warm beer that had to be consumed. It was a sprint between stations as the course was being timed. Get to the station, chug a warm beer perform the task, sprint on. One station maybe the second one, had a baseball bat that you had to keep on the ground and with your forehead on the handle, do 5 revolutions to the right then 5 revolutions to the left. One of the others was the crawl under the chairs, and of course, the vomiting. Now the first few runners had a distinct advantage as no one had regurgitated the fragile contents of their swollen bellies yet. The later competitors weren't so luck.

All in all an interesting experience to say the least...for me anyway.

Here Endith The Lesson.

Edited by JD - April 19 2021 at 14:21
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2021 at 14:03
Now THAT is some serious shenanigans LOLLOL

Proving that Canadian frat boys can compete with the best!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 11:46
Well, we had a veritable plethora of choice for inauguration into the PABT Temple today, and, frankly, if it wasn’t for the fact that I had to return to work this week, not having selected the lucky lotto numbers over my leave period the past two weeks, I could have spent all day today on this.

In the end, I plumped for a teacher from Canada, which is quite easily the PABT’s favourite country north of Yankeeland. 

MGR.I.O registered with our happy throng in December 2008, and didn’t bother the masses with his opinion on anything in the 16 days he spent with us. Michel Gendron, although this is not the correct spelling of his name, which suggests to me that Mychal, who celebrates his 59th birthday today, may have had a few too many of the old Molson Export when he registered, rather like the yoofful chaps vomiting in JDs historic post last night.

He gave his occupation as a teacher, and his interests, usefully enough for a music website, as music. This interest will also help Mychal greatly in his chosen occupation. He is a guitar teacher and teacher trainer, and features as his chosen corporate to teach as Suzuki Mychal Gendron | Member Directory | Suzuki Association of the AmericasNow, I knew that Suzuki made motorbikes. I also knew that they make cars, albeit only because Mrs Laz drives one of them. But not guitars, and here is their website where you can choose your new best friend which will be a part of your life for years to come (as I said last night, I really should be paid for all this) Suzuki Guitars, Amplifiers, and Guitar Accessories 

What caught my eye whilst looking at our dear brother Mychal was the fact that he toured Brazil under the aegis of Partners of the Americas. Being an ever so slightly ignorant British chappy incapable of quoting beardy philosophers and speaking Latin, I must confess that I had never heard of this, and my first thought was that this was a band. But no! Here is their website, detailing this non-profit, non-partisan doer of good works inspired by President Kennedy, although horizontal jogging sessions with attractive blond bombshell actresses does not appear to be amongst their activities, sadly. Seriously, a pretty impressive bunch Partners of the Americas | 

And, even more excitingly, our dear departed brother has his very own GoggleTube page, and I implore you to subscribe and add to the extraordinarily loyal 38 subscribers. Here is our hero, at a Guitar Faculty Performance at the appropriately named for a disciple of JFK Beaver Creek in 2013. Nice playing, if you can get past the cries of an obviously rather impatient youngster in the audience https://youtu.be/EVJEvKgfpRs For those of you wishing for a little bit more special than Hark The Herald Angels Sing at Yuletide, you can purchase Mychal’s carols for flute and guitar here https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/christmas-carols-for-flute-guitar-sheet-music/4800805He has also published quite a few ebooks, so it is safe to say that Mychal’s decision not to contribute to our stringed masses on PA was most definitely our loss.

It does not, though, stop us from wishing this multi-talented chap a very happy birthday! Try and stay sober, sir! 

Elsewhere in Proggerland, today is a very special day, and I don’t just mean the end of parental rumpy pumpy JFK inspired activities. For today, we send our very best wishes to Aussie Byrd Brother, or Michael as his parents named him 45 years ago today appropriately enough in Convictland. Mike is an SC on the Italian Symphonic Prog team, and has been an exceptional contributor hereabouts for nearly 10 years now. Happy birthday, Sir! 

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2021 at 12:56
^ Clap If a post like this can't get a least a chuckle out of someone, then that someone must have given up his lease on life.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 11:41
Today, there was a pretty simple and straightforward choice for inauguration into the hallowed halls of PABT whilst I was yawning over my cup of tea and listening on the radio to the glorious victory of the masses (aka Boris) over the horrible capitalist pig dogs who wanted to form The European Super League.

Rocketsandbluelights joined our never walk alone throng on 29 October 2013, and stayed with us for a whole 8 minutes before disappearing without a trace and without bothering to even state how much he loved his local footie team. He celebrates his 31st birthday in the wonderful city of York today.

Before we discuss the wondrous legacy that our dearly departed brother left to us, let us consider York. Firstly, and paramount in our deliberations, it is the home of our extremely lovely and well regarded friend on the forum, Mr Hercules. It is also the home city of the mighty Mostly Autumn, and Tony is extremely familiar with these titans of prog folk.

It is home to all sorts of wondrous things. The Minster, the wonderful Choo Choo Museum, the exceptional Jorvik Viking attraction, and all manner of things, including some of the finest boozers on earthdom. Mr Laz spent a wonderful week’s holiday there back in the day when he was a single misspent yoof, and loved every minute, and recommends it highly to any of you considering a holiday venue in Blighty this year (note to any York councillors - all cheques payable to Mr Lazland c/o Worshipful Society of Sheep Shaggers. Ta!). Here is the city website, where you can read the council’s response to the Public Interest Report into the. “Exit Package”, aka Brown Envelope Time with excessive used notes, to their former Chief Executive. Nice work if you can get it! City of York Council website home page – City of York Council

J Cridford when he registered listed his occupation as an administrator/journalist. Just how sexy all of this is we shall find out shortly. His interests were stated as music, art, literature, theatre, tennis, and vintage fashion, which is an eclectic mix to be sure. Here is his tweety pie page, where you are able for the first time to witness just what a gloriously hairy and beautiful specimen today’s hero is; https://twitter.com/home Father Cridmas (geddit?) hasn’t posted there for a wee while, and a search for The Milton Insider got this, where he is an author on the UK’s National B2B Media Company Insider Media Ltd - The UK's National B2B Media Company Here is his InstantFameOGram page, where we have even more opportunity to ogle at this hirsute warrior’s utter loveliness, including clues as to his very sharp taste in music https://www.instagram.com/jcridford/ He also has a blog, which is decidedly handy for a wordsmith Blogger: User Profile: J Cridford There is not much on here,  but what is there is of pretty decent quality.

So! Given this level of academic hairyness, you would expect that Our Jonathon must be a really senior administrator, up there with our sadly departed Chief Executive of York Council. Well, not quite. Jonathon is the Visitor Services Manager at........The Yorkshire Arboretum. Yes indeedy! Now for those of you who do not have the classical education required to speak in the language Young Master Caesar got his backside whipped for for not conjugating his verbs correctly back in the day, an arboretum is a botanical garden. Yes, and this is personally very exciting for Mr and Mrs Laz, as we are members of the National Botanical Gardens of Wales, which is a very lovely 15 minute walk from the hallowed residence we call home! Here he is Jonathan Cridford - Visitor Services Manager - The Yorkshire Arboretum | Business Profile | Apollo.io, and here is the said wonderful carbon footprint reducing wonder Yorkshire Arboretum So! Should any of you visit this wonderful customer centric experience, please do seek out Jonathon and tell him that you are a huge fan of his work, and it is all down to his legendary appearance in that bed of roses, The PABT!

This is not, though, all. It is not the end of our legendary brother’s talents, for he is on Discogs! ElectricLash90 and what about his band? Well, they have a 

Wikipoopoo page The Society (ex Danse Society) - Wikipedia And here they, 

and he, are in all their glory at The Snooty Fox pub in Wakefield! https://youtu.be/GhyhEm-vg5w I think that you will agree with me that, in spite of the awful racket, Jonathon especially rates a full 5 stars on the cool shagability barometer!

So! We wish a very happy birthday to one of the finest recruits to our Temple of Prog Immortality! Happy birthday, sir! Give us one of those sultry looks whilst flicking that beautiful head!

Elsewhere in Proggerland, it is a pleasure to wish our very dear friend, RaphaelT, or Zbigniew Dudek a very happy 44th birthday. Zbigniew has been a regular contributor hereabouts since 2005! Happy birthday, sir!

In addition, we also send our deep love and felicitations to Jazz_Fusion_Guy, who has been hanging around here even longer, since 2004! Here is his homepage SourceCodeX Listen and enjoy! Happy birthday, sir! 

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 14:35
''Jonathon is the Visitor Services Manager at........The Yorkshire Arboretum. Yes indeedy! Now for those of you who do not have the classical education required to speak in the language Young Master Caesar got his backside whipped for for not conjugating his verbs correctly back in the day, an arboretum is a botanical garden.''

Technically an Arboretum is a collection of woody plants (trees and shrubs).. Sorry to be a pedant but its no more than you'd expect from meWink NBGW is great, was last there in October.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2021 at 15:22
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

''Jonathon is the Visitor Services Manager at........The Yorkshire Arboretum. Yes indeedy! Now for those of you who do not have the classical education required to speak in the language Young Master Caesar got his backside whipped for for not conjugating his verbs correctly back in the day, an arboretum is a botanical garden.''

Technically an Arboretum is a collection of woody plants (trees and shrubs).. Sorry to be a pedant but its no more than you'd expect from meWink NBGW is great, was last there in October.

Indeed, or Ipso Facto as Julius would certainly have said, and I bow to your wisdom! I am but a vertice ligno taking the generalisation route as opposed to the specific.

The NBGW is, indeed, lovely. We went there not long after it opened when we were first courting (ahhh!), and it has developed so much in the intervening years. 
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 01:37
^ I really am a very uneducated 'clay sod of the earth' and all the Latin i know is purely from studies in plant nomenclature so the rest is.. er.. Greek to me.. sorry for being a pompous nerkEmbarrassed

Ive also got a long connection with NBGW having had lots of friends and collegues work there and i was offered a job on a couple of occasions but at that time my career was going (geographically) in other directions. 

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 11:59
Well all I can say is that today, I dropped lucky. After a particularly long and hectic day at work, the thought of spending too much time researching today’s inauguration hero into PABT was not filling me with my usual state of glee. However, the very first candidate eyeballed was simply so crucial to our pantheon, that he stood out a mile, and we have Svetonio to thank as well! Yes, this is an extraordinarily exciting moment. The very first official appearance in our little thread for the revolutionary hero from Serbia, a man who has been banned from more forums than I have been from boozers for drunken behaviour, and whose only outlet is now sharing a desolate space with that other Class A Nutcase (CAN), Mr Wallace.

How did this come about? 

Today’s hero first registered with the site as schroedingerscat in December 2009, out of work, and out of ideas to share with the masses.

He then registered on the site as IainHawk in December 2010, when he described himself again as a bit of a loafer, i.e. unemployed, and made reference to his Hawkwind affections.

Then, on Christmas Day 2019, obviously with nothing better to do on that holy day, LordHawk joined our Christmas Pudding Throng, for the third time of asking. He stayed for just short of three months, without, I am afraid, sharing any of his thoughts with the masses. 

All of this is a little bit of a shame, because Iain Hawk, who celebrates his 55th birthday in Krautland today, is obviously a man of culture and talent.

When he registered for the third time, his signature was suitably academic and philosophical for a creature of Rhineland, it being the following; “Ars Longa Vita Brevis”. Now this translates into Anglespeak as life is short, and is in itself a translation of the original Greek, and quotes the original two lines of The Aphorismi by that wonderful Doctor Quack, Dr Hippocrates. Yes indeedy folks, culture does exist beyond the swamps of Germany, you know! Those philistines among you might be shouting at Mr Laz by now to tell me that our wonderfully clever brother was, in fact, quoting the title of the second album by those progressive pioneers, The Nice, but that would, in my opinion, be to denigrate our brother. 

Anyhoo, how does Svetonio come into this story? Well, take a look see at number 2,522 of the 20,445 band addition suggestions that our glorious Tito loving brother (TIT for short) made all the way back in 2014; Schroedinger's Cat (Germany) for Psych / Space - Progressive Rock Music Forum Now, our very wise and prolific collab, Uwe “Rivertree”, was ever so slightly sceptical of this suggestion, and why would he not be? However! The artistic outlet of our dearly departed brother Iain was indicted into the Pantheon of Prog. Here is his page SCHROEDINGER'S CAT discography and reviews

By the way, this thread does also provide you with quantum learning as well as culture, and I know that all of you are extremely eager to learn why Mr Schroedinger was so fond of his pussy. Well, it is not, I am afraid, a reference to Ms Shroedinger’s foo foo, but is explained here extremely satisfactorily in the WikiOrgasm page Schrödinger's cat - Wikipedia There are people who get very excited by interpretations of quantum mechanics. I am not one of them, sadly.

Mr Hawk’s real name is, in fact, Sebastian Khan, not nearly as exciting or academic as Iain Hawk, so one can forgive the pseudonym I suppose. Or, of course, this extrapolation of different names could be what is commonly referred to by scientific pointy heads as a quark measurement problem. But, is his psych/space rock, which so excited our Serbian friend, any good? Well, you will have noted by now that his ten million albums have attracted a veritable vacuum of ratings, let alone reviews. This really must be addressed, so let us have a visit in real space time continuum to his Bandycramp page; Music | Schroedinger's Cat I have had a listen to a couple of tracks from Dark Matter. Flying around Yraal weighs in at over 40 minutes, which rather makes IQ look like a bunch of lazy slackers. It really isn’t that bad at all, and certainly should attract a little bit more interest from the prog masses than it has. He has been going for 30 years now, which is a long time, and his SadSpace page is included here for completeness Schroedinger's Cat - Posts | Facebook

So! We wish a very spaced out birthday to our glorious hero! Don’t let that pussy suffer, sir! Keep it medically moist!

Elsewhere in Proggerland, it is another day of heroic excitement, for we wish our exceptional SC, TCat, or Mike as his parents named him 60 years ago today in Canadaland, a very happy birthday.  Mike is prolific and extremely wise in these parts, so have a great day sir! 

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 14:55
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

(EDIT)

Then he registered for the third time, his signature was suitably academic and philosophical for a creature of Rhineland, it being the following; “Ars Longa Vita Brevis”. Now this translates into Anglespeak as life is short...(EDIT)
Another wonderful glimpse into the world of PA MIA'ers.
Quick note: As today's unofficial and completely temporary intern editor...
“Ars Longa Vita Brevis” actually translates to "Art is Long Life is Short".
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 15:10

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

(EDIT)

Then he registered for the third time, his signature was suitably academic and philosophical for a creature of Rhineland, it being the following; “Ars Longa Vita Brevis”. Now this translates into Anglespeak as life is short...(EDIT)

Thanks JD. For once, this was not one of my witticisms. There is actually an interesting story behind my relative ignorance of Latin. In Britain when I grew up, but not widely now, there was a split between state grammar schools where Latin and classics were taught, and state secondary modern schools, where people such as I went who failed the entrance exams (11 plus). There, the focus was more on traditional working class education for trades and etc. These days, most children go to comprehensive schools, mixed sex and a culmination of the vision of 60’s socialist governments advocating quality education for all (whether they deliver on this is a debate for another thread, this is merely the theory).

My interest in the classics, which remains to this day, was actually sparked by watching and then reading Graves’ I Claudius, and I can compete with the best now as regards Roman History. My language skills, however, remain to this day terrible. French was the only formal exam I failed at school, and whilst I am able to speak a little bit of Welsh owing to living here for 22 years (albeit very poorly) and pigeon Italian, that is the sum of it. When I translate, I either make a joke out of it, as I do frequently here on this thread, or rely on Googly Translate, which is not always wholly reliable.

In spite of some of the jokes I make, I seriously do ardently admire the many people on this forum who are able to converse in multiple languages, especially those who write fine reviews in English when it is not their mother tongue. I know I could never manage it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 15:15
Another good one Laz, given the appalling subject matter. And very nice that Mike has gotten some celebratory wishes. I only hope that he is recovering from his loss as he seems absent from the site lately.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 15:24

Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

(EDIT)

Then he registered for the third time, his signature was suitably academic and philosophical for a creature of Rhineland, it being the following; “Ars Longa Vita Brevis”. Now this translates into Anglespeak as life is short...(EDIT)

(EDIT-AGAIN) and whilst I am able to speak a little bit of Welsh owing to living here for 22 years (albeit very poorly) and pigeon Italian, that is the sum of it.

In spite of some of the jokes I make, I seriously do ardently admire the many people on this forum who are able to converse in multiple languages, especially those who write fine reviews in English when it is not their mother tongue. I know I could never manage it.
I whole heartily agree. Coming from a bilingual country and only speaking one language is one of the few regrets I have.

I also love your expression "pigeon Italian". In Canada we sometimes say "I know kitchen french", meaning not a helluva lot.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 15:38
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Another good one Laz, given the appalling subject matter. And very nice that Mike has gotten some celebratory wishes. I only hope that he is recovering from his loss as he seems absent from the site lately.

Thanks Steve. Mike has posted on the birthday thread in the Collab Zone this evening, and seems well. I purposely did not make reference to his loss, but I know all of us sympathise great,y with him.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 15:46
Oh, good news. His reviews are always top notch.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2021 at 18:08
Who is this Mike person?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 19>