Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Southern Empire's vocalist!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squire Jaco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Southern Empire's vocalist!
    Posted: January 21 2021 at 11:48
Nearly every reviewer of Southern Empire's albums makes a special note of how great the lead vocals of Danny Lopresto are, and I agree.  It wasn't until today that I finally realized which other famous vocalist he sounds like at times: 
Burton Cummings from The Guess Who!  Check it out for yourself. 
(and Cummings is one of my favorite rock vocalists.)
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 05:34
I only saw negative reviews and would rather agree with them.
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 11:39
You're reading the wrong reviews then. He's brilliant, one of the best vocalists in recent times of prog.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 14:16
I enjoy this band quite a bit, didn't find anything wrong with the vocals. Confused
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 14:16
This is a band I certainly have to check out.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 17:04
I really like his vocals, and the band in general

foregonillusions View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foregonillusions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 21:22
The vocals are quite good, but I wish their instrumental sections were longer because the interplay, melodies, and solos put a smile on my face without fail--as the video above me shows. Also, more violin and saxophone, please!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2021 at 21:30
I can’t tell if the vocals are great or not, and don’t care much about such evaluations, but they sound too AORish for my tastes. The band rather reminds me of Transatlantic, which isn’t my cup of tea.   

Edited by Logan - January 23 2021 at 21:39
Nomadic View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nomadic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2021 at 14:07
Big fan of Southern Empire here. Danny is a monster vocalist and super cool guy. I met him in Chicago a couple of years ago with some of the Unitopia guys. I get the AOR comment - that's generally not my thing - but they go so far beyond that. There are great vocal harmonies and hooks, but the instrumental sections that come along later in some of the tunes are well worth the wait. Brody kills on the drums, and Sean Timms is an excellent keyboardist and soundsmith (is that a word?). I put them right up there with Frost*, Haken, Riverside, etc.
http://nomadichorizonband.com
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2021 at 22:59
Anyone know what's going on with their latest album? They said it was going to be released earlier this year, but things have been completely silent since.

Also, to stay on topic -- he's gotta be one of the better vocalists in the game right now. And with Civilisation, the band as a whole is one of the best in the business right now.  
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 11:11
I really like Southern Empire but NOBODY can sing like Ol' Burton Cummings could back in the day. That's how you get an international airport named after you!!
The Prog Corner
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2021 at 17:27
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I really like Southern Empire but NOBODY can sing like Ol' Burton Cummings could back in the day. That's how you get an international airport named after you!!

I don’t really hear the resemblance. But yeah, Burton is truly one of the all time great voices in popular music history, and unfortunately massively underrated at this point in time. 
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2021 at 14:19
Originally posted by POTA POTA wrote:

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

I don’t really hear the resemblance. But yeah, Burton is truly one of the all time great voices in popular music history, and unfortunately massively underrated at this point in time. 

Come to think of it, I don't really hear ANY resemblance there at all but it was an excellent opportunity to expound on my Burton Cummings fandom...
The Prog Corner
 Post Reply Post Reply