Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Area vs Ys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which RPI Classic Do You Prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [38.24%]
21 [61.76%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Area vs Ys
    Posted: January 21 2021 at 00:58
vs

Ready?! GO!!!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 01:19
Work sets you free. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 01:26
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Work sets you free. 

Finally got my CD copy yesterday, hence this poll!

I NEVER hear anyone talk about this band or album, yet it's top 5 on RPI here and I probably would've never found it otherwise TBH!

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 02:52
That’s an incredibly difficult one. I think you might get a different answer from me on a different day, but for today, I’m going for Ys.

Both fantastic albums though, and absolutely essential additions to anyone’s collection, if they listen to Italian prog from the ‘70s. There’s a reason they are rated highly on PA! ❤️

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 02:57
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Work sets you free. 

I NEVER hear anyone talk about this band or album, yet it's top 5 on RPI here and I probably would've never found it otherwise TBH!

Weird, as I wouldn’t have thought it would make a great deal of difference over a couple of hours, but out of interest I just looked at the chart now and Area is at #7. Regardless, definitely a top 10, and I’d personally put it a bit higher. (Then again, Isola is my favourite PFM album, and that is sitting just outside the top ten, at #11, while the preceding two are at #1 and #4, so my personal top ten RPI would be more different than just moving Area.)

[EDIT below]

I just realised I have every album in the PA top ten, even if they wouldn’t necessarily match my own top ten. And I own 59 of the PA top 100. But boy there’s a lot of really great RPI albums nearer the bottom of the list I’d be putting higher, and vice versa! And there’s some albums I love that aren’t in the PA top 100 at all (or else I just managed to miss them as I browsed through it). Corte dei Miracoli definitely springs to mind.

Edited by nick_h_nz - January 21 2021 at 03:06
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 03:14

Work sets you free. 

Nice. It took me awhile to find it, but once I did I scooped it up (this had to be like 10 years ago now) and loved it ever since. Push comes to shove, this is the Area album that I'd chose as my favorite. 

And that's fair. There are a good number of people here who enjoy Area but it has definitely been awhile since I've seen them mentioned, outside of a poll. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 03:40
Area just by a whisker
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 03:55
Il Balletto Di Bronzo - Ys
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 06:01
Ys gets the nod.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 07:12
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Work sets you free. 

Weird, as I wouldn’t have thought it would make a great deal of difference over a couple of hours, but out of interest I just looked at the chart now and Area is at #7. Regardless, definitely a top 10, and I’d personally put it a bit higher. (Then again, Isola is my favourite PFM album, and that is sitting just outside the top ten, at #11, while the preceding two are at #1 and #4, so my personal top ten RPI would be more different than just moving Area.)

[EDIT below]

I just realised I have every album in the PA top ten, even if they wouldn’t necessarily match my own top ten. And I own 59 of the PA top 100. But boy there’s a lot of really great RPI albums nearer the bottom of the list I’d be putting higher, and vice versa! And there’s some albums I love that aren’t in the PA top 100 at all (or else I just managed to miss them as I browsed through it). Corte dei Miracoli definitely springs to mind.

TBH it might have actually been 7 and not 5 to begin with my friend, don't consider yourself nuts first, I was probably off! LOL

I was JUST thinking I also own the PA top 10. Looking at it now, out of the top 30, all I'm missing is Hybris Anglagard.

nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 07:22

Work sets you free. 

[EDIT below]

TBH it might have actually been 7 and not 5 to begin with my friend, don't consider yourself nuts first, I was probably off! LOL

I was JUST thinking I also own the PA top 10. Looking at it now, out of the top 30, all I'm missing is Hybris Anglagard.

Oh, I didn’t look at the PA top 10 in general. I was speaking only about the RPI list, of which I own the entire top 10, and 59 of the top 100.

Having had a quick look at PA’s overall list, again (like you) I have the whole top 10. But you have one more than me from the top 30. I have the Änglagård, but not Harmonium or Wobbler.

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 07:36
Love both albums. Went with Ys by a narrow margin.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 08:29
NOT FAIR!! 
My favorite RPI band by far versus the greatest RPI album of all-time! 
It's just not fair!

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 09:46
I love Ys

don't really like Area
Prog On!
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 10:11
voted Il Balletto Di Bronzo

cant stand the voice of Demetrio Stratos
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 10:46
I am and I always was a great fan of this guys. So, Area.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 22:25
YS, very easily.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2021 at 23:20

Work sets you free. 

[EDIT below]

Oh, I didn’t look at the PA top 10 in general. I was speaking only about the RPI list, of which I own the entire top 10, and 59 of the top 100.

Having had a quick look at PA’s overall list, again (like you) I have the whole top 10. But you have one more than me from the top 30. I have the Änglagård, but not Harmonium or Wobbler.

See? I told you I wasn't even paying attention in the proper list, LOL LOL.

For top 10 RPI I own everything except Zarathustra.

Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 07:00
Both are strong and original albums.
 YS +1
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 07:37
Originally posted by digdug digdug wrote:

I love Ys

don't really like Area

^This....another Doug agrees

Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>