Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The PA Happy Birthday Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 19>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 10:42
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Wowie... I never encountered a real FBI agent... Not knowingly, anyway. And we cannot say that he is very active spying on us...
Otherwise, didn't you think that johnny depp would be older than 36?

Isn’t Captain Sparrow ageless? LOL
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 05:45
Well today, on this most romantic of days, and whilst Mr Laz awaits his lovely gorgeous wife completing a video call, I have decided to go for culture, philosophy, and history. In other words, naff all to do with romance whatsoever. This is a prog rock site, after all, and one where the merest whiff of a bloke called Phil waxing lyrical about loving a personage of the female form tends to reduce most here to paroxysms of extreme stroppiness.

We have had many persons fleetingly pass through the temple of prog we call the Archives. Many of them are musicians and artists trying to flog us their wares, and, indeed, there are more than one of them whose birthday we could have celebrated today.

A lot of them, well we don’t even know their names. One such chap was Jupiter Island, who joined our site on his 17th birthday, bless him, in 2008, and last visited us in 2015, during which time he shared his thoughts with us a mere 9 times.

What caught my eye, though, was his signature. I quote; “We owe a rooster to Asclepius. Please don’t forget to pay the debt “. In fact, this is a little bit of a misquote, because the actual quote used the word Cock, rather than rooster, given that the man in question, one Mr Socrates, had not been seriously acquainted with the b*****disation of English which is commonly spoken in Americaland.

Old Socrates was one of the philosophers commonly credited as being a cornerstone of modern Western thinking, so the next time you despair at the bloody clowns who run our lives, you know who to curse! He was, somewhat unfortunately for him, sentenced to death in Athens for “corrupting the young”, so obviously the original thinker who brought Pop Idol to unwitting ancient audiences, and “not recognising the gods the city recognises”, as which temple one frequented in those days was a wee bit more important than in modern degenerate times, you know.

Asclepius was born a mere human, and was a quack, or MD as was undoubtedly written on his graduation scroll. He had a skill which would have been pretty handy in these plague-ridden times, in that he not only cured the living, but resurrected the dead. However, rather understandably for a divine being, Mr Hades became rather worried at this development, given that it was robbing him of more customers than a typical lockdown, and arranged for Mr Zeus to throw a thunderbolt and kill the good doctor, who, unfortunately, was unable to comply with the age-old call of “physician, heal thyself!” Mr Zeus did, though, make amends and resurrect him as a God following an entreaty from that very nice God who appeared on Star Trek once.

So, why the quote? Well, in true utterly incomprehensible philosopher fashion, Socrates, upon hearing that his head was to be lopped ‘orf, believed that he had “been cured of the disease of life, and was not frightened of his impending death”, and the usual way of giving thanks to being cured of disease was to sacrifice a healthy young cock, or rooster as they undoubtedly still do in parts of deepest Tennessee, to said Doctor God.

So, there you go. If nothing else Jupiter Island has contributed to a growth in the classical knowledge of his fellow proggers. And for that reason, if no other, I know you will join me in wishing a hail and hearty Hróna Polá to our Roman interloper divine being. Enjoy, sir! Go steady with those olives and wine!

Elsewhere, no current contributors to our site enjoy a combination of a birthday and Valentine nooky session, but a very prolific contributor for a number of years, Pastor Rex Cat, is 59 today. Make sure you pray in the right temple, my friend. You can no longer claim to be ignorant of the consequences of not doing so!  

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 07:24
Heh heh.  He said "cock".  
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2021 at 08:17
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Heh heh.  He said "cock".  

I am, of course, making the altogether reasonable, and certainly more palatable, conclusion that the cock one sacrificed to Doctor God was of the genus we enjoy for a finger lickin’ good meal, as opposed to one’s Percy. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 11:45
Before we go any further with today’s forensic birthday celebrations, I know that each and every one of you will wish to shout out, very loudly as he is probably getting to be a wee bit mutton geoff, Feliz Cumpleaños to ProgDroog, or Alan as his Mexican parents rather more sensibly named him on 15 February 1914.

Yep, Alan is quite easily the oldest progger in town, being born before WWI even commenced. As a sprightly 99 year old, he was a medical student. Well, nothing beats life experience when trusting someone to burrow inside one’s bowels, I suppose.

Elsewhere, we celebrate the special day of a distinguished public servant. Given that Mr Laz humbly serves Her Majesty’s Government every waking hour, he always appreciates someone cut from the same cloth. 

Biman, or Thomas Bie, the forum name sadly being a reference to his name, and not a celebration of who he likes to jump on top of naked (although you never know, of course), reaches the milestone of his 50th birthday today, so only 57 years behind our Mexican veteran. Thomas joined us for one month in 2009, and unfortunately didn’t provide us with the benefit of his wisdom on the proportion of Danes who enjoy a wee bit of prog noodling over dancing naked to Lady Gaga. This is a massive loss to this site, because if anyone could tell us the answer to this burning question, it would have been Thomas, for he is the Kontorchef, or Head of Division to those of us who speak the Queen’s English (and Americanese, of course, well up to a point) of Danmarks Statistik, the Danish governments National Statistics department. No really. Thomas Bie - Kontorchef / Head of Division - Danmarks Statistik | LinkedIn What’s more, his responsibilities include tax statistics, so no doubt he would have been able to fully support me when I tell you that there are lies, damned lies, and government statistics, especially when it comes to tax (note to any government police chaps  looking at this post. My full name is John Aloysius Doe, and I reside at 55 Porky Street, Honolulu. I would give you my telephone number, but I have just finished some medical treatment from Alan, and don’t expect to be fully fit for at least 3 years and 10 months, by which time I shall be retiring. Okay? Good oh!).

So, is Thomas celebrating his birthday with a glass of Tuborg Pilsner, the statistically most popular beer in his homeland, or Carl’s Porter, number 12 on the hit parade, and clearly barking juice at 7.8%? Only he can tell, but I know that you will all join me in hollering out Tillykke Med Fødselsdagen to our dear friend Thomas. Go Viking, my friend.! Keep a close count of those beers!

In collab news, Stefro, or Stefan Turner as Mummy and Daddy call him, a prog reviewer on the site who has sadly been absent from the forum for a while, is 39 today, and hopefully celebrating hard in the cauldron which is East London. Happy Birthday, Stefan! 

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2021 at 12:10
Today I have designated the birthday thread as the female birthday thread. Yep, the fairer sex by a country mile is a little bit underrepresented, and in some quarters perhaps under appreciated by the male dominated hothouse that is the PA Forum, but not in Lazland. We have, in fact, had many female members over the years,  yet not many stay the long term course, perhaps because of sweaty blokes leering over their keyboards, or being shouted at by Ivan, puts them off.

So, let us celebrate the special day of two of our talented wimmin members.

First up, Termedea, who celebrates her 35th birthday in Borlänge, Sweden today. Mikaela Hedberg joined our wonderful site in May 2009 and stayed for all of one minute. At the time, she was a spotty student, and liked music and computers. Well, she still likes her music, and it is of the prog variety, as her Twitty feed thingy makes clear; https://twitter.com/mikaelahedberg We could have done with a little bit more of Mikaela’s multi talents hereabouts. Personal development, agile leadership (very important when you constantly change your mind about things), digitalisation, IT, and Management. She also appears on Github, which I thought was some form of personal abuse, but no, it is where folks go to develop software collaboratively (collaboration being the in thing amongst trendy corporate types). Put this girl in touch with M@X! Termedea (Mikaela Hedberg) · GitHub Looking at her LastFM page, it is a shame she didn’t stick around, because she has decent eclectic taste Termedea’s Music Profile | Last.fm 

Anyhoo, it’s our loss, but we will all shout very loudly Grattis på Födelsedgen to our dearly departed friend!

We also have a fairer sex PA artist celebrating her 54th birthday today. ViolinCyndee was born Cyndee Lee Rule 54 years ago today in the Home of the Brave. She is a musician and musical instructor, who likes violin (which is quite handy as this is her instrument), space rock, and vegetarian cooking, something Mrs Laz is under strict instructions to avoid plonking on the Lazland dinner table owing to a deep fondness on my part for eating slaughtered beasts.

Cyndee is on PA at CYNDEE LEE RULE discography and reviews and you can see that she has played with some prog luminaries. Unfortunately, she only made the one album, reviewed by Olav. She plays with Space Mirrors, who appear on our sister site, hairy music archives Cyndee Lee Rule - Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives and here SPACE MIRRORS discography and reviews playing alongside one Nic Turner, making his second appearance in the birthday thread. Cyndee hasn’t visited us since 2012, which is a shame, because she was quite prolific and knowledgeable when she was here.

Happy birthday, Cyndee!

In collab news, ZowieZiggy is 62 today. Daniel is a Prog Reviewer, but sadly hasn’t visited for a wee while. Also, Man Erg, or Lee as his parents rather less interestingly named him, is 61 today. Lee is an Honorary Collaborator,  who also hasn’t felt the need to visit his prog friends for a little while.

Happy birthday chaps! Come back to the bosom of your prog family!

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 11:25
Today, we celebrate two of our favourite PA characteristics in one special person, these being persons of the female form, and persons who join only to shamelessly plug their favourite muse. Yep, Missy Michelle joined the brethren (or should that be sistren?) in June 2004, and stayed for less than one month in order to twice shout out to the assembled prog masses her devotion to Rattlesnake Remedy.

There was one small problem with this, as was somewhat starkly pointed out to her by other site members, given that said Snaky personages bore no relevance to prog whatsoever. Michelle obviously took a wee bit of umbrage at this, because she has not visited since, and, hence, celebrates her 54th birthday today without the love of PA forum members.

Research shows us that her real name is Michelle Ballard, and she posted photos of her favourites on Her Space here Photos from Rattlesnake Remedy (rattlesnakeremedy) on Myspace

Rattlesnake Remedy were an ‘eavy metal band from that cesspit of industrial Engerland, Birmingham, home, of course, to Ozzy and The Sabs, Judas Priest, and those other metal gods, erm, Moody Blues. Michelle’s involvement may not have been altogether altruistic, given that one of the rock hunks in the band was one Dave Ballard. They have a Wikipeepee page Rattlesnake Remedy - Wikipedia. I personally love the name change at the end of their career in 2009, when they morphed to Caduga. The reason for this? Well, they justified it with a famous Picasso quote, thus; “Every act of creation is thus an act of destruction”. It is, of course, heartwarming to know that prog doesn’t have a complete monopoly on pretentious bollocks, yes? Also, quite what Caduga itself means, well only Dave and Michelle know. 

The band split in 2011, and do not appear on our sister site, Hairy Music Archives, although I am sure one of the collabs there would wish to rectify this anomaly. I listened today to the track which attracted a record 44 head banging fans, namely Drag You Down https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=toQECKPQaHw&feature=share Pretty standard dandruff gathering stuff, excepting for the notable feature that the lead singer quite clearly placed a tight strap around his testicles in order to effect a Geddy Lee atmosphere to the vocal department.

So, as they undoubtedly are toasting in Brum this evening, ‘appy birthdoy Michelle! Bang that head, girl!

In collab news, it is a very happy birthday to a completely decent guy, Marty Mcfly, a Special Collab around these parts who, unfortunately hasn’t visited in a wee while. He is 32 today. Happy birthday, Marty!

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 12:46
I was also curious about JohnyJohny, a boy so nice his mama named him twice. He chose an angry face avatar and listed his occupation as Chief Executive Officer, (of what we can only guess), but he only lasted 4 seconds.

Also of note is ProgMetalist who lurked around for a year and a half but never posted. Since ProgMetalist never posted, we will never have any idea what his favorite genre of music is.

Edited by Easy Money - February 17 2021 at 12:47
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 13:42
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I was also curious about JohnyJohny, a boy so nice his mama named him twice. He chose an angry face avatar and listed his occupation as Chief Executive Officer, (of what we can only guess), but he only lasted 4 seconds.

Also of note is ProgMetalist who lurked around for a year and a half but never posted. Since ProgMetalist never posted, we will never have any idea what his favorite genre of music is.

There was a quite a choice today, 17 May obviously being a siren date for moms and dads the world over to get it on. Anything to keep warm, I suppose.

Yes, what precisely was JohnyJohny Chief Executive of? As you say, we can only guess, but a future birthday post might have a wee bit of fun guessing.

I am also fairly sure that if he had posted, Mr ProgMetalist would certainly have proclaimed his undying fealty to Dream Theater. However, given that he would be joining a rather crowded room of such people, probably best that he didn’t!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 13:46
Yeah, it's real mystery what the favorite kind of music someone with the name progmetalist could be. LOL
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 15:09
I bet his favourite band is Flairck... Ermm

And I learned today that the hair bands use testicle straps to improve their vocal performances... Never thought of that!

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 15:11
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

I bet his favourite band is Flairck... Ermm

And I learned today that the hair bands use testicle straps to improve their vocal performances... Never thought of that!

If it’s good enough for Barry Gibb, it’s good enough for metal!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2021 at 12:01
Well, it is yet another musical celebration today in PA Birthday Land.

Firstly, we visit Gliss Bliss, which, as those of who who are into the wild and wacky world of the late and barkingly great Daevid Allen will know, is from the track Gliss Bliss For Fliss City from Gentle Genie in 1979.

Niall McQuaid is 56 today and was a member for nine years, posting Floydian and wacky stuff. His signature was inspirational. “Let’s go to church and be good looking”. This is, of course, especially important to The Lord, who, it is well known, has a severe aversion to ugly wugglies tainting his house, and most certainly a decent smiting invariably follows should they dare to cross the threshold.

Niall stated his occupation as a student when he joined us, but these days he is a wee bit of a teacher on The Emerald Isle. He can be found on Tweety Pie at https://twitter.com/pinkfloydish 

As can be seen, Niall teaches the Bodhran, which is an Irish frame drum, beloved by all serious Celtic beardy types. So, if you are ever Bogside, and fancy a wee bit of a hit, go and visit the school. Lá breithe shona duit to you, sir! Carry on banging!

On a slightly more serious note, I would also very much hope that Fekete, or Yoel Schwarcz, is still with us to celebrate his 84th birthday, but, try as I might, I cannot say for certain that he is. Yoel was a member of Continuum, a fusion band who released a couple of albums in the early seventies. They are on the site CONTINUUM discography and reviews Further, please do take the time to read an exceptional interview that Bob (Easy Livin) conducted with him in 2006 on this site. Yoel Schwarcz of Continuum, May 2006 - Progressive Rock Music Forum It really is fantastic reading, and an example of how we should conduct such work for the posterity the Archives was set up for.

Happy birthday, Yoel.

In collab news, well today is a biggy. 65 years and nine months ago, Rivertree’s parents decided to get it together and create a future Special Collaborator. Uwe is a prolific and greatly respected person hereabouts, so let’s all shout out a very happy birthday, Uwe! Enjoy!

Another SC, Evolutionary Sleeper, or Luke as he might be better known to those he stays awake with, is 34 today. Luke hasn’t been here for a wee while, but we wish him all the best! 

Blimey! A busy one today! Time for Mr Laz to relax with some beer and a pork chop.  

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2021 at 18:46
Worthy birthday tributees indeed. I'm sure you also noticed TernTerror,
TernTerror is actually Jeroen from Terneuzen where I guess he terrorizes people somehow, hence his site name. Jeroen lists his interests as "Having Fun", which is a refreshing change from all the people who list such things such as "Being Miserable" or "Crying Alone".

The most remarkable thing about Jeroen though is that he let us in on all of this without spending one second here. That's right, Jeroen defies time itself .

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=24791

Edited by Easy Money - February 18 2021 at 18:50
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 11:04
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Worthy birthday tributees indeed. I'm sure you also noticed TernTerror,
TernTerror is actually Jeroen from Terneuzen where I guess he terrorizes people somehow, hence his site name. Jeroen lists his interests as "Having Fun", which is a refreshing change from all the people who list such things such as "Being Miserable" or "Crying Alone".

The most remarkable thing about Jeroen though is that he let us in on all of this without spending one second here. That's right, Jeroen defies time itself .

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=24791

Love it! LOL
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2021 at 11:06
Today, Lazland is staying local (ish) for the celebrations, for we have a genuine Welshman as our star turn today. Yep, Nicdafis, or Nick Davies as he would be called had his parents not hailed from the wonderful Celtic tribe self describing as Welsh. This is, of course, completely contrary to the English immigrant upstarts who inhabit Lazland and still have the cheek to support the glorious White Rose Engerland boys at rugby.

Nic is 54 today, and looking at his website  Morfablog – Blogio'r byd yn wyrdd   and his occupation as a Welsh Tutor at Aberystwyth University, he would most certainly have been frothing at the mouth with anger at the utterly disgraceful comments of the now sacked Iceland (the supermarket chain, not the country) PR guru who forgot the bit in the PR job description that you are supposed to win the public over when he described the Welsh language on Twits Are Us as incomprehensible and gibberish. Even worse, the company are based in, erm, North Wales. For those who have not had the pleasure of hearing our Celtic brethren in the flesh, Dickhead in English translates into Welsh as, yes you guessed it, Dickhead! https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/iceland-wales-director-comments-b920192.html All of which goes to prove that there is no idiot quite as idiotic as a PR man who speaks his “mind” on social meeja.

Nic also deserves our gratitude, because he is trying his best to save us all. Yep, he is quite clearly a disciple of that nice Greta Thunberg who is trying to stop the planet frying, although I did see a photograph of her holding a sign up in blizzard-ridden Sweden the other day exclaiming “I’ve changed my mind. It’s f**king freezing here!”. Our Nic spent three days in Cardiff in 2019 with his fellow beardy vegan burger munchers as part of an Extinction Rebellion protest At home with Extinction Rebellion: Life after the protest - Wales Online

So, let us please all shout out Penblwydd Hapus to Nic! A bonus point to all of you who can pronounce the incomprehensible words properly just like me! Whoops!

No present collab special days to report.

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 08:46
A difficult choice for the birthday celebrations today in Progland.

I could have gone for allegedly the oldest swinger in town, namely dirtybanana, aka Flashgit, who loved our site so much he also joined as Nebukadnezar (sic), which suggests a certain level of delusions of grandeur if nothing else. Danny, for it is he, is from Germany, and according to his registration, was born in 1909, making him a wondrous 112 today. The centenarian’s top track on his MySpace site was funkysh*tJam, surely something which Goering and co grooved to in 1930’s Germany.

Actually, our old Flashman is one of many candidates today who joined, stayed for all of a brief time, and contributed diddly squat to the site, which fills me with amazement as to why they bothered to register in the first place. Take san1010, or Shin Hung Ho as he was named 53 years ago today. He joined us for 39 minutes in 2008, and has never been seen again. I mean, why? Why?

Jaferrandez, or José Antonio Ferrandez as his parents named him 64 years ago in sunny Logroño, did at least hang about for almost three years, although he never provided us with the benefit of his wisdom.

José is another of those people who has dabbled in a wee bit of amateur recording, and whose frankly rather bizarre efforts can be heard on his Soundcloud site, including the altogether funky Hong Kong Rap. Phooey would be proud, no doubt. jaferrandez | Jose Antonio Ferrandez | Free Listening on SoundCloud There is some rather more familiar, and acceptable to us, fare on his contributions to Discogs at jaferrandez / Contributions 

Others, as we have seen, merely register in order to flog us something, or in the case of maerom1000 join us in order to convince the prog experts that their favourite band is a serious candidate for inclusion. Bruno César is 44 today, and hails from Portugal, and when he joined listed his interest as música de desporto, or sports music to those of us who speak Inglese. Bruno was desperate for the hairy bunch known to their adoring fans as Lamb of God to be included on the site, and made 5 posts to that effect in 2009, before he buggered off not to be seen again after being told that they were not, in fact, prog but ‘eavy ‘eadbangers. For those of you who wish to explore this cheerful looking group of lads, check them out at Lamb Of God – Official Website

The discussion is at Pro Prog Metal Bands - Progressive Rock Music Forum

So, Felicidades, Bruno! Keep banging that head, sir!

In collab news, today is the 44th birthday of b_olariu. Bogdan hails from Romania, and is a Prog Reviewer and prolific contributor to the site. Many happy returns, Bogdan! 

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2021 at 11:03
As always...well done.

JD trivia fact #17
Way back when I was a new member I sent Bogdan (b_olariu) a number of the BUSKER CD's for him to review. He was very generous in his reviews.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2021 at 05:50
There were quite a few interesting types who qualified as potential targets for today’s Sunday Roasting of a birthday, which, I suppose, means that we are in clover for at least a few more years on 21 February.

KublaKhan, for instance, is celebrating his 106th birthday in Brazil today, and by the look of his signature is looking pretty damned good for his age.

Continuing the long list of performing artists who have graced our sites, especially those of the extremely hairy and head banging variety, is Gerard celebrating his 43rd birthday in Poland today, although listening to his band Perihellium’s output this morning, I hope that the music they play at his party is a wee bit more uplifting than the doom fest that is Prototype:Day One Perihellium This lot are on both PA and Headbanging Archives, so check them out. PERIHELLIUM discography and reviews

However, the star of today’s rumination is a rap fan. Yep, that’s right, the genre where mainly fat black blokes mumble over a sampled piece of music and are the only personages left on Planet Earth allowed to say a certain word beginning with N without being strung up by the nearest lamppost .

Jibbs joined our happy fellowship in January 2006, and stayed for less than one minute and never bothered us again. Jim, as his parents rather boringly named him 31 years ago today in Da Hood, was obviously a little bit confused about the musical boundaries between hippies such as Jon Anderson singing about love and light, and said fatties boringly threatening to shoot each other all the time.

His signature provides us with a clue, as well as his forum name. “I’m like Mother Teresa with a glock”. Now this interested me a wee bit, because Mr Laz lives a rather sheltered existence in the wilds of West Sheepland, and had never heard of a glock. So imagine my surprise when I discovered that it is, in fact, a firearm. Yep, a gun.  GLOCK Inc. | GLOCK Pistols | Buy Guns Online Amusingly, in an abundance of caution for “guests” and employees, the purveyors of shooting luxury are closed for walk-in commerce in these difficult pandemic times, but always available to allow said guests to buy their wares and shoot the bollocks off of anyone they take a dislike to. The mind doth boggle. 

I then thought that his occupation, Master of the Custodial Arts, was a reference to Mr Jibbs perhaps doing a stretch of porridge in the State Penitentiary for being a wee bit too eager with his pet Glock. But no. The truth is a little bit more pedestrian, I am afraid, Custodial Arts being da yoof on da streets slang for a janitor. Really, this is not a joke. Urban Dictionary: master of the custodial art

I also found out that Jibbs is, in fact, the name of a rapper of small time success. Jibbs - Wikipedia Mr Laz, in the interests of assisting the growth of musical knowledge for all readers of this thread, listened to his second single, King Kong, which features another lovely chap going by the name of Chamillionaire. You too can listen to this bloody awful racket, which surely only appeals to those with a mental age of 2, or blokes who have to clean bogs for a living, at; https://youtu.be/Eh1kgwF6Z-I

Our friend Jim was born in the same year as Mr Jibbs, but in a different month, so I am confident that our one-time associate was not said Donkey Kong, but a fan. 

So! Let us hope that Our Jim is celebrating his special day by firing off a few rounds at his favourite saintly posters! Shake that mop carefully, Jim!

Elsewhere, present senior member Twseel is 23 today, and is a prolific contributor to our beloved gathering. Actually, our friend does share quite a bit in common with the rapper, in that his job is that of a vacuum cleaner and language hearer, which should be handy in interpreting the indecipherable cobblers our rappers spout out. Happy birthday, Sir! 

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2021 at 11:45
Today, we visit the wonderful world of Amishrefugee, and introduce you all to Deviant Art. This thread, as you must know by now, is absolutely dedicated to expanding the cultural experience of its readers, and if it features a wee bit of deviant titillation, well so much the better. You will have to wait for that, though.

Austin is 32 today, and resides in St. Louis in The Land of The Free. Now we don’t know for certain whether young Austin is, in fact, a refugee from The Amish communities, but the signs are good. I mean why else leave unless a wee bit of deviant behaviour was involved?

The Amish are a Christian community, descended from Swiss German Anabaptists of the Mennonite persuasion. Made famous by that rather good Harrison Ford movie Witness with the rather sumptuous Kelly McGillis, who unfortunately has not to my knowledge figured in any deviant art production, and believe me I have searched, our fundamentalist friends dress simply, live on the land, are pacifist, eschew modern technology (so not many PA members, I’m afraid), and breed like the proverbial rabbits. 

There is, in fact, a rather jolly growing up ritual practised by some of the brethren, namely Rumspringa. This is the time when certain youngsters “jump or hop around”, involving such bestiality as boozing, going a little bit wild, and lots of horizontal jogging with other lusty youths, before settling down and rejoining the community. If they don’t, well there is a jolly good shunning in store for them. The community, and, no doubt, The Lord, send them to the celestial equivalent of Coventry for ever. The rest of us mere mortals, of course, just get married and get tied to the mortgage and career treadmill.

Austin, then, took himself orf, and according to his LastFM profile discovered the delights of that well-known bunch of rebels and reprobates, erm Genesis AmishRefugee’s Music Profile | Last.fm Further, he discovered Deviant Art, no doubt whilst enjoying a quiet bit of rumpy pumpy on his Rumspringa, the rogue. Yep, he succumbed to temptation my friends, and went over to the dark side.

So, now the moment all of you red-blooded (mainly) men and women have been waiting for. The debut on Prog Archives of genuine Deviant Art. Steady yourselves. Come on now, boys. Behave with maturity, this is art. Culture.

Here we go. AmishRefugee - Digital Artist | DeviantArt Yes, I know. Rather disappointing, is it not? You see, Mr Laz thought that he would be viewing some decent naked and weird flesh as well, and took himself off to the study to do this piece tonight away from the somewhat jealous and not particularly understanding of such matters Mrs Laz. I needn’t have bothered, because Deviant Art is, apparently, an online gallery where “art and community thrive”. Oh well, I suppose you can never entirely take away the Amish tendencies!

Austin stayed for all of 20 minutes way back in February 2009. So, we say Happy Birthday, Sir! Next time you post on an art community, ask them to get ‘em off! Please! I’m a red-blooded male, and the book said I could not fail!

Elsewhere, no collab special days to report today, I am afraid. Time for a cold bath before supper, methinks! 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 19>