Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The PA Happy Birthday Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2021 at 12:39
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Hehe... If this all works, then I think Mrs Laz will have a splendid time tonight... If this all doesn't work, I guess she still will have a good time, I trust - just don't spend all evening on PA, Laz! Beer

I do, of course, try to provide Mrs Laz with a fine time every night, and I am thinking in honour of Mr Toby or Not Toby to “become” firstly Romeo tomorrow night, Benedick Monday, Antony Tuesday, Julius Wednesday, Orsino Thursday, and Macbeth on Friday.

It’s not easy being a stud, but somebody has to do it!
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2021 at 09:45
Today in the PABT, we propose entry into the hallowed halls of birthdaydom our very good friend, Moose, who celebrates his 62nd birthday in the Land of the Free today.

Mr Moose, or Paul J Hausleben as he was named all those years ago, registered on our collective throng in December 2009, and lasted until August 2012, only bothering the prog masses with his opinion the once, which was to provide us with his Tull Top Ten. The lack of participation from this chap is, as shall be made clear, a bit of a shame.

When he joined, Paul gave his occupation as Facility Management, and his interests as prog, ham radio, football, and hockey.

Before we turn to the extremely interesting development of our departed brother, a word about his chosen occupation all the way back in 2009. Facility Management is one of those glorious corporate speak phrases wholly designed to bamboozle the proletariat into thinking something is a lot grander, and certainly better, than it is in the reality of most personages life. Because, at the end of the day, FM, as we surely must reduce it to its component acronym, is, amongst other essential duties, bog cleaning, ensuring that there are sufficient car park spaces for the workers, cleaning desktops and computers, and generally ensuring that the building in which people live and or work is of a sufficient statutory standard to escape the clutches of all them local ‘elf and safety wallahs. Undoubtedly, when a FM professional comes home of an evening, and his/her/they other half asks them what sort of a day they had, the response “I transformed the through flow of the essential diuretic systems” sounds a bloody sight better than “the f**king bogs were blocked, and I had to spend all day shoving poles down them”. Language is, of course, everything!

But, talking of transformation, this is precisely what Paul has done. For our former janitor is an author! Yes, someone who writes and gets his work published, and very prolific he is too. Take a look at his Bezos site entry; http://www.amazon.com/Paul-John-Hausleben/e/B00B7JCGXW%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share His bio states that he started writing part-time for a prog rock website, but I have been unable to find out where, so over to any of you who might remember him. Here he is on Bonreads; Paul John Hausleben (Author of Flying)

And before we find out even more reason why Paul should be inaugurated into the Temple of Heroes, let us see if his works are rated. Here is a link to a Barnes & Noble blurb of “Flying: A Story About True Heroes”. Flying. A Story About True Heroes by Paul John Hausleben | NOOK Book (eBook) | Barnes & Noble®

However, Paul deserves our support for even more reason, because he is clearly a chap for whom the thirsty prog throng should support very strongly. Prog fans are a discerning bunch, and not for us the gassy sh*te of Bud, Carling, Worthy Creamflow and etc. Oh, no. Only the best for us, proper ale, and Paul, it turns out, is the owner of the publishing house “God Bless The Keg” LLC, a company name to be truly proud of. Here is their website God Bless the Keg Publishing LLC, and from there you can take a link to the BrewersDroopBook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Publisher/God-Bless-the-Keg-Publishing-LLC-101457688499967/

They are based in Henrico, Virginia, a town of 331,000 souls. Regrettably, the town website is down, so no essential Janitorial information can be imparted to you.

So! Happy birthday, Paul. Let’s have a novel about this! Cottage Delight Old Farts Ale Alcohol - 500ml (CD760741)

Elsewhere in current collab news, it is a great pleasure to wish phlake, or Erik Paulson, a very happy 42nd birthday in Norway. Erik has been visiting our fjords since 2009, and is a member of that fine outfit Arabs in Aspic Arabs in Aspic - Home They are a highly rated heavy prog outfit on our site ARABS IN ASPIC discography and reviewsTale a listen to I Vow to Thee, My Screen and enjoy! https://youtu.be/KbymWd_wQIM

We also have a couple of Prog Reviewers celebrating their special day today, namely russellk and obiter, neither of whom have visited the forum for some time, but it does not prevent us from wishing them felicitations and love! Once a PA brother, always a PA brother! 

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2021 at 08:02
Today presented me with a difficult choice as to who to permit entry into the PABT temple. We have our usual selection of people registering for what appears to be absolutely no purpose whatsoever, including a chap in Poland attempting to flog the masses plastic waste grinding machines made in Singapore - if you are in desperate need of such equipment, and why would you not be, then take yourself off to  the newest design plastic waste grinding machine in Singapore

In the end, the choice boiled down to an interesting Indian chap based in Toronto and a member of the site with a fascinating prog back story from Israel, and it was our Israeli brother who won out in the end. So, let us take a slightly more reverential look than is usual in this thread at the life and times of Udi Koomran, who I am sure many of you will be familiar with, but not all, and for those of you who are not, he has an interesting story to tell.

Udi joined our beloved throng in 2008, and last visited us in 2020, counting as a senior member of the site. He celebrates his 59th birthday in that seething mass of humanity, Tel Aviv today.

Udi is a multi-talented individual. An audio engineer, producer, recorder, and active participant in musical ventures. From his Facekibbutz page, Udi Koomran | Facebook he works at Kolinor Stdios in Tel Aviv, who are listed on Discogs https://www.discogs.com/label/469320-Kolinor-Studios

Udi actually started off as a “teaboy & tapeop” at Wave Studios in London in the 80’s, having studied at The School of Audio Engineering in said metropolis based in the East End London | SAE Institute UK - Creative Media Courses in Audio Production, Music Business, Animation, VFX, Film, Games and Web Design As with many successful careers, a spell making tea for the gaffers is a prerequisite to success, although these days it would probably be called Hydration Executive.

He appears on Discogs himself  Udi Koomran | Discography | Discogs, and here we can see that he has recorded with some of the giants of the genre such as Gong and Soft Machine. The homepage he gave when he registered on the site was a blogspot, although this has not been updated in some nine years http://udi-koomran.blogspot.com/

Now, I don’t know about you, but I was not aware until today that there was such a creature as The Hebrew Guide to Progressive Rock, but there is, and Our Udi features on it in a wide-ranging English interview, including the fascinating revelation that he was sacked from Wave the day before he was due to undertake a project with the saintly Brain Eno Udi Koomran - English Interview I am not sure whether Udi ever met his dream lady, but I really hope that he did, because he comes across as a particularly nice chap in this interview. The Hebrew Guide is, btw, still very much alive, and for those of you who are conversant in this language, here is the site in all its glory רוק מתקדם - מדריך עברי - Mitkadem.co.il 

Udi has done many more interviews, and you might wish to take a look at his posts on the site. Here is a small snippet from the RIO/Avant Drop-In Centre http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50898&PN=74

Let us examine the affairs of one of the bands Udi was intimately involved in from his history, namely 5UU’s, founded by Dave Kerman in 1984 in The Land of the Free. Let us have a listen to Abandonship which features sound sculpting by our brother Abandonship | Dave Kerman / 5uu's | Cuneiform Records Those of you familiar with my tastes will know that RIO is not amongst my usual grooving stuff, but I did rather enjoy the brilliantly named Penguins on Dizengoff.  Here is the band’s entry on our beloved temple 5UU'S discography and reviewsAbandonship, incidentally, did receive a five star review by our most prolific reviewer, Mellotron Storm, and he certainly knows a good work when he hears it, and other exalted collabs also found much to enjoy.

His other major project is Present, and here is their PA page PRESENT discography and reviews Take a listen to a passage from High Infidelity https://youtu.be/E7XbncFCHOk Pretty challenging stuff, and probably a wee bit too challenging for a simple soul such as I, unfortunately.

So! Let us wish Yom Huledet Sameach to our very notable brother! Carry on noodling!

Elsewhere in Proggerland, well today is a biggie, folks. For we celebrate with our beloved brother, Clem of Nazareth, his 59th birthday. Bob Moore has been with us for a long time now, and is one of the nicest people on this site. An expert on folk prog, and with one of the truest signature quotes about. Happy birthday, Bob!

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 07:54
In a field of multiple birthdays today, indicating that 13 July was a particularly busy parental cuddles day, two candidates stood out for entry into our hallowed halls, but I discounted the vegan musician on the grounds that it probably wouldn’t be ethical writing about him whilst munching on a pork chop. Next year on 13 April, I will ask Mrs Laz to prepare for me some of those delicious Quorn veggie bangers for din dins.

So, the winner today is SirensSong. Michelle Keshel celebrates her 56th birthday in that wonderful town of Milwaukee in Wisconsin. This town is somewhere Mr Laz would obviously feel right at home in, given that it is celebrated for its breweries. And if I were reading this post in the Land of the Free today, I really would be getting into my Chevy and hot footing it over to the town this week, because their wonderful alderpersonages are giving very strong exhortations for folk to celebrate Black Restaurant Week there by visiting local eateries. In my opinion, this is extremely important, given that far too many of us visit restaurants painted in white, or red, or green, and pay far too little attention to the black fronted variety. The garbage collection services are provided by Sanitation, and make sure that you have your carts returned to the storage area by 10p.m. or you will face a well deserved fine! City of Milwaukee | Home As we will shortly find out, this is probably not something our birthday hero is overly fond of.

Michelle joined our beloved sisterhood in March 2009, and obviously didn’t much care for what she saw, given that she gave up the ghost a month later without troubling any of the throng with her thoughts on life, the universe, and whether that new bloke singing for Yes was really any good. This is especially disappointing, given that she listed her interests as EVERYTHING. And, she does actually have her fingers in quite a few pies. Our Michelle is what can only be described as a True Red White and Blue Entrepreneur, or Capitalist Pig Dog as Kim Porky Wrong Un would no doubt describe her in despatches to the proletariat.

Take a look at her SeparatedOut page, where she states her business as that of government procurement Michelle Keshel - CEO & Founder - SAS GPS - Government Procurement Solutions | LinkedIn Yep, this is the line of business so beloved by Tony Blair that it is rumoured that he flogged his mother’s knickers to the highest bidder back in the day, the process whereby monopolistic government work can be outsourced and run by, erm, monopolistic private firms. Let us examine her firms website to see what bargains are available to the moneyed amongst our prog throng Government Proposal Writting Services- $30 BIllion Won For Our Clients I personally, having been a bog and car park monitor, or Senior Responsible Manager as we call them, at a now closed government building in Wales am especially interested in the Facilities Management gig of The National Emergency Training Center. And, you can apply for all of these lucrative contracts safe in the knowledge that you are dealing with a “fearless leader” in Michelle. No, really. It must be true, because it says so on her SadBook page Say hello to SAS-GPS fearless... - Sales Automation Support | Facebook

And what also sets Michelle apart from her peers is that she is a pucker libertarian. She appeared in The Wisconsin Blue Book of 1999 as an alternate candidate for election in the 9th District for The State Executive Committee as a Libertarian Party of Wisconsin candidate. Now, I don’t know about you lot outside of The Land of the Free, but whilst I was aware there was a LP in Americaland, here in Blighty the media only really provide coverage to the elephant and donkey parties, aside from the odd barking mad billionaire who decides to have a ginormous ego-trip, er sorry, run for President.

Therefore, in keeping with many of the recent US political comments on the forum recently, let us take a look at said libertarians. Are they any good? Should they get your vote? Well, certainly in Iowa County Ward 2, the good electors placed their trust in a wonderfully beardy type in Christopher Clark as their alderperson. Should there be more?

Well, very excitingly for those of you already in town for Black Restaurant week, you can hop along to Eau Claire on April 24 for the annual LPWI fundraising raffle at the State Convention, although I would imagine that this might be a difficult thing to organise if a libertarian attending demanded raffle number 101, say, even though number 44 was next on the sheet. Actually, looking at the “libertarian positions” Libertarian Party of Wisconsin I am somewhat astounded that in a country which supposedly places the individual above all else, especially the state machinery, that they don’t do rather better. Can any of our Yankee Doodle brethren explain why this might be? I mean, what can you possibly object to here?; “The Libertarian Party is committed to America’s heritage of freedom: individual liberty and personal responsibility, a free-market economy of abundance and prosperity, a foreign policy of non-intervention, peace and free trade”. If everybody knew about this lot, President Uncle Joe Stalin would most certainly have cause for concern!

So! We wish our departed sister Michelle a very happy birthday! Keep that flag flying fearlessly! If there are any cheap deals going, be sure to contact me via David Cameron - he needs all the help he can get at the moment! **

In other Proggerland news, it is a pleasure to wish AFlowerKingCrimson a very happy 51st birthday all the way over in Philly. Mike has been a prolific and wonderful member of our publicly quoted brethren since October 2016. Happy birthday, Sir!

**for those of you who do not follow the news, simply Google “David Cameron Greensill” for the latest hilarious lobbying scandal here in Blighty. Couldn’t happen to a nicer tit.  

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 10:19
In other Proggerland news, it is a pleasure to wish AFlowerKingCrimson a very happy 51st birthday all the way over in Philly. Mike has been a prolific and wonderful member of our publicly quoted brethren since October 2016. Happy birthday, Sir!

Thank you sir for that birthday greeting. I might not be the most active member on here or even a collaborator but I do what I can do by participating when approrpriate. That includes not just responding to threads but also making band suggestions, creating polls, posting relevent news and vendor links and very occasionally an album review(something I admit I need to step up a bit on). I'm glad to see you remembered. Do you keep everyone's birthday date in a file somewhere? Wink Also, as it just so happens technically I've been on progarchives since before 2016. That's just when I joined with this username. Before that I was on here under a different username from 2005 to 2014.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 13 2021 at 10:25
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 10:49
Our dear and witty Steve has disabled the What's Going On? Today's Birthdays feature at PA and is instead relying on information gathered by Welsh intelligence services that make the CIA and FBI look like amateurs by comparison.

A very happy Cafodd yr heddlu eu galw i ardal Llanrwst to you, Mike.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 10:49
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Thank you sir for that birthday greeting. I might not be the most active member on here or even a collaborator but I do what I can do by participating when approrpriate. That includes not just responding to threads but also making band suggestions, creating polls, posting relevent news and vendor links and very occasionally an album review(something I admit I need to step up a bit on). I'm glad to see you remembered. Do you keep everyone's birthday date in a file somewhere? Wink Also, as it just so happens technically I've been on progarchives since before 2016. That's just when I joined with this username. Before that I was on here under a different username from 2005 to 2014.

You are most welcome!

I would like to state that I am as well organised as you infer with files and etc., but it is far more basic than that. When you register on PA, and you include your birthdate, you automatically come up on “today’s birthdays” at the bottom of the forum homepage.

Hope you have a great day!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 10:52
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Our dear and witty Steve has disabled the What's Going On? Today's Birthdays feature at PA and is instead relying on information gathered by Welsh intelligence services that make the CIA and FBI look like amateurs by comparison.

A very happy Cafodd yr heddlu eu galw i ardal Llanrwst to you, Mike.

Welsh Intelligence Services. Sounds like a wee bit of an oxymoron! LOL

It was not, by the way, I who called the police to Llanrwst, but the other bloke!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 10:55
^ It seems my Canadian intelligence sources got it wrong -- I heard it straight from the Mounties (RCMP) horse's rear end.

One doesn't often hear the words Welsh and intelligence used in the same sentence.    

Edited by Logan - April 13 2021 at 10:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 15:04
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

You are most welcome!

I would like to state that I am as well organised as you infer with files and etc., but it is far more basic than that. When you register on PA, and you include your birthdate, you automatically come up on “today’s birthdays” at the bottom of the forum homepage.

Hope you have a great day!

Ok, I see now. Since there are so many people who are listed as having a birthday each day how do you decide who gets a birthday mention? 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 13 2021 at 16:07
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 15:55
^ Well, Mr Birthday boy, this is the process.

I get up in the morning, and make myself a cup of tea in order to feel something like a normal human being again.

I turn on PA, look at new reviews, then new posts on the forum, whilst listening to Times Radio.

I then have a quick look at all the birthday boys and girls, and see which ones spring to mind would make either an interesting or fun post, and of course possibly both.

This is whittled down to a couple, and I might do a couple of quick searches to get a picture in my mind of what I want to say.

I then have a sh*t and a shower, go to get my paper and stuff from the village shop. Upon my return home, I make breakfast. I then do a day’s work, or gardening, watch sport etc. if it is the weekend.

In the evening, after doggy walkies, I pour myself my first pint of beer, and then decide who it is I am going to target, do some searches, make sure it is the right person, and then write the post on notes before pasting it to the forum.

Following this, I have more ale, have dinner, and then either read, listen to music, or watch television (usually streaming), and then go to bed.

In the morning, I start all over again.

This, my dear friends, is the extraordinarily exciting, and really quite beautiful, life of Mr Laz and PABT.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 16:09
Who is PABT? 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 16:44

Who is PABT? 

What is PABT? The world famous Prog Archives Birthday Thread, i.e. where you posted your message. Here, thus.
It, the PABT, celebrates mostly the ephemeral PA-members who deserve (?) that their birthday be celebrated for eternity and by the PA Community. The world famous PABT was created by lazland, himself, who just exposed to you all the efforts he invests in creating all these valuable accounts on those people who happen to age (although I must admit there is a kind of an ellipse in his "I then do a day’s work", which in my opinion lacks some detail...).
Otherwise, the PABT is a valuable information source to secure a better life to everyone of the PA community, thanks to its announcements, warnings, advice and transmission of primordial knowledge. It should be acknowledged as a public service.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2021 at 17:12
PABT, not to be confused with the noise of that routine bog visit, which might sound something like this: "P-p-paaaaaaabbb-b-bt-t-t." That said, I'm crap at onomatopoeia.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2021 at 11:43
Well today in PABTland, we celebrate the birthday of a chap whose birthday it is, in fact, not. Yep, that’s right. We wish our beloved felicitations to a brother on 14 April when his real birthday is 11 October. This makes him, of course, rather like Her Majesty The Queen in that he has two birthdays! By the way, just in case any of you were thinking of reporting me for mentioning Her Majesty when we are here in Blighty in a period of official mourning for the loss of The Duke of Edinburgh, I did obtain permission from Buckingham Palace in advance. One has to observe the protocols, you know.

How did we arrive at this situation, a very exciting first at PABT?

Well, Tonymooremanila joined our happy throng in December 2018, and hung around for an entire 12 minutes before disappearing into the ether not to be heard from again. His homepage link is not live, although I will provide the correct one as we go on. He gave his location as San Diego and his birthday as 14 April 1991. Not one bit of this is correct, although Tony Moore is, in fact, a wee bit of a celeb, and is someone who our more ‘eadbanging brethren will wet themselves over.

What caught my eye, and led me to finding out precisely who Tony is, was his signature, which reads thus; “Tony Moore is a singer/songwriter/manager producer/promoter and Director of Music, Art and Development for the legendary Bedford in Balham.” You see, The Bedford in Balham has as much in common with San Diego as I have with Marilyn Monroe. It is a boozer in London, and one I have frequented more than once when visiting our glorious capital city when there on business. Here it is;  The Bedford – iconic bar, restaurant and live music venue with hotel rooms You will note that a little known singer with big glasses by the name of Ed Sheehan has played there. And have a guess who arranged this particular gig? Yep, you got it. Our brother Tony! Wait now, it gets even more exciting!

For Tony plays there himself! Have a look see from September 2020, and scroll down for some even more exciting revelations LIVE AT THE BEDFORD - The Bedford Pub London Yes, all you hairy brethren, be still your beating hearts. For Our Tony was only an original member of Iron Maiden, playing keyboards with that exalted outfit. Here is an interview with Power of Metal, including a photo of Tony and the boys in all their yoofful glory Interview with TONY MOORE (ex-Iron Maiden) » Power Of Metal.dk

You will note from this that our dear brother subsequently went on to join a prog band called England, and the Blighty Brigade are in The Temple of Prog! Here is their page; ENGLAND discography and reviews You will note from this some pretty complementary comments from our exalted collab reviewers, including a five star effort from that font of all prog knowledge, Mr Psycho Paul! 

Here is the actual site for Moore in Manila on MePolaroid; tony moore manila by tonymooremanila on YouPic and here is the blurb for the song in question We invite Tony Moore in Manila Philippines - New Song: I Believe in You - tonymooreuk.over-blog.com Actually, I Believe In You is really rather good in a sentimental sort of way, bless.

Here is his official website where you can groove to far more Moore stuff NEWS - Tony Moore, and also here is his WikiDoDo page where you can also read about his time with Cutting Crew if that takes your fancy Tony Moore (musician) - Wikipedia

Last, but by no means least, our multi-talented brother also does a wee bit of radio presenting with Soho Radio, Soho being that area of London traditionally associated with ladies of questionable repute Tony Moore (@tonymoore1) / Twitter and here is Soho Radio’s site where you can groove along to all sorts of music for Da Yoof Home - Soho Radio

To return to the start of this historical post, I have absolutely no idea whatsoever why our very good friend Tony put down an incorrect birthday. In all honesty, unless one of our Roving Reporters can unearth this, it is one of those strange life thingies which will remain forever a mystery until the end of civilisation as we know it.

However! We wish a very happy non-birthday to Tony! Keep on rocking, sir! Don’t expect another mention in October, mind!

In present collab news, we send our very best wishes to our dear friend, Imperial Zeppelin. Nasir, who hails from that hotbed of prog, erm Kuwait, joined our beastly throng in 2013, and has happily contributed wonderfully ever since. Happy birthday, sir!

Also, we should also provide an honourable mention to MRR, formerly powerofprog. Nick Katona is the CEO of Melodic Revolution Records, and often posts here to provide the masses with the latest grooves from that exalted entity. Happy birthday, sir! Sign Tony Moore, please! 

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 05:30
Another good one Laz, and really entertaining. Having a bit of professional familiarity with Iron Maiden, I can tell you that Tony was an early member before the days of Bruce Dickenson as lead vox. This story of musicians who ducked out of a band before they hit the gravy train and remain in the professional margins is quite common and quite sad. For every musician that makes it big thousands spend the rest of their lives in relative anonymity just scraping together a living and probably mulling over what could have been.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 06:07
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Another good one Laz, and really entertaining. Having a bit of professional familiarity with Iron Maiden, I can tell you that Tony was an early member before the days of Bruce Dickenson as lead vox. This story of musicians who ducked out of a band before they hit the gravy train and remain in the professional margins is quite common and quite sad. For every musician that makes it big thousands spend the rest of their lives in relative anonymity just scraping together a living and probably mulling over what could have been.

Yes, thanks Steve. His is an interesting story, and it would actually be an extremely interesting thread to recount those “lost” artists who jumped ship before fame beckoned - one to hand over to you, perhaps?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 07:03
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Yes, thanks Steve. His is an interesting story, and it would actually be an extremely interesting thread to recount those “lost” artists who jumped ship before fame beckoned - one to hand over to you, perhaps?
I think I'll pass on that one. Some who missed the gravy train have gone on to successful careers in different disciplines, but generally nothing that music fans would find interesting. Unless one is interested in how lorry drivers are dispatched for a day's work, as an example.

However, many don't have positive stories, and the usual topics involve depression, substance abuse and the like. So, I feel it would be a bit of a struggle for me to separate the wheat from the chaff on a steady basis.

Edited by SteveG - April 15 2021 at 07:05
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2021 at 09:36
Today on PABT, we are going to pay a visit to the marvellous world of female-fronted prog metal, including for your delectation and delight some growling! Not your author’s usual cup of tea, I grant you, but let’s see where it takes us.

guitarrero joined our hairy throng in April 2011, and hung around for a few months only. He did post a few times, and not always to promote his band. He celebrates his 40th birthday in Fuerth, Germany, or Fürth as some of our more Germanic brethren would no doubt call it. Regrettably, owing to the fact that Mr Laz is not particularly conversant in German, I am unable to bring you the essential Northern Bavarian garbage and recycling collection news, but I am very pleased to report that for all you lovers of the beef patty, there is on the town’s website an essential bürger service portal, which is a truly wonderful thing for the town to provide to its hungry citizenry Das offizielle Internetportal der Stadt Fürth - Internetportal der Stadt Fürth

Dave Mola is/was the guitarist and mellotron player with Effloresce, who were added to the Temple of Prog by that bastion of progressive knowledge, Mr Olav Windhawk. Here is their entry EFFLORESCE discography and reviews As you will note, they have only released the one full album, namely Coma Ghosts, in 2012, which was pretty well received by the hairy masses hereabouts. There has been nothing since, but it is noted that our exalted Kev Rowland did track down the lead singer Nicki Weber in 2018 who stated that it is hoped that a second album will follow. It is unclear whether Our Kev made the point to our German Hairies that this level of activity plonks them very firmly in the Peter Gabriel camp of recording activity.

Here is the band’s website, and one is instantly struck by the suitably metal hairy poses of the protagonists Effloresce – official site of german progressive metal band

So! Are they any good? If you pop on over to the “discography” part of their site, you can have a listen, and as I write this post, I am banging my head along to Crib. After a gentle intro, the track bursts into hairy life, and we are treated to Nicki’s dulcet tones. You must, though, take a listen to Spectre Pt. 1: Zorya’s Dawn. This is a belter of a track, clocking in at over 10 minutes long and very innovative with some wonderful proggy (including a gorgeous flute solo) and  heavier moments, including the growl, and what a growl this lovely lady has within her! Opeth? Who they? Highly recommended, folks! When do we get Part The Second?

On the live part of the site, they have played with some heavyweights of the genre, including IQ and Dave Kerzner, but nothing since 2016. Here is Swimming Through Deserts live on GoggleBox https://youtu.be/ElybO1CYMig Mighty guitar solo there from our departed brother!

So, what is Dave up to now? Well, in order to be able to afford the bürgers and fritters on offer from the municipality, he is employed in marketing at Musikhaus Thomann. This, you will be glad to know, is not just any old boring corporate gig, but said firm are, in fact, Europe’s biggest music store. Really! Take a look at all the drool inducing goodies on offer on their website Welcome – Thomann UK Our Dave is also still active musically. He plays bass and acoustic guitar with Between The Waves and guitar with Time Shift Accident. I can’t see anything for the former band, but Time Shift Accident are also entries in the Pantheon of Prog TIME SHIFT ACCIDENT discography and reviews and, again, their one album has attracted a couple of decent reviews. You can listen to Chronosthesia on their BrandyCamp page, and this is a million miles away from hairy thrashing, being more of the fusion thing, but Our Dave has some great licks in this ▶︎ Chronosthesia | Time Shift Accident | Generation Prog Records

So! We wish a very Alles Gute zum Geburtstag to Dave! Keep riffing along! Give us part two of Zorya, please!

Elsewhere in progland, no present collab news to report. 

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2021 at 08:48
Sometimes when you do this job, you come across people whom it is virtually impossible to track down. Lost to Progkind forever, so to speak. Today’s birthday hero or heroine is not quite there, but he/she does rather leave more questions unanswered than we would usually hope and expect, but, of course, that can also be a good thing. It leaves much to your imagination, which might well be what he/she intended, I don’t know. Anyhoo, let us have some fun.

gorgar joined our hormonally charged throng in March 2006, and only stayed for a couple of weeks. It was the signature he/she posted and the first post which caught my eye.

Take a look at the post of 25 March 2006, which matches the subsequent signature http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14757 Talking with English Mans is, of course, a thoroughly understandable and, indeed, laudable pursuit, and as a red-blooded, extremely handsome English Mans myself, I set out to find a little bit more, although purely in the interests of academic interest, you understand. I am a happily married man after all!

The subsequent small number of posts have Our István apologising profusely for not being able to converse in English. And then, István simply disappeared. What can we learn of this person ever so eager to learn and converse with us?

The forum name, Gorgar, is actually a pinball machine. Indeed, according to its Wikipeepee page, it was in 1979 the world’s first speech synthesised pinball machine Gorgar - Wikipedia 

There is a hit on Deviant Art for our departed soul, but there is absolutely nothing posted on there, which only serves to deepen the mystery even further https://www.deviantart.com/gorgar84/about However, I then found a hit on Pinterest featuring photographs of a young personage of the female persuasion, with one showing her rather the worst for wear, clearly having consumed far too much Dreher Bak the previous night, and quite obviously incapable of conversing with herself, let alone eager young English Mans https://hu.pinterest.com/gorgar84/

However, I then found a hit for István on a music site advertising Cain Records Studios, showing the correct date of birth, so definitely our person, showing an extremely hirsute Gardener Technician playing the bass guitar and involved in a project called Forgotten Years who seem to be, well, forgotten in that no trace exists of them, although you can see some photos of them performing in the “Pictures” section of the site. In addition, said bassist is quite clearly of the male variety of the ape-like species which infests our planet, which might well be a deterrent to many of the English Mans who have struggled to this point in the post, although not, of course, all of you. Here is the site; Google Translate A Gardener Technician, by the way, doesn’t only dig the sods and plant the roses. Oh no, it is far more involved than that, as I found out when visiting a jobs site, which stated that the successful lucky candidate would be responsible for; “We design planting schemes and provide grounds maintenance services for our clients' work spaces both interior and exterior, carrying out ongoing maintenance and associated services at various client locations.” Oh well, actually it is just digging and planting, but as with everything else in the modern corporate jungle we call civilisation, the job title sounds pretty good, no?

And there the trail ends. Nothing more to be seen or found. Zippo. Nit. Nowt. So, a very real mystery for the chap or chapette who begged us to converse with him/her in The Land of the Magyars.

It does not, though, prevent us from saying Boldog Születésnapot to our very good friend István, bless him/her. He is clearly a Lost Mans, although he/she will always be very dear to the heart of this English Mans!

Elsewhere, no present collabs to report. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>